Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 08:47 AM

251 posts, read 935,942 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a reputable dry cleaner in the area to have my wedding dress cleaned, which has some older set-in stains. I live near Old Town. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 08:51 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,274,481 times
Find a ZIPS and check with them. I typically prefer Mom and Pop places but ZIPS has a good reputation and does good work. I use the one in Manassas.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:09 AM

9,894 posts, read 14,181,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Find a ZIPS and check with them. I typically prefer Mom and Pop places but ZIPS has a good reputation and does good work. I use the one in Manassas.
Look, I use Zips all of the time because I dryclean a LOT and they are very cheap. That being said, I expect (because it happens) broken buttons, lost items, and destroyed blouses. I'm still ahead financially, but wouldn't trust my wedding dress.

That being said, my wedding dress is still in the garment bag it went into the night of the wedding. I haven't opened the bag in 8 years. If I were to get it cleaned, I'd go to a mom/pop.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:49 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,694,394 times
Let me start by saying, I used to work at a drycleaner for 2 years. It was my part time job while I was in high school! I know that was a LONG time ago, but not much has changed.

I use the $1.99 cleaner all the time (not ZIPS) for my work clothes and I have no issues. A wedding dress; however, needs special care and most of the "volume" cleaners do not handle that because it cuts into their speed.

Find any local, non-chain cleaner in your area. Make sure that they have the cleaning equipment on site. That way you will get to talk with the person who is actually cleaning your garment.

A wedding dress should be dry cleaned on it's own in the equipment and not bunched in with the regular clothes. It should then be "finished" and put in a special box with acidic paper if your intention is to hang on to it for 50 years. If not, a bag for a few years might be fine.

This will cost you extra--for the individualized cleaning as well as the finishing and boxing but it's important if you are keeping it long term. Any dry cleaner that has professional cleaners on site will be qualified to do this.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:42 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,274,481 times
I've had zero problem at the Manassas ZIPS.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:45 AM

104 posts, read 153,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elacklen View Post
I'm looking for a reputable dry cleaner in the area to have my wedding dress cleaned, which has some older set-in stains. I live near Old Town. Thanks!
The cleaner at Slaters Lane and GW Parkway is reputable but pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia