Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 04:35 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,415,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I live off 95 south of Stafford...the traffic is absolutely insane....and will only get worse.
Dude, traffic going to Stafford/Fredericksburg is insane.

I used to live in Stafford and I moved a little further North and going to Stafford, which usually should be a 20 minute drive takes me over an hour. I don't know what it is but right after Woodbridge 95 instantly turns into a parking lot and traffic comes to a complete stop pretty much until you get past Garrisonville or Fredericksburg. Hopefully the HOT lanes will help people who have to go to Stafford because it's crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 05:10 PM

163 posts, read 315,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
smh, what an incredible waste of limited money that would be. 3 billion at a minimum, if not closer to 5.

You did see the word "jokingly" and the "lol" in the post, right?

Old 07-31-2014, 05:59 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,461,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Dude, traffic going to Stafford/Fredericksburg is insane.

I used to live in Stafford and I moved a little further North and going to Stafford, which usually should be a 20 minute drive takes me over an hour. I don't know what it is but right after Woodbridge 95 instantly turns into a parking lot and traffic comes to a complete stop pretty much until you get past Garrisonville or Fredericksburg. Hopefully the HOT lanes will help people who have to go to Stafford because it's crazy.

Yeah. the "Hot lanes" may help those who are willing to pay a HUGE toll. If I am understanding it correctly, in the future all "hot lanes" will be toll lanes vs what is there now....sometimes, off peak. we peons can use them for free for a few hours. I think that because of high tolls, once this is implemented, will make the regular lanes even worse.

I dont even want to think about it (once the "new and improved") roads open. I can't afford the estimated tolls of upwards of $8.00 every time I go to work...five days a week, each direction.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:32 PM

349 posts, read 1,433,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
Where would they start and end? I can even fathom how long this would take as both widenings of 66, both of which were about 2 miles took 3 years each
The 495 HOT lanes took about 3 or 4 years I think, so probably similar timeline for I-66 to be expanded. It's not really much difference how long the area (2 miles vs 25 miles) so much as the complexity of what they are doing that takes a certain amount of time.

It's actually a frustration of mine with VDOT is they do a lot of small projects that put a road under construction for a couple years and then go back some time later to add more. E.g. on I-95 they expanded it to four lanes in Fairfax county and now they are expanding the express lanes. If they had done it all at once it would have been less combined construction time and probably less cost since a significant part of the cost is having to do most the work at night and keep lanes open during the day. I prefer what they did with the new Wilson bridge where they overbuilt it to allow for future expansion via simpler re-striping or adding a barrier.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:15 PM

3,308 posts, read 9,402,232 times
Quote:
Yeah. the "Hot lanes" may help those who are willing to pay a HUGE toll.
Or the people who can find 2 other people to carpool with. Everyone concentrates on the toll but any car with 3+ doesn't have to pay.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:26 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,360,623 times
Quote:
I think that because of high tolls, once this is implemented, will make the regular lanes even worse.

I think so too, not only during rush hour but during non-rush as well.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:31 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,360,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Or the people who can find 2 other people to carpool with. Everyone concentrates on the toll but any car with 3+ doesn't have to pay.
What about the travelers (non-commuters) who are traveling through from other areas? I am thinking a lot of them won't use the HOT lanes. They either won't have the 3 people or the transponder.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:24 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,543,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
What about the travelers (non-commuters) who are traveling through from other areas? I am thinking a lot of them won't use the HOT lanes. They either won't have the 3 people or the transponder.
Actually, I regularly see a lot of people from up north like Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania on the 495 HOT lanes. IDK if they are just confused about what HOT lanes are, but they all have transponders because toll roads are pretty common up north....then I see people from South Carolina and Georgia who have no idea where they are.

Quote:
Where would they start and end? I can even fathom how long this would take as both widenings of 66, both of which were about 2 miles took 3 years each
Gainesville to 495. 495 HOT lanes took 4 years. Construction is going to be a daily nightmare on 66.

Quote:
I think this corridor is very ripe for slugging and buses that could zoom along the HOT lanes like on 95. There is absolutely no incentive to get in the HOV lane right now.

Between HOT lanes and a new proposed HOV ramp to the Vienna Metro, you could go from Manassas to the Vienna Metro in 15 minutes flat during the height of rush hour (or 25 mins to Tysons).

Old 08-01-2014, 07:44 AM

1,533 posts, read 2,274,505 times
I would love to know where the majority commutes to from Gainesville/Bristow/Haymarket area. Most people I talk to commutes to the Dulles corridor if they don't work in the area. I've been disappointed to see the new bus commuter lot looking pretty empty. I assumed when they started the service to Tyson's that the parking lot would be packed.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:21 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,328,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
I would love to know where the majority commutes to from Gainesville/Bristow/Haymarket area. Most people I talk to commutes to the Dulles corridor if they don't work in the area. I've been disappointed to see the new bus commuter lot looking pretty empty. I assumed when they started the service to Tyson's that the parking lot would be packed.
It takes months for people to learn about new commute patterns. It happens through word of mouth mostly "I get here in X minutes based on ..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia