Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 01:41 PM

177 posts, read 278,402 times

Advertisements

I found a house, and like it very much, very good school district too.

The only thing I dislike is that the house is too close to Fairfax County Pkwy, not sure about the traffic and noise during weekdays.

This is the only thing bothering me to make the decision to buy the house.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 01:51 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,967 times
I think the Fairfax County has pretty constant traffic. And, it is probably a road that is only going to get more usage and lane widening as time goes on. If you can hear the traffic while you're at the house on the weekend, I wouldn't expect it to be a whole lot better on weekdays - probably worse during the morning and afternoon rushes.

I do think the sound barrier walls help in some places. It doesn't seem like you have to be that far away from the parkway before the noise level recedes. Probably the best thing to do is check out the neighborhood during some different times and see what you think - always a good thing to do anyways when considering whether to go for a particular house.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:58 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,601 times
Reselling could be an issue.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:07 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,317,667 times
How close is it? Does the lot actually front on the parkway or its near by to the community. With the landscape buffer and sound walls that are around most of it, I have family that lives within 1/4 mi of the parkway and they don't hear a thing.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
How close is it? Does the lot actually front on the parkway or its near by to the community. With the landscape buffer and sound walls that are around most of it, I have family that lives within 1/4 mi of the parkway and they don't hear a thing.
9439 PARK HUNT Ct, SPRINGFIELD, VA 22153 | MLS# FX8309561 | Redfin

Not the front on the pkwy, I think it is very close, I did hear a lot when open to door. But it is okay when the windows/doors are closed.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmssm View Post

Not the front on the pkwy, I think it is very close, I did hear a lot when open to door. But it is okay when the windows/doors are closed.
Yea thats on the parkway. Its gonna be noisy, and if there is any widenings (which is inevitable and I think even planned at this time with funding) then its really gonna get ugly quickly.

A real shame for that home owner, because his land value is being measurably affected by VDOTs gluttony for more lanes. But I wouldn't take it off his hands without a massive comparable reduction compared to other properties in his neighborhood. To me, dealing with that kind of mess is a 50%+ reduction, but then again I really hate highways.

I'd find elsewhere if I were you, but perhaps you like highways more than me.

BTW, the $448k, you can get a hell of a lot better in Burke. Look down near Lee Chapel area, look along Burke Road near Braddock. Plenty of full on houses away from highways, for less than 500k. You can get townhomes in Burke/Springfield for less than 400k easily.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Yea thats on the parkway. Its gonna be noisy, and if there is any widenings (which is inevitable and I think even planned at this time with funding) then its really gonna get ugly quickly.

A real shame for that home owner, because his land value is being measurably affected by VDOTs gluttony for more lanes. But I wouldn't take it off his hands without a massive comparable reduction compared to other properties in his neighborhood. To me, dealing with that kind of mess is a 50%+ reduction, but then again I really hate highways.

I'd find elsewhere if I were you, but perhaps you like highways more than me.

BTW, the $448k, you can get a hell of a lot better in Burke. Look down near Lee Chapel area, look along Burke Road near Braddock. Plenty of full on houses away from highways, for less than 500k. You can get townhomes in Burke/Springfield for less than 400k easily.
Well, this house comes with better school district than most houses in Burke.

I would not consider this house too, since it is too close. I did not say I like highway, I said it is bothering me to make the decision.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Well, this house comes with better school district than most houses in Burke.

I would not consider this house too, since it is too close. I did not say I like highway, I said it is bothering me to make the decision.
Which school? I honestly don't think the school zones in Burke are that drastically different (having gone to Keene Mill and Braddock and having friends at Robinson and West Springfield). Atleast not to the point where I'd be ok with living next to the highway, knowing that there is a planned widening at that location that will make life unbearable for several years if not condemn my property at that point.

If that property is in the school triangle you want, Lee Chapel (literally 1/4 mile to the northwest) will also be in that school zone unless this is on some sort of boundary. For 488k, you can certainly find better options still in that school zone.

For example

http://www.trulia.com/property/31467...Burke-VA-22015

Less than 1 mi away and in a neighborhood instead, and its a house instead ofa townhouse.

Or this townhouse for almost half the price in Burke
http://www.trulia.com/property/31390...Burke-VA-22015

And again, deepest condolences to the owner of this townhouse, he should file a lawsuit against VDOT for affecting his market value.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Which school? I honestly don't think the school zones in Burke are that drastically different (having gone to Keene Mill and Braddock and having friends at Robinson and West Springfield). Atleast not to the point where I'd be ok with living next to the highway, knowing that there is a planned widening at that location that will make life unbearable for several years if not condemn my property at that point.

If that property is in the school triangle you want, Lee Chapel (literally 1/4 mile to the northwest) will also be in that school zone unless this is on some sort of boundary. For 488k, you can certainly find better options still in that school zone.

For example

6628 Bestwicke Road, Burke VA - Trulia

Less than 1 mi away and in a neighborhood instead, and its a house instead ofa townhouse.

Or this townhouse for almost half the price in Burke
9174 Broken Oak Place #67-A, Burke VA - Trulia
Elementary school and HS are very good to me. Again, I also think it is not a good idea to buy a house next to pkwy ... It is 448k, not 488k ...

Serves Home School Name & GreatSchools Rating Type Grades Parent Rating Distance Homes
Sangster Elementary School Public Preschool to 6 0.26 mi
Irving Middle School Public 7 to 8 3.23 mi
West Springfield High School Public 9 to 12 2.82 mi

Old 05-11-2014, 05:06 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,967 times
Quote:

I believe that area is specifically targeted for widening and also possibly an overpass of some sort to get rid of the traffic light at Huntsman Blvd, as that traffic light has some pretty long backups during rush hour. The parkway goes from 3 lanes to 2 not too far east of Huntsman - combined with the traffic light and sun glare that happens during some parts of the year, it is not unusual for traffic to back up a pretty good distance. Who knows when the widening and overpass will be completed, but I certainly think it will eventually happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: