Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 11:39 AM

22 posts, read 44,648 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon!

My family is moving to Winchester this summer. My husband has accepted a job at the Medical Center. My oldest son will be starting kindergarten in the fall so there is an added dimension to looking for a place to live. We are looking to rent for the first 1-2 years while we learn the area and figure out where we want to buy a house (within 10-15 minutes of the hospital). Rental Budget is under $2k and housing purchase will be around $500k.

I see there are 4 elementary schools. John Kerr has great scores and seems to be recommended by those we met when we visited the area.

Anyone have experience with Frederick Douglass, Garland or VA Avenue? I see the test scores are lower for Garland and VA Avenue but I know test scores aren't everything.

Any thoughts?

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 09:51 AM

91 posts, read 130,434 times
VA is a rough school. Great administrators though. It's just in a rough neighborhood. I wouldn't recommend it. Don't know about others.

Any reason you are thinking city only? The hospital is right on the edge of the county, which is where most employees there live. Lots of options for land and housing in the county. I live near Greenwood Elementary, which is a 12 min drive to the hospital in the morning.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:18 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,105,203 times
Cannot comment on the elementary schools but I do know some folks (with older kids) who prefer to stay in the city because they want their kids to attend John Handley High School.

Schools on the outskirts of Winchester City are part of the Frederick County school system. Although it's often difficult to tell the exact dividing lines. Perhaps take a look at neighborhoods, developments, etc. first and see what schools are nearby. Good luck!

Old 03-30-2015, 02:49 PM

166 posts, read 363,483 times
I have a kindergartener at Frederick Douglass now and we have been very pleased. Great education, friendly staff, nice school. Keep in mind though that they are opening a new building to replace the current John Kerr for the 2016-17 school year and they are still working on redistricting/ changing the elementary boundaries.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:51 PM

166 posts, read 363,483 times
Also, if you want to keep up with news about Winchester Schools, they are very active on Twitter. The district is @tweetwps and the superintendent is @lineburgm

Old 03-30-2015, 05:52 PM

Thanks for all the help and direction! I appreciate it.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:10 PM

862 posts, read 1,200,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Cannot comment on the elementary schools but I do know some folks (with older kids) who prefer to stay in the city because they want their kids to attend John Handley High School.

Schools on the outskirts of Winchester City are part of the Frederick County school system. Although it's often difficult to tell the exact dividing lines. Perhaps take a look at neighborhoods, developments, etc. first and see what schools are nearby. Good luck!

Frederick County actually has two schools that are inside the city limits of Winchester. Both middle schools..Frederick County Middle School and James Wood Middle. The county once had an elementary school in the city for many years ( Robinson ) just off from Paper Mill Road but was closed some years back . The closing was a bit controversial at the time as many felt it was a strictly city-county thing actually the auto parts plant ( the old Abex ) being more/less across the street played a far major role as to why the school was closed and Robinson was VERY small too.

Back in the 80s I can remember many county folks actually paying the city school district for their kids to attend Handley without actually living in Winchester city and it was vice-sersa too with those in Winchester city who rather their kids go to James Wood too but with so much growth taken place in recent years I doubt either school district allows it now.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:20 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,468,520 times
I don't have personal experience with Winchester schools but I have a lot of friends in town. The majority of the doctors, lawyers, businesses owners, "old Winchester" families send their children to the public schools, especially Handley. They seem quite happy with it and it certainly adds to the sense of community. Many still attend football games, drama productions, fundraisers long after their children graduate.

There is a Catholic elementary/middle school and a private elementary school, Powhattan, in Clarke County that do get some of the children.

Best of luck.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:52 AM

Thanks, again. We ended up looking in the Frederick Douglas and John Kerr schools areas. There weren't a lot of houses in either area and we ended up renting in John Kerr area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: