Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 11:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,901 times

Advertisements

We just got the word that my fiance will be starting a new job in chantilly (he'll be driving to work), while I'll be catching the metro into DC for a new job of my own (we'll be moving down from new england soon). I'm trying to find one-bedroom rental apartment somewhere that won't drive either of us commute-crazy. On the absolute must-have list: 1) short walk to a metro, and 2) safe place to walk a small dog alone at night. He's willing to spend up to 45 mins in the car every morning, and I'm hoping to keep my door-to-desk time at or under that if possible. Max rent pre-utilities is 1600, but we're hoping to spend less if at all possible.

By way of background, we're a young couple in our mid-20's with no kids. I'd love to live somewhere walkable with car-less access to restaurants, parks, movie theaters, etc., but I can lose it if necessary (so long as I keep that short, safe walk to the metro). I was originally looking at pentagon city/crystal city/braddock road/eisenhower stops, but now that chantilly's definite, I'm wondering if I should start considering the orange line too? I don't care whether it's a high rise, townhouse, single structure or what have you, I just want to find a place that makes sense geographically and financially (that's also clean, safe, and comfortable...with in-unit laundry

Which metro stop would you try to search around? Any particular apartment buildings there you'd recommend or warn us to avoid? I'm having a hard time getting any info online because it seems like all of the buildings with reviews have almost uniformly poor ones. Any other suggestions?

Any recommendations will be really appreciated! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 06:54 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,813,087 times
I think that's a pretty steep list of wants at a price point which will be difficult to find. I think looking around Dunn Loring Metro Station might work. What Metro stop in DC will you be getting off at?

Old 02-07-2014, 07:34 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,320,888 times
Maybe Falls Church City, near the intersection of route 7/route 29. The zip code there is 22046. I lived there in a condo and it's very walkable to parks, restaurants, bars, cafes, etc. Not a movie theater though as far as I remember. It's walkable to East Falls Church Metro too, although I don't know what you consider short. I think it took me about 10-15 minutes to walk there. I think you could find a 1 BR in the area for that price.

Commute-wise it's kind of in the middle. I think your husband could get to Chantilly in 45 minutes since it's a reverse commute although I never commuted that direction when I lived there. For you it would be very convenient access to DC.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:50 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,520,374 times
1600 for a short walk to Metro isn't going to fly really well, not unless you're willing to rent a room in some guy's basement or have a third roommate.

Chantilly won't be much fun as a reverse commute from Arlington, 66 gets very tied up in Arlington, 50 gets tied up for reverse commuters around Chantilly. Falls Church might work better, rents are a little lower, you're generally near metro, and the worst of 66 traffic for reverse commuting is between the Dulles Toll Road/66 merge and Glebe Road.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,901 times
Thank you both! I'll start checking out Dunn Loring and Falls Church asap.

If it helps, I think I can get off at either the archives stop or the judiciary square one for work. And we definitely don't need to live walking distance to the movies or anything (that'd be great and all, but it's nowhere near a requirement). I guess a short walk for me is 10 mins or less? And in terms of the actual apartment, it doesn't have to be super modern or luxurious (carpet is fine, doesn't have to be big, etc.). Most important is that it's safe, clean, walking distance to a metro, and doesn't make our commutes much worse than they need to be.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:56 AM

15,438 posts, read 25,857,929 times
Check Vienna too. I don't know about the rent, but it would be an easy drive to Chantilly, and right by the Metro station. Probably costs too much, but that's my first thought.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:08 AM

406 posts, read 620,548 times
1600 should get you a nice 1 BR near Vienna or Dunn Loring, not sure about further in than that? Dunn Loring would let you walk to new Mosaic district shopping/dining, which would seem more appealing than what is walkable from Oakton/Vienna area. But neither would be walkable in a broader sense. But living near Vienna would be a short drive to Fair Oaks/Fairfax Corner to hang out and from either location you could meet up after work or metro into Arlington for other activities.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:29 PM

4 posts, read 6,759 times
I think what you want is reasonable budget wise. Obviously look along the orange line for area that is currently served by the Metro however since you said it would be a little while till you moved here. I would suggest you consider Reston. The Silver Line should be open in the next 3 months or so. When the Silver Line opens it will provide you a one seat ride into DC. In the mean time Reston is well served by a bus network. During commuting hours there is extensive coverage feeding into the Metro at West Falls Church depending where you work in DC would be a little less than an hour trip. Reston is a very safe area (honestly most areas that you are looking are safe) my complex has plenty of space for dog walking and short drive to a off leash dog park and walking distance to the Reston Town Center. The town center have movie, food, and shops. If you are interested let me know I would gladly provide you a referral. Reston would also be a little cheaper than Falls Church so you will be a couple hundred below your budget.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:07 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,737,095 times
If you can find something in DC for that price, he'll have a reverse commute, and you'll have a short one. Take a look at SW DC.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:13 PM

617 posts, read 1,357,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Falls Church might work better, rents are a little lower, you're generally near metro, and the worst of 66 traffic for reverse commuting is between the Dulles Toll Road/66 merge and Glebe Road.
How bad are we talking? My wife and I may move to the Falls Church area in a year or two, near where I grew up. Her job is in Manassas. I know it can occasionally be bad, but I figured she would usually have a smooth trip. She would be getting on 66 from Rt. 7 near George Mason High School, if we make this move. On a typical day, would she be able to get to the Manassas area in 30-40 minutes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia