Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 02:00 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,671,036 times

Advertisements

Most of my neighbors drink endlessly. It doesn't matter if it is a workday or a weekend. My neighbors are in their 30's and 40's.

For them, drinking is the coolest thing on earth. It is almost as if they had never had a drink before.

My wife and I are becoming outcasts because while we are not opposed to drinking when we feel like it, we don't feel the need to drink to be complete nor do we feel like we have to socialize with everyone that we just met to get drunk with them.

My neighbors are friendly with us and decent people when sober. They are far enough away where the drinking and all of the other neighbors that they draw to their house for drinks doesn't bother us because we generally can't hear them.

However, with all of the drinking there is always an incident. Someone gets injured on a 4 wheeler, someone catches themselves on fire, etc.

The drunk driving around here is rampant. Everyone brags about how they do it like little kids and as if it were the best thing since sliced bread.

The other thing that makes us feel akward is watching all of the neighbors bypass our house and go to their house to get drunk every day of the week.

We don't fit in, and have stopped going to their house because we don't want to deal with drunks who say stupid things or get us involved with their drama.

Is this some regional thing? What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 03:24 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,259,018 times
Seriously? You can't really believe this is a wide spread issue? I've been in my current neighborhood since 86 and have never seen one of my neighbors drunk or even drinking outside and especially no drunk driving. Sounds like you might need to consider moving or look for some adult activities away from your neighborhood.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Seriously? You can't really believe this is a wide spread issue? I've been in my current neighborhood since 86 and have never seen one of my neighbors drunk or even drinking outside and especially no drunk driving. Sounds like you might need to consider moving or look for some adult activities away from your neighborhood.
I have no idea. I like you am from Florida so I really don't know. Sounds like I should have never left PWC. The only thing is that I am underwater. I need to get my house rented to someone who likes all that stuff.

Wow.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:20 PM

6,568 posts, read 8,415,072 times
Fron what I understand, some parts of Spotsylvania can be termed as "rednecky" but I wouldn't paint the whole county with a wide brush of generalization. Perhaps it just your neck of the woods?

Old 05-18-2014, 05:27 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,734,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
However, with all of the drinking there is always an incident. Someone gets injured on a 4 wheeler, someone catches themselves on fire, etc.
These things happen. Don't be so judgmental.

OK, but seriously--what does "etc." above represent? Cars in living rooms? Defenestrations?

Old 05-18-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Fron what I understand, some parts of Spotsylvania can be termed as "rednecky" but I wouldn't paint the whole county with a wide brush of generalization. Perhaps it just your neck of the woods?
It's possible. Who knows? I don't see many coming out to say otherwise. Perhaps everyone is wasted?

Old 05-18-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
These things happen. Don't be so judgmental.

OK, but seriously--what does "etc." above represent? Cars in living rooms? Defenestrations?
Judgmental? Clearly, it does suck to live around people like this with no real escape besides foreclosing on an underwater house.

Etc., represents the abundance of rediculousness that we are abounded with. Shooting bottle rockets drunk on 4th of July and hitting my vehicle with them "on accident". Not the sort of item that I want in my hood scoop. Leaving guns laying around on cars when kids are at play just because it is cool. Knowing that there is a sex offender across the street and inviting him to your house on day one with your little kids around just because "the police are never right about that sort of stuff". Firing guns when drunk. They are never sober, so every gunshot heard is going to be under the influence.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:43 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,259,018 times
I guess we'll have to take your word but I seem to believe there may be some exaggeration going on here.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:50 AM

160 posts, read 241,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Most of my neighbors drink endlessly. It doesn't matter if it is a workday or a weekend. My neighbors are in their 30's and 40's.

For them, drinking is the coolest thing on earth.

Is this some regional thing? What gives?
This IS a pretty depressing region.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I guess we'll have to take your word but I seem to believe there may be some exaggeration going on here.
Man, you can't always have it both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia