Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,165 times

Advertisements

My neighbor is very noisy and I stop by there place one time and found out there is at least 3 generation living there. The house is 3-4 bedroom and the grandmother along get her kids and grand grand kids live together. Total of about 20 people.

They always argue at middle of night. Can I report this saying too many people are living in one house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 09:08 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeismoneyDDS View Post
My neighbor is very noisy and I stop by there place one time and found out there is at least 3 generation living there. The house is 3-4 bedroom and the grandmother along get her kids and grand grand kids live together. Total of about 20 people.

They always argue at middle of night. Can I report this saying too many people are living in one house?
might not be enough to warrant a reaction from the authorities, take them over a batch of cookies and get more intel on 'em and report back

Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 PM

469 posts, read 1,037,714 times
usually the restrictions are on unrelated groups; not square footage. Otherwise families of five or six sharing a hotel room for the night would be in violation.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:01 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Actually, a lot of counties do have ordinances based on size. Here are the laws for Loudoun.

http://www.loudoun.gov/documents/14/...20Brochure.PDF

Old 01-30-2014, 05:11 AM

659 posts, read 1,173,464 times
So if I understand the brochure correctly the OP's neighbors can have 16 peeps living in @1200 sqft so long as there are actually four of the right size bedrooms with dual egress for bedrooms plus entire house. Additionally there is nothing to preventing them from converting a den/bonus/ family room into a bedroom to accommodate another 4 so long as the other conditions are met and so long as there is a a separate kitchen, dining and living room of the appropriate square footage.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:15 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,176,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityJAX View Post
So if I understand the brochure correctly the OP's neighbors can have 16 peeps living in @1200 sqft so long as there are actually four of the right size bedrooms with dual egress for bedrooms plus entire house. Additionally there is nothing to preventing them from converting a den/bonus/ family room into a bedroom to accommodate another 4 so long as the other conditions are met and so long as there is a a separate kitchen, dining and living room of the appropriate square footage.

To qualify as a bedroom the room must have a window.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:33 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityJAX View Post
In theory, yes, but you have not accounted for SF for a bathroom or hallways, so the minimum would be more than 1200 SF.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:51 AM

142 posts, read 273,154 times
At least one house in a neighborhood in Gainesville/Bristow area has 25 people living in it. This is how wage-grade earners can live in $500K+ houses.

Living in California and conducting a house search, our realtor told us sometimes you'll have a home with 6 to 7 different individuals with mortgages against the property. No one individually can finance the full amount, so several people each get $100K mortgages to purchase the house. She said each bedroom will have a family living out of it, one family usually gets the living room, and the alpha-family gets the whole basement.

My son's best friend in Santa Maria lived in a 3 bedroom apartment with 18 people calling it home.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:11 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,675 times
If you suspect the house of having more occupants than is legal, I would just report it to the appropriate municipality and let them investigate. It's really up to them to enforce these rules. Now, whether they will or not is another question, but I don't really see the harm in reporting a suspected violation of zoning ordinances.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:15 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeyer2013 View Post
usually the restrictions are on unrelated groups; not square footage. Otherwise families of five or six sharing a hotel room for the night would be in violation.
No, not quite. A hotel is not a residential dwelling - it would be governed by commercial zoning rules. And, even there, hotel rooms are going to have rules regarding maximum occupancy, some of which are legal limits and some of which are self-imposed by the particular hotel. It doesn't mean people don't lie and stuff a bunch of people into one room illegally, but there are still laws that govern occupancy - just different from residential rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia