Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 11:32 AM

239 posts, read 938,479 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My son is currently in doing k4plus in private school in Loudoun county. He got 'A' in all the subjects. His teacher never spoke to me about his talents . But yesterday, when I went to drop him at school, his teacher started telling about him that he is way ahead of his classmates and he know times table, very good in reading and maths, she took to office to show them how fantastic he is. She told me he needs to be challenged and to have an appointment to talk to director about 1st grade curriculum.
Has anybody skipped a grade in private school in Loudoun county?
We are also thinking about skipping a grade in public school if it is offered.
If it is offered in both places, which one is better? I am unable to decide.need your suggestions.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 09:04 AM

239 posts, read 938,479 times
bump..no responders??

Old 04-03-2014, 09:18 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I skipped a grade years ago, back when it was a more common thing to do. At the time I thought it was a cool thing to do, but now that I'm older and looking back on my life I wish I hadn't done it.

I skipped 9th grade, and didn't regret saying see ya to the junior high school. But at the same time, in high school I was younger than the others. At the time I didn't see that was a problem, but looking back I can see I missed out on some normal activities that high school kids do because I was younger. And there were a few awkward moments that I could have avoided if I was the same age as the others. Being too young to drive was a problem. I also now realize that by being younger I attracted some bullies and some guys who asked me out on dates me for less than noble reasons. I hate to say it, but the older guys in high school take advantage of immature girls--and the girls may not have as many friends because they are younger than the others, so they are easy pickings.

I went off to college at 17 and that also led to problems--to be honest my college experience would have been richer in my freshman year if I had been able to do the things 18 years could. And, as in high school, being the young kid on campus means you an attract some unfortunate people to you.

Having said all this, it's not like it was a big trauma. I did just fine. But, my parents could have saved me from some unfortunate moments if they hadn't pushed me through school so fast and let me be with kids my own age.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:40 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Schedule a meeting with the director to see what they have to say.

I don't know what k4plus is or what school your son attends, but at my school it would not be suggested by a teacher that a child should skip a grade without some assessments being conducted and a discussion between the teacher and the director first.

At my school, the protocol for this would be for the teacher to discuss this with the director, some assessments and evaluations be conducted, the assessments and evaluations be analyzed by school personnel, and then a meeting with the parents.

Also, a teacher should not tell a parent that a child is "way ahead of his classmates" or in essence the smartest kid in the class. A better way to say it is to indicate that the child is advanced for their age group, and the curriculum is not challenging your child. And this should have been discussed at a parent/teacher conference and not at drop off. If this conversation happened as you say it did, it sounds unprofessional to me.

What about his maturity and emotional level? Are they on par with a 6 year-old? That is taken into account as well.

Schedule that meeting with the director before even thinking it's an option.

Skipping a grade: pros and cons - Academics & Activities | GreatSchools

Old 04-03-2014, 10:12 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
I did that back in the 1980s and I probably wouldn't have done it again going forward.

I was never athletic but that would have really put a damper on my athletic prospects. Academically was no issue. Socially (I'm a guy) there were some problems (nothing huge). I think most of what problems I had were related to me being me as opposed to me being a year younger.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:49 AM

526 posts, read 900,485 times
I think bright kids usually benefit more from a good GT (gifted/talented) program than from skipping a grade. As previous posters have pointed out, being younger than the kids in your class can be a disadvantage. A good GT program will allow kids to learn things in greater depth and things outside of the normal curriculum rather than just following the normal curriculum at an accelerated rate. A lot of private schools don't offer GT programs, though. I don't know anything about Loudoun county's GT program but it would be worth looking into.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:08 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
When is his birthday? When will he turn 5? My son has a July birthday so is among the youngest in his 1st grade class (although we no longer live in NoVA, it would have been the case there, too). He is still 6. Some of his classmates turned 7 before the start of 1st grade, some did in the fall, and some will do so this spring. But he won't until after school ends.

I am not sorry that I didn't hold him back, because he too if very bright and understands mathematical concepts my 3rd grader doesn't. However, I could not picture pushing him ahead and him being even younger. Now if he just missed the cutoff - possibly. There is a girl in his class who does have an October birthday who was pushed ahead so she is the actual youngest in the class. Academically, I know she is very bright as she and my son, along with two other kids in the class get pulled out for enrichment. However, I don't know how she is socially.

I will say many moms of boys with summer birthdays consider holding back versus sending on time. Your son will definitely be more than a full year younger than some of the kids. And with boys that can be an issue with size and development. With girls, who develop earlier and are generally more mature and can sit still longer (not everyone of course), it seems to be less of an issue.

I personally wouldn't do it. You can always do after school enrichment or classes or as others said, he can do gifted programs as he gets older.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:53 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,136,004 times
IMO skipping ahead a grade this early would put you child at a disadvantage in many areas.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:14 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
My wife skipped a grade and went to college at 16. She said she was socially very much an outsider. She did make friends eventually (other nerds, in her words) and did well academically--but I'm not sure what she got out of it in the long run.

At the same time, there are those kids you see who are actual geniuses, who graduate college at 13 and go on to do groundbreaking research. You know they'd have died of boredom had they been kept in their "normal" grade--and probably rebelled in some way.

I was young for my grade and somewhat immature, compared with my peers. I wonder if being "redshirted" would have helped me be more focused and less spastic. OTOH, I was ahead of everyone in English (but hated math). Maybe I just needed a constant IV drip of Ritalin.

Good luck with your decision. Take comfort in the knowledge that no matter what you do, there will be someone to tell you it was wrong.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:48 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,564 times
Here is a link to Loudoun County's Local Plan for the Gifted:

http://www.lcps.org/cms/lib4/VA01000...12%20DRAFT.pdf

I suggest reviewing the plan then contacting Loudoun County's Gifted Education department:

Gifted and Talented / Our Staff

and learn what your options might be. (Unfortunately I am only familiar with gifted services in Fairfax County Public Schools.)

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: