Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 7,921 times

Advertisements

Take $22/hour and deal with it. That is premium pay in the entry level job market today, no matter your field. It sounds like you are expecting to waltz into a six figure job only 2 years after graduating. Im not trying to be catty but there are so many more people out there that have far more years of experience, and varied experience at that, in this field so you are not going to slide into the highest echelons of pay off the bat. I would take the "low ball" as you say (get real dude) offer and wait out til the right thing comes along. To sit unemployed when youve recieved an offer like that is ridiculous. This is the new economy. All college graduates are having to accept the reality that the world isnt the big sparkly oyster that they thought it would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 10:31 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,250 times
^ That's a quality first post. Especially since the OP already came back and said his patience paid off and he landed a higher offer more in line with his expectations. It sounds like you don't know his field very well.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:05 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,253 times
Its better to sit unemployed a little longer and keep trying your best to find a reasonable job offer, rather than take a sh***y offer in the name of "opportunities, advancing your career, being grateful for what youre getting" and other corporate nonsense.

That's exactly what OP did, and what is why things worked out for him.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:27 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsnow009 View Post
Take $22/hour and deal with it. That is premium pay in the entry level job market today, no matter your field.
Oh really??

Old 05-22-2014, 01:40 PM

199 posts, read 334,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsnow009 View Post
Take $22/hour and deal with it. That is premium pay in the entry level job market today, no matter your field. It sounds like you are expecting to waltz into a six figure job only 2 years after graduating. Im not trying to be catty but there are so many more people out there that have far more years of experience, and varied experience at that, in this field so you are not going to slide into the highest echelons of pay off the bat. I would take the "low ball" as you say (get real dude) offer and wait out til the right thing comes along. To sit unemployed when youve recieved an offer like that is ridiculous. This is the new economy. All college graduates are having to accept the reality that the world isnt the big sparkly oyster that they thought it would be.
This post right here is why you should always look at advice from the internet with a critical eye. They clearly didn't even read past the first post before giving horrible, misleading advice.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - this talk about being "entitled" and to take clearly lowball offers because you're young and haven't "paid your dues" is complete bunk. You're worth whatever the market will pay. The OP got a new job at his original salary relatively quickly, so clearly he wasn't overvaluing himself.

Giving this kind of crap advice isn't just dumb - it's actively harmful because it just becomes a race to the bottom.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:33 AM

197 posts, read 166,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Its better to sit unemployed a little longer and keep trying your best to find a reasonable job offer, rather than take a sh***y offer in the name of "opportunities, advancing your career, being grateful for what youre getting" and other corporate nonsense.

That's exactly what OP did, and what is why things worked out for him.
this.... my field is highly sought after.. i tell recruiters to fugg off if the offer is low ball. And/or i just look up the scheduale rates and counter hard... or back channel to the govies.. or. well anyways. Reston and herndon are the balance in the area. If you cant get your money from the gov/ctring you can always go private...

Old 08-28-2015, 02:59 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,149 times
im trying to land an internship in IT. i have decided to stop going into debt for school since i cant seem to find anything in network.system admin/security wise.

funny enough, ive been getting calls and emails from recruiters for database and programming jobs,most non contractors, for 50-65k. im just not THAT confident in my skill set for those

my ideal plan is land a low paying job(id be happy at 20/hr), get experience and get comped to finish school.

i paid my way for my associate degree, but already 20k in debt and almost done with no payoff in sight, i kind of stepped back and waiting.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:57 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,723,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
im trying to land an internship in IT. i have decided to stop going into debt for school since i cant seem to find anything in network.system admin/security wise.

funny enough, ive been getting calls and emails from recruiters for database and programming jobs,most non contractors, for 50-65k. im just not THAT confident in my skill set for those

my ideal plan is land a low paying job(id be happy at 20/hr), get experience and get comped to finish school.

i paid my way for my associate degree, but already 20k in debt and almost done with no payoff in sight, i kind of stepped back and waiting.
If you can do the job at all, even if you're not confident, my advice would be to take one of those 55-65K jobs and don't look back! You're already $20K in debt and want to take on more--for what? If you can get these fairly well-paying jobs (very well paying for someone in their 20s) without whatever degree you think you lack, then what's the point of that degree?

Old 08-28-2015, 08:31 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
If you can do the job at all, even if you're not confident, my advice would be to take one of those 55-65K jobs and don't look back! You're already $20K in debt and want to take on more--for what? If you can get these fairly well-paying jobs (very well paying for someone in their 20s) without whatever degree you think you lack, then what's the point of that degree?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WCFUGCOLLU

Old 08-29-2015, 02:04 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,723,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Love that song. And yes, I do the hand clap every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia