Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 11:03 AM

269 posts, read 1,002,431 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I took a day off work to travel to Alexandria to get my hair done, as Burke where I live does not service the haircare needs of African-Americans (thankfully my bi-racial son got my husband's hair texture, as their are no black Barbershops in Burke either). Anyway, I went to the Fox Chase Harris Teeters since my salon was in that area, and I was totally WOWED and IMPRESSED! I *love* that store, had never been before as we didn't have fancy grocery stores in Prince George's County MD where I use to live.

Please pipe up and tell me if Harris Teeter have in the works a plan for more stores in Fairfax County? I see there's one in McLean, and several in Arlington, but I wish we had one in Burke/West Springfield/Fairfax City. Burke has such older grocery stores, like that rundown Giant in Kings Park that is nearest my house but I won't touch that! Also, don't like the rundown Safeway for when you're about to hit the highway, and the Whole Foods on Olde Keene Mill Rd is kinda oldish and doesn't strike my fancy as well. Maryland had "Lifestyle Safeways" where the floors in the deli area are hardwood and everything has an upscale shiny look. Also, Burke doesn't have a Wegmans or a Blooms it appears.

What's going on here? Do folks try to keep Burke plain & rundown on purpose, to disway an influx of newcomers? I'm disappointed with the Grocery Store options, and so now I might have to drive 10 miles to go to Alexandria's Harris Teeters. Are there any new Grocery Stores planned for Burke? Thx~~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 11:15 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Skapov,

Harris Teeter used to be in Fairfax City. I don't know what happened--if they weren't doing enough business or what, but they pulled out of there and moved out to Prince William County and other outlying counties. I'm not sure if they didn't do well in Fairfax but they left.

As for Burke--Burke as lovely as it is has always been an odd place. One of the reason (beside price) that I didn't move there 15 years ago is that it seemed like it was situated in a place where there was no quick access to 95/395/Rt.50 whatever, and there wasn't much commerical development close by (such as grocery stores). Over the years, of course, it has gotten much better with the parkway going full steam but, I think that there's just not enough retail within Burke itself to attract any of the big/fancy grocery stores. Certainly the money is there, but maybe there are zoning issues. I don't know.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:26 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,690 times
Wegmans is much less expensive than Harris Teeter and has a much better selection. We're in Annandale (near the Burke "line") and we go to Wegmans weekly.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:39 AM

280 posts, read 1,042,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
Wegmans is much less expensive than Harris Teeter and has a much better selection. We're in Annandale (near the Burke "line") and we go to Wegmans weekly.
There's a really nice Wegmans (I agree, nicer than H-T as chains go) at Ffx Gov't Center, but still kind of a haul from Burke, I guess.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:44 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
I know what you mean - the Giant by Kings Park is a dump - and most of the supermarkets around here are old and cruddy.
If you head down Rolling Rd. there is a bigger and better Giant but it is still not "upscale"
Where I used to live there were tons of fancy Shop Rites and A&Ps all brand new and large.

I never liked Harris Teeter - nothing special in my opinion - there used to be one in Fairfax City.
Wegmans Fairfax (near Lee Highway) is a hike but you should like it.
In the Fairlakes area of Fairfax there is a very large, almost brand new Whole Foods and a Bloom near the Walmart, and in the Town of Vienna there is Macgrueders (not sure of spelling) and Fairfax also has a Trader Joes

Old 04-16-2009, 11:50 AM

241 posts, read 987,604 times
I really like Harris Teeter too, even though its expensive.... its near my work and if nothing else, I pick up lunch from there now and then or go sample their free sample breads and fruits .
Their customer service is also awesome, they're all trained to be ever-so-polite and are always smiling as opposed to the Shoppers near my home. All the employees at Shoppers are rude and have permanent scowls on their faces, I hate going there .... but I'm resigned to, as its the nearest grocery store and I can just whip in an out of there within 10 mins.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:59 PM

269 posts, read 1,002,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Skapov,

Harris Teeter used to be in Fairfax City. I don't know what happened--if they weren't doing enough business or what, but they pulled out of there and moved out to Prince William County and other outlying counties. I'm not sure if they didn't do well in Fairfax but they left.

As for Burke--Burke as lovely as it is has always been an odd place. One of the reason (beside price) that I didn't move there 15 years ago is that it seemed like it was situated in a place where there was no quick access to 95/395/Rt.50 whatever, and there wasn't much commerical development close by (such as grocery stores). Over the years, of course, it has gotten much better with the parkway going full steam but, I think that there's just not enough retail within Burke itself to attract any of the big/fancy grocery stores. Certainly the money is there, but maybe there are zoning issues. I don't know.
Yes, it's odd that even PWC has a Harris Teeters whereas we don't, and what I'm finding after now having moved to Burke is that the retail options are pretty limited. Besides your basic Giants/CVS/7-11s there isn't much else, and there's not even a Movie Theater or any other forms of entertainment. We have to drive to Springfield to hit up Target or BedBathBeyond, or go to Kingstowne Alexandria for other favorite stores (World Market, Babies R Us, TJ Maxx etc.). Burke is purely residential, much to my frustration.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:21 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,728,289 times
There is a Target in Burke..I drive from Alexandria (Kingstowne) to go to that one. Anything to avoid the one in Springfield. You just have to know where it is...over by the VRE.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:32 PM

652 posts, read 1,304,875 times
Yes, the Target in Burke is much nicer than the Springfield one. I love, love, love Target but I find the one in Springfield very depressing.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:04 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,106,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novahousehunter View Post
There's a really nice Wegmans (I agree, nicer than H-T as chains go) at Ffx Gov't Center, but still kind of a haul from Burke, I guess.
Wegman's is definitely worth it: Great selection and most competitive prices (not to mention the excellent customer service). I drive there once a week from the Burke area and it only takes me 15 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia