Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 08:38 AM

8,985 posts, read 21,202,563 times

Advertisements

Notwithstanding some familiar talking points, I did find it informative to learn about the Villages of Leesburg community as I don't frequent Loudoun County.

Can anyone else verify or counter SCR's experience for 20somethings in Reston Town Center?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 08:48 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,322,658 times
You're in a tough spot with your work location. I wouldn't have wanted to live in Reston at 22 if I was from elsewhere and wanted to meet people. It tends to be an older crowd. But you may have to compromise with that because of where you work. It's definitely better than living in Leesburg which will be practically all families w kids.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:46 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,255,710 times

I have noticed that the crowd at Reston Town Center has been getting younger and younger in the last few years.

Last edited by FindingZen; 07-08-2014 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: Let's get back to the OP.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:58 AM

32,623 posts, read 77,734,230 times
... I happen to think neither Leesburg nor Reston are ideal places for people in their early-20s. Apparently Leesburg and Reston are both now teeming with 20-somethings that didn't exist when I moved away a few years ago, so I'll defer to you if that's now the case, and Reston and Leesburg are now the "hip" places to be for young people.

Last edited by FindingZen; 07-08-2014 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: Let's get back to the OP.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:09 PM

9,891 posts, read 14,176,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
... I happen to think neither Leesburg nor Reston are ideal places for people in their early-20s. Apparently Leesburg and Reston are both now teeming with 20-somethings that didn't exist when I moved away a few years ago, so I'll defer to you if that's now the case, and Reston and Leesburg are now the "hip" places to be for young people.
You can move to the NoVA area in your early 20s and meet many friends, have lots of fun, date, get married, etc - all without ever living near the "hip" places to be for young people. I know this, because I did it. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you that way, but that doesn't mean these places don't provide opportunity for fun and excitement.

Last edited by FindingZen; 07-08-2014 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: edited out orphaned comments

Old 07-08-2014, 01:22 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,242,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
How many times are you going to keep coming back here to slam NOVA? You hated it, we get it.
I think he had some excellent points especially for a young adult, and he was complimentary in some aspects.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:53 PM

15,445 posts, read 25,878,448 times
I thought he made a good post, though I do understand the feelings others have.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:47 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,742,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
...I'm much happier up here, but you may find that Northern Virginia is worth the added expense. Good luck!
Doesn't sound like bashing to me. I thought his post was very detailed and useful to someone of a similar age with similar lifestyle wants.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:36 PM

8,985 posts, read 21,202,563 times
Let's not get bogged down in circular arguments. Returning to the Original Topic will maximize thread life and minimize infractions.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:44 PM

313 posts, read 552,648 times
OP, I can tell you that you that while it may take a bit, you will have a good time in Reston. Five years ago I was in your exact spot...never had been to the area, same age, with a new job opportunity. I chose Reston partly because I was scared of the commute if I chose Arlington and had heard it was new and upcoming.

SteelCityRising is right in the fact that you had to hang around an older crowd in order to fit in five years ago. I definitely agree that the dynamic has changed as I see a lot more 20-somethings out, but I didn't really mind it, as age is just a number. It's fun interacting with all kinds of people, whether they're family oriented, young professional, old professional, or just a big kid (like me). Be nice and just listen and for the most part you'll have a good time. While you'll encounter unfriendly people from time to time (admittedly more than you might elsewhere on the East Coast), the positive experiences here should more than counter that.

The Town Center just got World of Beer not to mention other numerous bars that are available for you to peruse downtown. Best part is that there are cabs ready and willing to take you back to your apt if you had too much or if you're willing to pay a bit more you can stumble home to the numerous apartment buildings around. Reston seems to be trying to recreate Arlington Lite...I don't know if they're succeeding or not, but as a young 20 something, with a job in Leesburg, I'd have a hard time recommending another place. You should find your commute tolerable, and with the Silver Line here, be able to commute relatively easily into Arlington and DC on the weekends when you want something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia