Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 11:21 PM

16 posts, read 37,687 times

Advertisements

After searching for nearly 6 months I finally found a house that is in my price range and a good fit, location, etc. The house is in great shape, updated, backs to parkland, but the one big downside is no fireplace at all. If I lived in Florida or a warmer climate I don't think it would be as big of an issue but especially after this horrible winter we had I hate the thought of not having a fireplace. But even more importantly, my concern is about being able to resell the home later on due to this same issue. This is a very large development (Greenbriar in Fairfax) built in the early 70s. From what I understand some homes have no fireplaces, some have one and some have 2. However, this particular model most do have fireplaces. So again for the resale issue I am concerned.

Because these homes do not have basements and I don't believe there is a crawl space I'm wondering if it is even possible to run a gas line to install a gas fireplace? It does have gas heat, so there are obviously existing gas lines, but the furnace is on the opposite side of the home where a fireplace would go. If there is no crawl space I would not want to mess with having to go under cement slab to run a line to a fireplace due to safety and cost issues, and not even sure that is a possibility. Does anyone know if there is another way to run a gas line through the walls or ceiling or would that be totally cost prohibitive and unsafe? I know there are electric fireplaces, which are an option but again for resale of the home I don't think that would be too desirable, and obviously during power outages, which typically happen in cold weather it would be of no benefit.

So two questions....any way to safely run a gas line to install a fireplace without costing a fortune and if I can't install one is buying a home without a fireplace not a good idea for resale down the line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 12:43 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,980 times
Helped a client procure a home that did not have a gas line originally run to the fireplace by the builder. A gas line was routed <after the fact> through the unfinished portion of the basement, protruded through the exterior, and then back around to into the fireplace. Everything looked copacetic per the inspector, except for an inline Tee for *presumably* a gas hookup for a grill that at some point was removed. We requested the pinched off Tee be removed and replaced with a straight piece of line and everyone was happy.

Concerning your last question.. I have more clients that turn their noses up to the lack of fireplace than those that prefer to not have one.. Food for thought

Old 05-06-2014, 03:19 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,982 times
In my experience with both a gas and a wood fireplace in different homes we've owned, a gas fireplace is such a paltry imitation of the real thing that it only whets the appetite for the sizzle, pop, and smoky aroma of a real fire. It's like fat-free half-and-half--what's the point?!

Can you build a fire pit (or simply plop a metal one down) in the backyard?

Old 05-06-2014, 05:32 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,270,011 times
I would think that an outdoor firepit is no substitute for having fireplace indoors. On those nights when I want a fire, it's usually the nights that I have no desire to go outside.

I love my gas fireplace. No muss, no fuss, and it heats the room quite well. I have zero desire for a wood fireplace.

Sorry OP. I don't have an answer to your questions. But I do know that I would buy a home with a gas fireplace before I would one with a wood fireplace.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:50 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
I'm not interested in a fireplace at all and it would not faze me in the LEAST to buy a home without.

I have a wood fireplace. I use it maybe one a year and I don't really care for it. Messy.

I have gas in my home already and considered converting but I really just don't care and, in talking with my friends, family, no one seems to really care about them. But who knows, some people might feel very strongly about a fireplace.

Now a garage is quite another matter...

Old 05-06-2014, 06:00 PM

16 posts, read 37,687 times
Thanks Carlingtonian. I investigated something like a wood stove but it's far too complicated to place and vent so that is not an option. Someone actually suggested a back-up generator instead of a fireplace because when there are power outages in cold weather a fireplace is only going to warm a very small portion of the house. But I think while many people don't actually use their fireplace that much it's more the ambiance and homey feeling of having one that is an attraction for would-be buyers, myself included.

Christine VA, I totally agree about having a garage versus a fireplace no comparison. That is one of the big reasons I'm buying in Greenbriar because it is one of the few places to purchase a single family home with 2-car garage that is not a gazillion dollars. I have a ton of stuff in storage from moving out of my home in Oakton and that is after getting rid of a ton of stuff. So I will be very happy to have a garage for both my car and storage space.

Apexgds, I always had woodburning and while it is certainly messy and has other issues I did like the crackling burning of a real fire. But I am sure I'd be perfectly happy with a gas fireplace as well.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:45 PM

564 posts, read 1,493,559 times
I would still consider a house without a fireplace. Honestly its something I could live without if a house met all my other criteria.

For what its worth, my house has 2 fireplaces, one gas and one wood burning. I have used the log burning fireplace once in 5 years. I've used the gas probably 10 times. Its great for a little extra cozy heat while you watch a movie or something, without the effort or mess of a traditional fire.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:52 PM

462 posts, read 1,210,250 times
We converted our wood burning fireplace to gas and we are on a slab. You just need to run a line from the gas meter (outside of house) around to where the fireplace would be. My husband was able to do this himself with the help of the County permit/inspection office with minimal cost. Just need to make sure you get the proper piping and size. The pipe is attached to the base of the house and we painted it the same exterior color as the house so it really isn't an eyesore.

We use it to heat our house in the winter. Wouldn't give it up.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:22 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,672,167 times
Running a gas line to a fireplace (or anything else) shouldn't be a big deal. There are great products on the market now that are MUCH easier to work with than the old black iron gas piping.

You can bury it underground, fish it through walls like wiring. The gas company just replaced my supply line from the street with this stuff. They just dug a small hole by the street and shoved the new line through the old metal gas line!

Old 05-06-2014, 09:29 PM

214 posts, read 499,618 times
I have a gas fireplace but I would be fine without it, since it takes up a lot of wall/floor space. My gas furnace is much more efficient at heating up the house. I really only use it as place to hang stockings for Christmas.

To answer your question, I believe ours used to be wood-burning and was converted. We are on a concrete slab, so there is a gas line running along the side of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: