Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 07:02 AM

190 posts, read 842,777 times

Advertisements

I previously posted on this thread about my California dream- either the Bay Area or SoCal. For me it has all been about the weather. I sold my dental practice over 2 years ago and “retired”, And that would have been a good time to finally live my California dream, but I’m still here.

We had been doing a lot of travelling and had mostly avoided the oppressive summer heat and humidity and the worst parts of the winter, but this year is a different story with COVID. It is making me yearn for California a lot lately.

But we won’t be going anywhere anytime soon. 2 of my 3 children are here, My 2 grandkids live here, my aging parents are here, and so this is where I am supposed to be right now.

We downsized to a nice townhome a block off the Reston Town Center and love the lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 01:33 AM

55 posts, read 143,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
I previously posted on this thread about my California dream- either the Bay Area or SoCal. For me it has all been about the weather. I sold my dental practice over 2 years ago and “retired”, And that would have been a good time to finally live my California dream, but I’m still here.

We had been doing a lot of travelling and had mostly avoided the oppressive summer heat and humidity and the worst parts of the winter, but this year is a different story with COVID. It is making me yearn for California a lot lately.

But we won’t be going anywhere anytime soon. 2 of my 3 children are here, My 2 grandkids live here, my aging parents are here, and so this is where I am supposed to be right now.

We downsized to a nice townhome a block off the Reston Town Center and love the lifestyle.
Well as they are want to say down under.... "Good on Ya "

Old 07-20-2020, 03:15 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,175,826 times
My goal some years back was to retire from my LE job after the 30 year mark then my wife and I would move to New Hampshire. A place I've grown to love. But the lack of jobs in my field (K9) were lacking and as I am not a military vet I had zero chances of a federal position I wanted overseeing canine ops in the area airports even though the chief of the unit wanted me hired. Then a grandson came along in NC and the wife decided she no longer wanted to move further away. Sigh..... So I finally landed the federal job here and we stayed. Sort of. We moved to the beautiful Shenandoah Valley and we bought what we hope is our final home overlooking the mountains to the east and west sitting on 5 acres surrounded by farms. I've been in VA since 73 when my parents moved us here (I was a teen) and I love the valley but the changing politics of this state has me wondering if we chose wisely in staying.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:18 AM

235 posts, read 113,909 times
I plan on retiring in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Just closed on a beach house in Plymouth that is on the water. Till the youngest goes to college me and my wife will be renting it out. The place I work at since corona has said that I can permanently telecommute I’m gonna do that and once the youngest leaves we will sell our house here in Northern Virginia and I’ll telecommute from there for two years and the best thing is my division has an office in Boston. Sadly nothing is permanent but the plan is pretty solid and my boss knows as well. But our finances can support the second house it’s a good investment it provides a lot of income maybe 58K with a property management company that charges 10% of the monthly rental value between late May through Early September if we charge 4K a week which is kind of the average based on the house and other vacation rentals. And the view is just gorgeous.

Old 08-05-2020, 12:00 PM

1,386 posts, read 989,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
retiring to Maine...in a cottage, high up on a cliff, overlooking the ocean.
Doesn't it get really, really, REALLY cold and icy and snowy in Maine in the Winter? Not knocking Maine--absolutely beautiful state--in the summer. Just strikes me as a tough place in which to grow old....

--

Old 08-05-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzolafacce View Post
Well as they are want to say down under.... "Good on Ya "
So, are you still in Thailand? Did you sell your business? (I get the feeling you posted about retirement in the NOVA thread to try and find somebody to buy you out. Are you still looking?)

--

Old 08-06-2020, 03:48 PM

7 posts, read 4,088 times
All those that want to move to less urban areas, i.e. country living, do you plan on needed advanced medical care? Of course not. You don't plan on those things, they bite you in the @ss unexpectedly. Good luck with critical care or top medical advice from the PA at a the community health center. Maybe it will work out for you.

Old 08-07-2020, 02:48 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,175,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsaway View Post
All those that want to move to less urban areas, i.e. country living, do you plan on needed advanced medical care? Of course not. You don't plan on those things, they bite you in the @ss unexpectedly. Good luck with critical care or top medical advice from the PA at a the community health center. Maybe it will work out for you.
That's all you've got? Do you really think people are dumb enough to move to the country and NOT think about medical care?

Old 08-12-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsaway View Post
That's the first thing I think of when I hear somebody is going to retire in Thailand or Mexico. What are they doing for medical care? A friend's father retired to the Philippines but had to fly back to the US to get advanced prostate cancer care. That's nuts.

But I will NOT be retiring in the NOVA region. Yep I'm here now--that's where the job is. But I'm tired of the traffic, the hoards of people, the high cost of living, etc. The place I retire to will be much quieter, will have lower taxes AND will have excellent medical care.

--

Old 08-13-2020, 06:46 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,280,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
That's all you've got? Do you really think people are dumb enough to move to the country and NOT think about medical care?
I feel like the answer to “are people really dumb enough...?” is always “yes.”
I know plenty of people who think they will “retire to a farm” but have no real idea of what farm work is like (really hard) or that “the country” means way fewer healthcare options. My friend moved down to Louisa County for a job and was shocked that she couldn’t find a primary care doctor. She called the UVA system and was told that she was too healthy.

My extended family lives in a very rural area of Florida. More of them have died from medical mistakes from bad doctors than from their own medical conditions. Plus, if the one area hospital shuts down, you’re screwed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia