Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 05:49 AM

10 posts, read 15,526 times

Advertisements

All,

As I've mentioned in another thread, we're looking to relocate to Arlington.

Given that so much of the housing stock was built in the 40s and 50s (some earlier and later, but this seems to be the most common vintage), is there anything in particular to watch out for in those classic Arlington houses?

Lead paint?
HVAC issues?
Wiring?
Issues with additions causing problems?
Radon?

I actually really like those smaller brick houses, but I'd hate to stretch the budget to buy a place only to realize I need to completely rewire the house or remediate lead paint or something.

Thanks!

Last edited by DC area refugee; 02-09-2014 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 06:34 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,741,467 times
We've owned two such houses in Arlington--one built in the '30s and one in the '40s. Overall, houses from this era are much more well-built than those built now. Real 2x4 lumber as opposed to "nominal" 2x4s, plaster walls, and (if you're lucky) slate roofs.

As to lead paint: Keep in mind that lead paint was used for decades, and it's only recently that society has gotten progressively stupider. Einstein likely grew up in a house with lead paint--as did Enrico Fermi, Steinbeck, Vonnegut, and pretty much everyone born before the '70s. The issue was flaking lead paint. If the lead paint was continually painted over, it didn't get into the air. If it wasn't maintained, it flaked and got into the air. At any rate, there might be some lead paint under layers and layers of latex in various places, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Our old house did have asbestos around the pipes in the unfinished basement, but again, it's only a real risk if you're the one mining it or if you walk up and beat on it while inhaling. Otherwise, it just sits there, being an excellent insulator. But most of these houses have had theirs removed (or covered by drywall in finished basements).

Wiring: We've never had any problems. Even fabric insulation doesn't degrade much at all if there's no abrasion and no moisture. The wiring to be afraid of is aluminum (as opposed to copper) wiring, which was only used in the '70s and not everywhere.

I think radon is more of a problem farther west in Loudoun and maybe parts of Fairfax. There's a map somewhere online. But radon would affect a newer house as well--but generally only if there's exposed earth in the basement. (Being a gas, it follows the path of least resistance to get outdoors.)

The biggest challenge we've found with living in older houses is small closets and small doorways, which make it a little harder to move furniture and appliances (and fat friends) into the house. But there's always a way.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:20 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,241,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
The biggest challenge we've found with living in older houses is small closets and small doorways, which make it a little harder to move furniture and appliances (and fat friends) into the house. But there's always a way.
And getting furniture upstairs. I had to remove about 3 of the lower stair treads in order to get a queen boxspring mattress upstairs in one of the Arlington houses I lived in.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:21 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,322,297 times
The above post by Carlingtonian is good info. You can find issues with a house built in any era. Pre 80s asbestos was a problem. We had some in our 1970s townhouse. Possibly lead paint too. 1980s homes can have that bad piping(polybutylene?). If you buy a house built in 2005 then it probably was thrown up hastily with cheap quality. I agree older houses are generally built with better materials. I wouldn't worry about it if your inspection is clean.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:08 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,692,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
We've owned two such houses in Arlington--one built in the '30s and one in the '40s. Overall, houses from this era are much more well-built than those built now. Real 2x4 lumber as opposed to "nominal" 2x4s, plaster walls, and (if you're lucky) slate roofs.

As to lead paint: Keep in mind that lead paint was used for decades, and it's only recently that society has gotten progressively stupider. Einstein likely grew up in a house with lead paint--as did Enrico Fermi, Steinbeck, Vonnegut, and pretty much everyone born before the '70s. The issue was flaking lead paint. If the lead paint was continually painted over, it didn't get into the air. If it wasn't maintained, it flaked and got into the air. At any rate, there might be some lead paint under layers and layers of latex in various places, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Our old house did have asbestos around the pipes in the unfinished basement, but again, it's only a real risk if you're the one mining it or if you walk up and beat on it while inhaling. Otherwise, it just sits there, being an excellent insulator. But most of these houses have had theirs removed (or covered by drywall in finished basements).

Wiring: We've never had any problems. Even fabric insulation doesn't degrade much at all if there's no abrasion and no moisture. The wiring to be afraid of is aluminum (as opposed to copper) wiring, which was only used in the '70s and not everywhere.

I think radon is more of a problem farther west in Loudoun and maybe parts of Fairfax. There's a map somewhere online. But radon would affect a newer house as well--but generally only if there's exposed earth in the basement. (Being a gas, it follows the path of least resistance to get outdoors.)

And the lumber used was "old growth"....not the farm-raised "whitewood" crap that they use today.

Some old houses may also have knob & tube wiring....used from the 1880s to the 1930s. That type of wiring would give me the creeps.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:08 AM

FCNova's post reminded me of one thing the OP should be aware of: galvanized (steel) plumbing. These are the thick black pipes. The hard water will corrode them over time on the inside. It will take decades, but at some point, they'll need to be replaced. What you want is copper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Some old houses may also have knob & tube wiring....used from the 1880s to the 1930s. That type of wiring would give me the creeps.
Me too. Though our late-1930s house had the later kind of wiring (and circuit breakers instead of fuses, fortunately). Not sure when the cutoff was for knob-and-tube.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:48 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,431,586 times
I think the hardest part of buying a home from the 40/50s in Arlington is outbidding the developer who's going to tear it down and build a million dollar mansion on the lot. Any old Arlington rambler home that needs major work is going to be a tear down.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:13 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,105,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
I think the hardest part of buying a home from the 40/50s in Arlington is outbidding the developer who's going to tear it down and build a million dollar mansion on the lot. Any old Arlington rambler home that needs major work is going to be a tear down.
I would think that, if the homes really merited the adjective "classic," as with some of the homes in Country Club Hills or Arlington Ridge, they'd be prohibitively expensive for a teardown.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I would think that, if the homes really merited the adjective "classic," as with some of the homes in Country Club Hills or Arlington Ridge, they'd be prohibitively expensive for a teardown.
Actually, I've seen many gorgeous old homes torn down. The most heartbreaking example was my dream house, 510 N. Monroe in Virginia Square; I used to drive by it on occasion. A beautiful 1920s stone bungalow on a huge lot, surrounded by tall old trees. It's now occupied by several hideous new three-story townhouses. And all the trees are gone.

I've also seen a beautiful and spacious Sears bungalow torn down in Bluemont. Lyon Park has seen some really nice Spanish Colonials and bungalows torn down. The problem is these people with more money than taste, who will gladly pay $1.2 million for a siding-covered barn with a gaping garage out front. If the demand were not there, the developers wouldn't do these teardowns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia