Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 05:00 PM

373 posts, read 872,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I think you are spot on with your school assessment. Charles County Schools have NEVER been well rated/regarded. And that's coming from a ton of people I know living there.
La Plata is actually the exception. It is a pretty good school. The rest...you would be correct. Its no TJ or one of the top tier Fairfax high schools, but education wise is probably equivalent to one of the middle of the pack Fairfax high schools. I grew up in Charles County and lived there until about 3.5 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 06:40 PM

10 posts, read 15,439 times
This is a reverse commute. I go from Vienna/Reston down the toll road 267 to the 495 beltway to route 5/301/branch ave up to laplata daily. It is 60 miles but also 65 minutes. Same for the return. It is always packed in the opposite direction morning and night and never on my route. I do leave later than most at about 9 am and return at 6-7 pm. So live near the beltway and your fine as this is a reverse commute.

The only slow areas are brandywine area where Costco is and near St charles mall in Waldorf. The rest is at 60 mph daily.

Get a nice Diesel or a Hybrid and enjoy the drive. I would rather drive 65 min in no traffic vs 45 min in stop and go traffic.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:42 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,443,917 times
As a student more than 20 years ago, I moved a lot and La Plata HS was one of the schools I went to. It was my absolute favorite of them all.

As an adult I lived in La Plata for a while and I loved it. It wasn't terribly busy and really you have access to everywhere.... NoVa, DC, etc.

I lived there just a few years ago. I wish I could move back!

There are some really nice homes in that area. I wouldn't discount it. My niece actually is graduating from La Plata HS next month and is a great student going great places!

Old 05-12-2014, 02:59 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,483,116 times
I was wondering if OP should consider Fredericksburg? Those of you who drive the area would know better but I'm sure there is a "good" public school where the doctors, lawyers, business owners, U of Mary Washington professors etc send their children.

That way, the children would be in Virginia for the college system.

The locals will know if it is too far to commute.

Best of luck, OP.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:00 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,026,176 times
The two areas are very different. La Plata is very isolated and doesn't have a lot of development around it compared to NoVA. Comparing the two places, La Plata is nice, but it really depends on what kind of lifestyle you desire. If you like to be around a mixtures of cultures, like to be close to tons of nice restaurants and have easier accessibility to DC, NoVA is a better option, but if you like a slower pace, less traffic, and perhaps less development around you, then La Plata is a better option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia