Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:14 PM

58 posts, read 104,614 times

Advertisements

I live in Alexandria and we once had a car in front of our apartment with California plates for two years. No city stickers and same out of state plates for over two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 10:36 AM

15,441 posts, read 25,862,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I moved to Virginia in 1998. At the time, I actually did not have internet access, so I didn't even think of looking at someone's website. That being said, I knew I needed to change my registration, just like I knew I needed to change my license. This is standard in every single state.

What I didn't know is that I needed to buy a "county sticker" for the property taxes. While I realize this isn't through the DMV, it wouldn't be a bad thing for them to mention it or have a sign posted. They may now, but not in 1998.
I moved here first in 1997. I got all the info on the web using AOL. When I got here, every car had two stickers on the window. It didn't take long to find out what the tax sticker was for. The only thing that didn't make sense was having to get it from somewhere other than the DMV. The point is, why are so many people not making any effort to find out what is required? It's a different state with different laws. If they're planning to move to a new state, they should be researching instead of assuming the laws are the same everywhere.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:03 AM

790 posts, read 1,883,150 times
I ranted about this a few years ago on CD, and boy, let me tell you....I got an earful of negative comments. "Why don't you mind your own business!" "These people are probably hard working military folk and aren't required to register!" "Yup, I'll bet they are military and the OP doesn't get it." "Do you have nothing better to do with your time?!"

So, I'm refreshed to see some real dialogue.

Here's the deal -- they aren't registering their cars to AVOID THE CAR TAX. That is all. You can check their plates online and report them. In my condo development, some people have paid the tax and chosen to keep their out of state plates. You can see that online, too, and that is totally legal.

But many people -- especially those who have garage parking -- simply don't register to avoid the tax. It's annoying and unfair, I agree. And I believe Fairfax County doesn't have anyone on duty anymore to physically check cars. The positions were cut years ago, apparently.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:18 AM

160 posts, read 241,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowKing View Post
I agree, I lived in an upscale condo complex in Alexandria that is garaged (AKA, the police cannot get inside), and it seems that 25% are snowbirds that take advantage of their residency in FL or whatever other third world hellhole they have a condo in. However, I hate them slightly less than I hate all of the diplomat tags..
Wow, you sound like a delightful person. I don't support breaking the law, but how do you know what your neighbors' situations are?

Old 08-29-2014, 09:20 AM

160 posts, read 241,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
I ranted about this a few years ago on CD, and boy, let me tell you....I got an earful of negative comments. "Why don't you mind your own business!" "These people are probably hard working military folk and aren't required to register!" "Yup, I'll bet they are military and the OP doesn't get it." "Do you have nothing better to do with your time?!"

Here's the deal -- they aren't registering their cars to AVOID THE CAR TAX. That is all. You can check their plates online and report them. In my condo development, some people have paid the tax and chosen to keep their out of state plates. You can see that online, too, and that is totally legal.

But many people -- especially those who have garage parking -- simply don't register to avoid the tax. It's annoying and unfair, I agree. And I believe Fairfax County doesn't have anyone on duty anymore to physically check cars. The positions were cut years ago, apparently.
So the "military folk" have just packed up and left the DC area? That's not a valid point in the "dialogue"?

Old 08-29-2014, 10:12 AM

596 posts, read 731,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post

I'm sure this isn't what most people in this thread want to hear, but I just don't see the point of getting so worked up over something like this. I realize these people aren't following the law. However, in the grand scheme of the many "annoying and unfair" things in life to be concerned about, someone not registering their car in a new state is pretty far down on my list. I certainly wouldn't go around noting license plate numbers and then checking online to see if they've paid their car tax and reporting them if they haven't. That just seems like something that a busy body with a lot of free time on his/her hands would do.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:20 AM

15,154 posts, read 27,850,526 times
The issue w/me of those not registering/paying - they are using City, County, etc. services (fire, police....) - which tax dollars help fund.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:44 PM

69 posts, read 80,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
I am amazed to see the number of out of state license plates in my community (Alexandria). The only reason for an exemption from Virginia vehicle licensing is active duty military, yet where I live, I see many non-military people with out of state plates from nearby jurisdictions, and I have heard people at work boasting about registering cars in another state to avoid the VA property taxes. I propose that VA create an exemption sticker for the military (free), and the scofflaws should be tracked down, fined (depending on the length of time in violation), and be made to pay VA property taxes. This tax avoidance is really a form of stealing, since it forces the compliant to subsidize the non-compliant.

I have often said to my husband -" I could make a fortune from just a small percentage of the returns for rounding up the scofflaws, at least for a while." Communities could achieve a significant ROI by hiring compliance people, but a high priority is not placed on this matter. Case in point: Alexandria was planning to add a compliance staff position, but I am not sure that it made the final cut in the budget, which was revised to retain the hefty raises for City Staff (another pet peeve).

Seriously...do you drive around your neighborhood with a measuring stick and measure other people's lawns to make sure the grass is under the regulated height too??

Geez...seriously....get a life people....

Old 08-31-2014, 05:23 AM

1,110 posts, read 899,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
I'm sure this isn't what most people in this thread want to hear, but I just don't see the point of getting so worked up over something like this. I realize these people aren't following the law. However, in the grand scheme of the many "annoying and unfair" things in life to be concerned about, someone not registering their car in a new state is pretty far down on my list. I certainly wouldn't go around noting license plate numbers and then checking online to see if they've paid their car tax and reporting them if they haven't. That just seems like something that a busy body with a lot of free time on his/her hands would do.
I guess that you feel the same way about people not paying their income taxes, too! Either enforce the law or get rid of it. Why should some people comply and some not?

Old 08-31-2014, 05:27 AM

1,110 posts, read 899,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
The issue w/me of those not registering/paying - they are using City, County, etc. services (fire, police....) - which tax dollars help fund.
Exactly! ...it is a form of stealing, since the taxes can be, and have been substantial. The property tax is how Virginia chooses to fund many services at the state and local level. The net result of scofflawing is that some people are paying for others to have a free ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia