Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 06:43 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times

Advertisements

Data: Regional unemployment rate lower among non-native-born - INSIDENOVA.COM: Arlington

Quote:
The unemployment rate among foreign-born workers in the South Atlantic region of the U.S. – including Virginia – remained below that of native-born workers in 2013, according to new figures from the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The regional unemployment rate for the year was 6.5 percent for those not born in the U.S. and 7.3 percent for those who were, down from 7.5 percent and 8.3 percent, respectively, in 2012.

Figures represent employment conditions in Virginia, Maryland, the District of Columbia, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and West Virginia.
That sounds horrible. I understand we have a lot of people who move from other countries but I wonder if this is an indictment on this country's ability to properly prepare our workforce or is this a matter of catering to immigrants or maybe it's both. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 07:46 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Data: Regional unemployment rate lower among non-native-born - INSIDENOVA.COM: Arlington

That sounds horrible. I understand we have a lot of people who move from other countries but I wonder if this is an indictment on this country's ability to properly prepare our workforce or is this a matter of catering to immigrants or maybe it's both. Thoughts?
Or perhaps less complacency among those who immigrate here and have firsthand experience with actual poverty. I also suspect that there are more native-born people who can afford to stay unemployed longer (via loans from family, savings, etc.) than immigrants who can do so.

I do believe the US educational system is overall not preparing students well; the skilled trades (which pay quite well) are in dire need of new blood, and a large chunk of recent college grads can barely write. But I don't think that's a factor in this study, because the reported wages for the native-born Americans were higher. (The same study in Silicon Valley might show the reverse, due to the foreign-born engineers and computer people.)

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 06-04-2014 at 08:04 AM..

Old 06-04-2014, 08:11 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
OP, When I first read your post I immediately thought of three general fields which have managed to stay "buoyant" during these tough economic times which high a high % of foreign-born:

(1) IT/computer tech;
(2) medical; and
(3) science

I also think Carlingtonian has a point with foreign-born individuals who may have experienced poverty in their home countries and have not had things in a system to fall back on, like unemployment compensation, social services, etc.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:00 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
OP, When I first read your post I immediately thought of three general fields which have managed to stay "buoyant" during these tough economic times which high a high % of foreign-born:

(1) IT/computer tech;
(2) medical; and
(3) science

I also think Carlingtonian has a point with foreign-born individuals who may have experienced poverty in their home countries and have not had things in a system to fall back on, like unemployment compensation, social services, etc.
This and the fact that the services sector of the economy has probably done the best through the slump along with Medical/Science/IT, which tend to be lower paying jobs employing immigrants.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:04 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post

I was born outside of this country. I've also lived in this country since I was 1. I am an american, yet by this study I'm not. Too often the idea of immigrants in this country is discussed on the basis of ILLEGAL immigration. News flash, some of us came here legally and are citizens of this country and by every measure of the word Americans. If anything, it might be the fact that immigrants come from terrible situations in many cases and when they get here they study their butts off (many indian, persian, and asian immigrants I know fit this pattern) so that they can have good jobs.

Perhaps it is a failure of initiative on some who aren't immigrants to realize that the world is a tough place, and you have to make your own way.

But regardless, understand that many of the immigrants of the 80s/90s era came as children during different times in immigration policies from south asian and middle eastern countries (not from central america) and those 1st gener's brought young children with them. Those young children like myself and many of my friends from school way back when, considered ourselves americans despite being born elsewhere. We didn't get brought up in a different educational system from your children, we just did better at it than they did 1) because of tiger mom syndrome 2) because in asia/middle east/many other areas of the world being an engineer, lawyer, dentist/doctor is a minimum requirement for any respect in a family. Its a matter of culture, society, and family.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:02 AM

76 posts, read 177,056 times
I think its basicly all numbers. I worked in the construction business for over 30 years in the metro DC area. About 20 or so years ago I was talking to one of my Latino co-workers and he said "wait and see, we will eventually take over". Meaning the construction business field labor force. I thought he was crazy. Well, seeing is believing. Just one small example. Its really very simple. Numbers.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:53 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
I was born outside of this country. I've also lived in this country since I was 1. I am an american, yet by this study I'm not. Too often the idea of immigrants in this country is discussed on the basis of ILLEGAL immigration. News flash, some of us came here legally and are citizens of this country and by every measure of the word Americans. If anything, it might be the fact that immigrants come from terrible situations in many cases and when they get here they study their butts off (many indian, persian, and asian immigrants I know fit this pattern) so that they can have good jobs.

Perhaps it is a failure of initiative on some who aren't immigrants to realize that the world is a tough place, and you have to make your own way.

But regardless, understand that many of the immigrants of the 80s/90s era came as children during different times in immigration policies from south asian and middle eastern countries (not from central america) and those 1st gener's brought young children with them. Those young children like myself and many of my friends from school way back when, considered ourselves americans despite being born elsewhere. We didn't get brought up in a different educational system from your children, we just did better at it than they did 1) because of tiger mom syndrome 2) because in asia/middle east/many other areas of the world being an engineer, lawyer, dentist/doctor is a minimum requirement for any respect in a family. Its a matter of culture, society, and family.
+1 Nailed it

Old 06-05-2014, 02:05 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,330,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
+1 Nailed it
In China, it's about how much money, houses and cars you have, irregardless of what's your title.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:08 AM

510 posts, read 430,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post

(1) IT/computer tech;
(2) medical; and
(3) science

Medical/Tech Schools are also ridiculously cheap to attend in India/China/etc and you don't have to pay Indians/Chinese as much as American grads who are trying to pay their gigantic loans off.

It's all an enormous clusterf*ck that won't change until we hit the immigration pause button and force domestic schools to rework their system to better serve Americans and American businesses.

But that will never happen because that would be "racist".

Old 06-07-2014, 03:13 AM

510 posts, read 430,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post

This is all very true. With all the single mothers and high divorce rates these days American children barely have families at all let alone "respect" in said family to worry about.

But family values are sexist/homophobic, so at least we're cooler than you guys I guess...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: