Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,925 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am new here.
I can read and understand, but not good in speaking, writing and understanding jokes.
If you know any good place or good way to learn English, please advise me.
I work full time and I cannot go to ESL class for daily basis.
Thank you in advance.
Have a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 02:53 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,695,557 times
I can't speak for Fairfax but I now that in Prince William County, the libraries generally offer English conversation times put on by volunteers. You may want to do a search for this with your county library. Check out this link:

https://va.evanced.info/fairfaxcount...ivate=0&ln=ALL

Old 05-13-2014, 02:59 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,365,295 times
Depending on where you are originally from, you could get in touch with a church, volunteer or cultural organization from your country of origin/ethnic group and they should definitely be able to help you out.

There are several organizations around NoVa that work in this area for Korean, Vietnamese and Latino folks.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:20 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,441,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwm576 View Post
Hello, I am new here.
I can read and understand, but not good in speaking, writing and understanding jokes.
If you know any good place or good way to learn English, please advise me.
I work full time and I cannot go to ESL class for daily basis.
Thank you in advance.
Have a good day.
Here are two sources. Maybe one of them can help out.

Fairfax County Public Schools Adult Ed has courses, Adult ESOL

Found this online, check under Centreville and Chantilly as it lists churches and groups, even at the Centreville Library that do this, List of ESL classes in Northern Virginia

Good luck!

Old 05-13-2014, 03:31 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,744,666 times
One easy thing you can do is to watch TV with the subtitles turned on. That way, you can read what the people on TV are saying while you listen. Sometimes the subtitles are wrong, but for popular shows they are more accurate.

Thank you for your eagerness to learn English! And welcome to America.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:49 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,275,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
One easy thing you can do is to watch TV with the subtitles turned on. That way, you can read what the people on TV are saying while you listen. Sometimes the subtitles are wrong, but for popular shows they are more accurate.

Thank you for your eagerness to learn English! And welcome to America.
Because of my hearing I always have closed caption on and it is so often wrong that I'm not sure how well this will work as a teaching method. Some of the words that show up on screen can be pretty funny when compared to what was actually said.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:50 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,275,580 times
What about hiring someone to come to your home for private lessons?

Old 05-14-2014, 04:22 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,744,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Because of my hearing I always have closed caption on and it is so often wrong that I'm not sure how well this will work as a teaching method. Some of the words that show up on screen can be pretty funny when compared to what was actually said.
I've noticed that too, on some shows. For other shows--the popular prime-time network ones, if I recall--they seem to be fairly accurate.

Another thing he could do is to go online and get the transcript for a movie and then watch the movie while reading along. I know some transcripts are free.

Or he could rent a movie that has subtitles available in his language. Then watch while reading the translation.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 05-14-2014 at 04:33 AM..

Old 05-14-2014, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,925 times
Thank you very much for all your replies.

I decided to resister one-and-one English class and English conversation group from Fairfax Public Library.

And I will watch the movies with the subtitle on.

Thank you and have a good day.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:55 AM

140 posts, read 233,297 times
Truro Anglican Church in Fairfax City has a program called TIPS - Truro International Programs and Services. They have low-cost English classes, American culture classes, and a volunteer ministry where they will assign you a conversation partner to meet and talk with once a week so you can practice your English. You don't need to be a Christian to participate. Childcare is available for the daytime English classes. Here is the website for more information:

Truro International Programs & Services (TIPS) - Truro Anglican Church
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia