Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,662,282 times

Advertisements

Hey Virginia!

I'm from the Georgia board, where we were discussing potential conference realignments for college football. I just wanted to know what the cult following is in Virginia: UVA or VT? Obviously they're both big powerhouses for NCAA, but which one predominates? For example, I asked this in the Texas board and we had some TAMU v Texas debates.

There is a ton of rumor mill out there, and we're expecting some actions start coming through this week. BIG 12 will be meeting this weekend. BIG 10 is expected to pick off an ACC team this week or next, SEC will follow.

I'm wondering what would be the best economic pick for the SEC/BIG 10 in terms of viewership and fan base. Academically, obviously it's the AAU school...UVA. What about viewership wise? I picked this board because it seemed the most active with the most threads and posts.

For those of you wondering, head over to the college football section on city-data.com for more info on realignment rumors. My thread is also in the Atlanta forum.

Summary of bigger predictions:
BIG 10 takes UVA and one other team. Georgia Tech is a big possibly.
Results in SEC taking Duke-UNC or Virginia Tech and NCSU(if BIG take UNC and/or Duke)
BIG 12 takes FSU and Clemson
ACC fills the gap

Pac may join in, but it's up in the air.

So who's the winner?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 PM

867 posts, read 1,399,073 times
Why would either of them leave the ACC for the BIG 10 when Syracuse AND Notre Dame (atleaast ND Basketball) are becoming or trying to become ACC? Who in their right mind would want to leave the ACC?

Old 01-23-2013, 04:18 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,098,586 times
I think things are pretty settled now, at least for the bigger conferences. The Big East will still shake out and have effect on mid majors but not much else.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:29 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,454,188 times
I'd say Virginia Tech has the more passionate fan base and because of numbers of graduates. Tech is much larger than UVA.

Regarding anyone leaving the ACC, it will depend on how the lawsuit between ACC and Maryland turns out.

VTech would be the only team remotely possible to compete in the SEC, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:37 AM

136 posts, read 223,080 times
Tech has a much larger and more passionate following than UVA. Of course, I'm only talking about football, but it's obvious that football is king and the most relevant sport in terms of money, tv contracts, and conference alignment.

In the ACC, I think that Clemson, Miami, and FSU are the most "SEC-ready" programs with Tech and UNC following them. I don't think the other schools would be competitive and would likely be dead weight along with UK, Vandy, etc. The issue with UNC is that I don't think they'll go anywhere without Duke, and as a smaller private school, Duke can't compete in the larger conferences.

I think that if the SEC were to take two ACC schools, it would be Tech and NC State. Florida wouldn't allow FWU to join, and the same goes for Clemson with USCe, and Ga Tech with Georgia. But at the same time, I don't think that anything will happen this year. Of course, I didn't think that the B10 would expand this year either.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:18 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,517,978 times
VaTech fanbase > UVA fanbase.

BUT, UVA powerbase > VaTech powerbase.

Remember, a lot of strings had to get pulled to get UVA to agree to take VATech in the ACC. People like Gov. Warner himself had to get involved. VaTech leaving would **** off a LOT of people. Bigtime. Not saying they couldn't do it, but the political costs of bolting and leaving UVA on a listing ship would be too much.

Big 10 requires AAU membership IIRC.

If UVA were taken by the ACC and VaTech were taken by the Big 12/SEC, I could see the UVA folks accepting that.

I know that the research $$$ is much bigger than anything football can provide, but if it's a case of screwing over the non-revenue athletes for not all that much in football money ... I really hope folks step back.

Wa-hoo-wa!

Old 01-23-2013, 01:00 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,098,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Merrifield View Post

In the ACC, I think that Clemson, Miami, and FSU are the most "SEC-ready" programs
I previously followed Big East but now my team starts ACC. I used to always think Clemson was in the SEC anyways.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 PM

939 posts, read 1,894,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
I previously followed Big East but now my team starts ACC. I used to always think Clemson was in the SEC anyways.
Ahh, sound's like you'll fit right in with the ACC crowd.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:21 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,904,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Hey Virginia!

I'm from the Georgia board, where we were discussing potential conference realignments for college football. I just wanted to know what the cult following is in Virginia: UVA or VT? Obviously they're both big powerhouses for NCAA, but which one predominates? For example, I asked this in the Texas board and we had some TAMU v Texas debates.

There is a ton of rumor mill out there, and we're expecting some actions start coming through this week. BIG 12 will be meeting this weekend. BIG 10 is expected to pick off an ACC team this week or next, SEC will follow.

I'm wondering what would be the best economic pick for the SEC/BIG 10 in terms of viewership and fan base. Academically, obviously it's the AAU school...UVA. What about viewership wise? I picked this board because it seemed the most active with the most threads and posts.

For those of you wondering, head over to the college football section on city-data.com for more info on realignment rumors. My thread is also in the Atlanta forum.

Summary of bigger predictions:
BIG 10 takes UVA and one other team. Georgia Tech is a big possibly.
Results in SEC taking Duke-UNC or Virginia Tech and NCSU(if BIG take UNC and/or Duke)
BIG 12 takes FSU and Clemson
ACC fills the gap

Pac may join in, but it's up in the air.

So who's the winner?!

Virginia Tech doesn't necessarily dominate the state (majority), but we most certainly have the plurality. We fit in the SEC the most.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:35 PM

136 posts, read 223,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post

Remember, a lot of strings had to get pulled to get UVA to agree to take VATech in the ACC. People like Gov. Warner himself had to get involved. VaTech leaving would **** off a LOT of people. Bigtime. Not saying they couldn't do it, but the political costs of bolting and leaving UVA on a listing ship would be too much.
See, I used to agree with that position as well. But that was back when conference re-alignment still made some sense. Now, I don't think politics will be enough to stop Tech from jumping ship if the money was right.

At this point, Tech would probably be an average to above average team in the SEC - but that's without SEC money and clout in recruiting. So say somewhere below Bama, UF, Ga, LSU, and USCe. Maybe on par with TN. Now, with the additional funds, they could afford to upgrade their assistant coaching staff and recruiting budget and maybe contend for a national title every few years. I think that a lot of people with clout in VA politics would like to see that kind of exposure from a VA state school.

As for UVA, they would be a great fit for the B10 academically, but it's a matter of what the B10 would gain from it. They took Rutgers and MD for TV money, but what would UVA offer in terms of additional revenue? It has a fairly rich basketball tradition, and it's pretty dominant in some of the minor sports, but is that enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia