Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 11:57 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,188,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Please define "standard of living".

If the people doing the middle class jobs you mentioned agreed with you, why have they not all flocked to Minneapolis?
To me "standard of living" is what the people in this area expect when it comes to housing and amenities. Around here, granite countertops and stainless steel appliances are expected in housing advertised as "luxury". In other areas of the country, having a garage is a luxury when it is considered standard here.

Having grocery stores and malls within 10 minutes is "standard" around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 01:17 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,803,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Lol is this a joke. It's a known fact that NoVA and the DC metro area is one of the most affluent areas in the country. That's just the way it is.

Do you ever get bored of making the same kind of threads. We get it, you hate Northern Virginia.
I admit there are some very wealthy families in NOVA and there is a good share of upper middle class people too. Lots of opportunity for professionals. But I still maintain the stats on the wealth here is misleading because of the 10% wealthy. The typical person in NOVA has no more buying power and no fancier lifestyle than people in Dallas, Houston, Atlanta or Kansas City.

Some people have fancy jobs but the pay really does not give them much of a lifestyle. Wages are higher for many jobs but not high enough to cover the additional expenses related to the cost of living.

Last edited by I'm Retired Now; 07-29-2014 at 01:28 PM..

Old 07-29-2014, 01:24 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,209,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I admit there are some very wealthy families in NOVA and there is a good share of upper middle class people too. Lots of opportunity for professionals. But I still maintain the stats on the wealth here is misleading because of the 10% wealthy. The typical person in NOVA has no more buying power and no fancier lifestyle than people in Dallas, Houston, Atlanta or Kansas City.
It's been explained before, but you don't seem to get it. Do you not understand the difference between average and median? The stats that have been cited (reminder, you have cited none for your assertations) discuss the MEDIAN salary for this area is above $100K. That means that HALF of the families in this area make more than $100K. If the incomes of the top 10% increased a hundred-fold, that would not alter that statistic at all. It would remain the same. HALF of all families here would still have an income over $100K.

Do you claim that statistics "lie" because you don't understand what they mean?

Old 07-29-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
It's been explained before, but you don't seem to get it. Do you not understand the difference between average and median? The stats that have been cited (reminder, you have cited none for your assertations) discuss the MEDIAN salary for this area is above $100K. That means that HALF of the families in this area make more than $100K. If the incomes of the top 10% increased a hundred-fold, that would not alter that statistic at all. It would remain the same. HALF of all families here would still have an income over $100K.

Do you claim that statistics "lie" because you don't understand what they mean?
Places like Arlington are full of singles living alone or with roommates so in many places in NOVA few people are in traditional families. I know the difference between mean and median. But I don't respect your statements. Show me the median income of a place like Scott County Minnesota (Suburban county right outside Mpls) and compare it to Fairfax County VA and yes, it is higher but adjust it to the cost of living and the typical person in Scott County has a better standard of living. (Fairfax County has more super rich which messes with the figures for median and mean.)

Old 07-29-2014, 01:45 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,209,364 times
Quote:
Places like Arlington are full of singles living alone or with roommates so in many places in NOVA few people are in traditional families. I know the difference between mean and median. But I don't respect your statements. Show me the median income of a place like Scott County Minnesota (Suburban county right outside Mpls) and compare it to Fairfax County VA and yes, it is higher but adjust it to the cost of living and the typical person in Scott County has a better standard of living. (Fairfax County has more super rich which messes with the figures for median and mean.)
I'm now slamming my head against the wall. I'm out.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:54 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,790,153 times
Quote:
I know the difference between mean and median. (Fairfax County has more super rich which messes with the figures for median and mean.)
Quote:
(Fairfax County has more super rich which messes with the figures for median and mean.)
Um, apparently, you don't know the difference between mean and median. If you did, you would not have made the latter statement.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:55 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,300,402 times
Quote:
(Fairfax County has more super rich which messes with the figures for median and mean.)
You need to quit while you're ahead. This statement is just freaking comical. You clearly do not understand median.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:15 PM

3,308 posts, read 9,403,710 times
I think "median" needs to be explained to the OP with an example:

Take 5 people.

Person 1 makes 10k.
Person 2 makes 10k.
Person 3 makes 30k.
Person 4 makes 40k.
Person 5 makes 60k.

Median income is 30k in this scenario.

Person 1 makes 10k.
Person 2 makes 10k.
Person 3 makes 30k.
Person 4 makes 900k.
Person 5 makes 900k.

Median income is still 30k in this scenario.

The top 10% can't skew a "median" income. The median is based on the "middle" value, not the average value.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:21 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,300,402 times
Deleted because someone beat me to it, and did it with a lot less snark.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:50 PM

So we have determined the difference between median and mean. Great find me the median family income for Fairfax County in a link and then adjust it for the incredibly high cost of living. I still maintain that the average person in Fairfax County is not doing all that great because the income is not as high as the difference in the cost of living.

7 out of 10 people living in Fairfax doing regular jobs would live much better in other areas and would be able to live in a nicer home, do more fun things and have more money saved at the end of the month. Only the elites do better here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia