Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 05:54 PM

3 posts, read 35,242 times

Advertisements

Ive read alot of the threads on here about reckless tickets...but I still seem unsure of what I should do...

I am an out of state student going to MD and I got caught driving 86 in a 55 on I-66 late saturday night. I could go on and tell you my story but it seems all the same as the rest of the ones ive read (but really ive dont think ive ever seen the speed limit on an interstate at 55mph?). But as you know i got a reckless ticket. I was just wondering what i should do, and if i should get a lawyer does anyone know one that is reasonable for a college student?

I would be most appreciative

Last edited by ALdriver; 03-23-2008 at 06:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 05:57 PM

15,438 posts, read 25,852,608 times
I've been a wreck-less driver for 25 years now. If you meant reckless, then, yes, get a lawyer.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:54 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,335,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALdriver View Post
Ive read alot of the threads on here about reckless tickets...but I still seem unsure of what I should do...

I am an out of state student going to MD and I got caught driving 86 in a 55 on I-66 late saturday night. I could go on and tell you my story but it seems all the same as the rest of the ones ive read (but really ive dont think ive ever seen the speed limit on an interstate at 55mph?). But as you know i got a reckless ticket. I was just wondering what i should do, and if i should get a lawyer does anyone know one that is reasonable for a college student?

I would be most appreciative

hey you MD drivers! SLOW DOWN ! What if you killed someone? what if you killed a family? Now you going to learn the hard way. You will pay, thanks for the $. Helps keep my property taxes lower by you being STUPID.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:58 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,345,126 times
So pay up & Slow down!!

Old 03-23-2008, 10:00 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,335,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
So pay up & Slow down!!
That's right. SLOW DOWN MARYLAND DRIVERS

Old 03-23-2008, 11:33 PM

3 posts, read 35,242 times
well its nice to get such positive and constructive comments on this thread... I feel like maybe i should futher explain and give background....
1. I am a very safe driver.. never been in a car accident and I have only received 1 traffic ticket in the past 8 years.
2. I was driving back from visiting my parents in birmingham, al. So i was on the last 1.5hrs of a 11hr road trip
3. I didnt realize the speed limit on I-66 dropped to 55mph and my foot just got a little heavy ( I guess this has never happened to a Virginian?) and I was driving late at night and the road was pretty empty
4. I am NOT from maryland.... born and raised in ALABAMA

Anyways I thought I might get some constructive advice about how to handle the situation

I guess the southern hospitality does not extend to people from other states if they make a mistake?

Old 03-23-2008, 11:48 PM

26 posts, read 142,006 times
Default A constructive answer for you ALdriver.

AL please ignore the other nasty replies from people who obviously didn't read your post. I hate to tell you, but this isn't the south anymore. This area is much like NYC nowadays.

Anyway, please get yourself a lawyer. I sincerely hope that you don't have any other points, and your record is totally spotless. Its gonna cost you some big bucks... I think once you go over 80, they throw the book at you. Plus all the cops here are out to get speeders anyway, doesn't matter where you're from. Not personal, trust me. You may have to go to driving school. Please get yourself a good defense lawyer from this area who specializes in these kinds of traffic violations. They know the judges and how to best approach the situation.

I have one thought: be grateful you weren't drinking.

Don't worry, you'll get through it. Again sorry my fellow Virginians can be such A--------.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:47 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,790,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALdriver View Post
well its nice to get such positive and constructive comments on this thread... I feel like maybe i should futher explain and give background....
1. I am a very safe driver.. never been in a car accident and I have only received 1 traffic ticket in the past 8 years.
2. I was driving back from visiting my parents in birmingham, al. So i was on the last 1.5hrs of a 11hr road trip
3. I didnt realize the speed limit on I-66 dropped to 55mph and my foot just got a little heavy ( I guess this has never happened to a Virginian?) and I was driving late at night and the road was pretty empty
4. I am NOT from maryland.... born and raised in ALABAMA

Anyways I thought I might get some constructive advice about how to handle the situation

I guess the southern hospitality does not extend to people from other states if they make a mistake?
Dont worry about the negative comments, Northern Virginians are usually cold even though half of them do 85 on I-66/495 everyday and they dont consider themselves southerners (i'm from Southern VA and SC btw.) Get a lawyer (google prepaid legal services.) You may have a good chance of making a possible deal/reduction as long as you are an otherwise decent driver.

Needless to say dont go crazy on our (or any) highways, VA is really heartless to 18-21 year old drivers and the state (and fairfax Co) police will go through any low to write a couple tickets.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:11 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,176,700 times
What do you want? Sympathy?
Even if the speed limit was 70 mph you were still 16 mph over.
In most states 15 mph over is double fine and double points at least and reckless operation in some others.
Pay the fine. Slow down. Learn a lesson.
You have no good reason to think you should be an exception and not be held responsible for your excessive speed. Excuses dont justify bad judgement or not observing signs.
No pity party here.
There are a lot of 55 mph speed limits on interstates in metropolitan areas all over the country.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:03 AM

1 posts, read 13,564 times
I feel your pain.. I just received a ticket myself tonight... I was travelling from Florida to Philadelphia... I was going 84 in a 65mph zone and I was not flying by a far stretch but rather keeping up with traffic. I am sure I was labeled as an out of state driver. If in Philadelphia I would have received a ticket with a price on it. I am a cop... How is that for respect. Virginia doesnt even care... not that i wasnt guilty, but instead they give me a summons, not a ticket but a court appearance 214 miles away from home. I read all these sites and they all seem like scare tactics, however I am at the point where I plan to plead guilty and take the penalty which can be up to 2500.00.... which is robbery ! I got the point, I was speeding,,, yes could have hurt someone, except explain to me why all the Virginians driving with me didnt get puller over. I was far from Reckless, I was in complete control and not weaving, phoning, or texting... just cruising along with the traffic. Cop seemed about 23 if that.... There was no turning back.. Guess we have to face the music !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia