Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 12:48 PM

26 posts, read 48,376 times

Advertisements

I found this home in Lake Ridge and was wondering how long would it take to commute to the pentagon from the home?

4609 Ryecliff Ct, Woodbridge, VA 22192 is For Rent - Zillow

It's my urnderstanding that this area is nice for families with kids. Not sure why this home has been on the market for soooooo long (over 140 days). I called and its still available. It feeds into schools with good ratings. Is it a safe area?

It says its 27 miles to the Pentagon but not sure what that equates to in VA traffic? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 01:04 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,254 times
That home is near where I live. Yes, it is a safe area.

Commute to the Pentagon--- depends on time of day and whether or not you use the HOV lanes. It could be as quick as 30-35 minutes or well over an hour. Best commute would be to use the Slug lines.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:18 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
I live in Lake Ridge, and I love the area. That house is situated in a nice and relatively safe neighborhood. Afraid I can't comment on the quality of the schools since I don't have kiddos.

If your husband is driving in the main lanes of I95, count on an approx. 75 minute commute on a "good" day. However, there are commuter buses that go to the Pentagon and there are slugging options. Also, there will be the option of an express toll lane on I95 but those are expected to be open early next year.

OmniRide and Metro Direct Schedules/06

Route 123 and I95 Slug Line
Tackett's Mill Slug Line
Horner Road Slug Line

I commute to Alexandria. From door to door, it's 25 miles and it takes me about an hour (on a good day). The traffic really jams on I395 just past the I495 interchange (which I am able to avoid) so I think that stretch to the Pentagon will really slow your hubby down.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:19 PM

Thanks artyguy. What about buses or metro? Is metro even an option out that way?

Old 02-25-2014, 01:22 PM

870 posts, read 2,108,549 times
The commute factor might be an issue, if you want a one of less than an hour. Once you get to I-95 via bus or slugging, your husband will be fine (~20-25 minutes from between Exit 160 and the Pentagon). However, he will need to travel all the way down Old Bridge from near Hoadley, which can take a long time (20-40 minutes, depending on traffic). The home is also located a decent distance from Old Bridge, which again adds to the commute.

As for the house, it looks really nice and is located in a very new, upscale area of 22192. I would not be concerned at all about safety there. As to why it's been on the market, I would be willing to bet it is a combination of timing, location, and expense. $3250 is on the high side of rents in Prince William County, and it would have gone to market sometime in October. By then, most people who would be interested in a home of that size would be settled for the year, as they would usually have kids (as you do) and would prefer to not move in the middle of the school year. So, I would definitely not eliminate it from consideration simply because it's been on the market for a bit.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarpenter View Post
Thanks artyguy. What about buses or metro? Is metro even an option out that way?
Metro stops at Springfield; Woodbridge is another 10 miles south.

Regional bus is Omniride (PRTC)- See PRTC - The Ride That's Right For You

He would look at the Lake Ridge/Pentagon routes (OmniRide Lake Ridge-Pentagon & Crystal City AM Schedule). However, he would need to drive in to a commuter lot as the bus does not operate that far out.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:25 PM

Thanks all. He would be leaving the home by 5am every morning. His return time would be around 6:30 pm. Would that change his drive time to a commuter lot?

Old 02-25-2014, 01:29 PM

Wow. 5am departure would have almost no traffic to a bus stop and he could easily be at the Pentagon before 6am.

However, that would be a horrible time to get off in the evening. The HOV lanes open to all traffic at 6pm, and it can be stop-and-go the whole 20 miles down (and at a minimum from Springfield to Woodbridge) on I-95/395 after 6pm. With such a long day, would he be working only 4 days per week? Any chance he can get off at 5:30pm instead? That hour could make a 2 hour difference in the time he gets home.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:40 PM

Lol, nope 5 day work weeks. He is used to the early mornings. He doesn't sleep well. So, even if he gets on a bus at 6:30 it would still take a long time because the HOV lanes are now up to all? What's a normal time on the bus he could expect if he got on at 6:30? I know he would then haven to drive from the commuter lot so that would add time too. He can ask the guys he's replacing about the normal end of day times? Do most jobs let out before 6 for that very reason?

Old 02-25-2014, 01:42 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarpenter View Post
I found this home in Lake Ridge and was wondering how long would it take to commute to the pentagon from the home?

4609 Ryecliff Ct, Woodbridge, VA 22192 is For Rent - Zillow

It's my urnderstanding that this area is nice for families with kids. Not sure why this home has been on the market for soooooo long (over 140 days). I called and its still available. It feeds into schools with good ratings. Is it a safe area?

It says its 27 miles to the Pentagon but not sure what that equates to in VA traffic? Thanks
edit* disregard, didnt click on the link posted.

$3000 rentals aren't typically homes that get snatched up quickly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia