Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 11:53 AM

3 posts, read 7,953 times

Advertisements

So where are the great places to live for a single, professional, educated guy in his 30s who has to work in Fairfax County (where I-495 & 66 cross)? I have signed for a nice job in Fairfax and am in the process of relocating to the DC area.

I know Arlington and DC have the highest concentration of fun things to do and also eligible single women, but I have no idea what the traffic would be like commuting by car to Fairfax from those places.

Also, the idea of actually living in Fairfax County as a single eligible guy is downright depressing based on everything my friends and future coworkers have told me. Could you please write to me your suggestions? Thank you.

Basic info about me:

early/mid-30s with professional degree, grew up in a poor family and we worked our way up in the world
have worked hard and now making six figures; can comfortably pay $2000-3500+/month in rent
never married, no kids, no debt
have car and I can only drive to work due to the urgent nature of my profession
not into buying a home right now because renting provides ultimate flexibility
would like to meet an intelligent, well-educated, attractive woman in her late 20s/early 30s + good values

I'm looking for:
walkable access to outdoors (biking, running), fun shops and well-equipped gym
a commute to Fairfax County (495 & 66 crossing) that is under 20-30 minutes
sensible parking options when my family/ladyfriend wants to visit me at my place and not get towed!
abundance of trees, grass, sunlight
don't care about "good schools" right now, since having kids is years away

I'm also open to any suggestions for other cities (in the US/world) that might fit my profile better. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 12:52 PM

104 posts, read 153,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy View Post
So where are the great places to live for a single, professional, educated guy in his 30s who has to work in Fairfax County (where I-495 & 66 cross)? I have signed for a nice job in Fairfax and am in the process of relocating to the DC area.

TL;DR
You should move to Ballston or Clarendon, as both offer:
1/Access to lots of running trails
2/Access to lots of gyms
3/Access to lots of single chicks
4/Easy commute to Tysons

Old 09-02-2014, 01:00 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Mosaic District? It's trendy...

Old 09-02-2014, 01:25 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Reston Town Center? I hated living there in my early-20s, but a lot of the singles there are in their 30s. The Washington & Old Dominion Trail runs right through the town...errr..."census designated place"...and there are numerous gyms (I liked Fitness First when I lived there). Although I'm a gay male from what I could tell there were a lot of attractive females there---as a caveat, though, Grindr and Tinder weren't around yet, so I don't know what you'll find there now. There is an extensive winding trail network through the woods of the community, too, which aren't useful for getting from Point A to Point B but make for a nice leisurely jog or stroll. Reston isn't "urban" (don't listen to the people on here who tell you it is because it's marginally more "urban" than Broadlands, South Riding, or wherever else they have to live), but it offers proximity to your job in Fairfax and isn't a bad drive into Arlington/DC during off-peak hours (not to mention the new Silver Line runs right to East Falls Church, if I'm not mistaken, where you'd transfer to the Orange Line into Arlington/DC).

Rent at a tower in Reston Town Center, save a bit on rent, and use the excess to truly enjoy the area. I think I truly would have enjoyed living in the region more if I wasn't poor when I lived there. It's a horrible place to live if you're struggling financially.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 09-02-2014 at 02:20 PM..

Old 09-02-2014, 01:34 PM

617 posts, read 1,356,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
If you work exactly at the cross of 495 and 66, you're either working in Merrifield, or at a golf course or in the middle of a neighborhood. Either way, spencgr just gave you your most convenient option.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:09 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy View Post

I know Arlington and DC have the highest concentration of fun things to do and also eligible single women, but I have no idea what the traffic would be like commuting by car to Fairfax from those places.

Also, the idea of actually living in Fairfax County as a single eligible guy is downright depressing based on everything my friends and future coworkers have told me. Could you please write to me your suggestions? Thank you.

Basic info about me:

early/mid-30s with professional degree, grew up in a poor family and we worked our way up in the world
have worked hard and now making six figures; can comfortably pay $2000-3500+/month in rent
never married, no kids, no debt
have car and I can only drive to work due to the urgent nature of my profession
not into buying a home right now because renting provides ultimate flexibility
would like to meet an intelligent, well-educated, attractive woman in her late 20s/early 30s + good values

I'm looking for:
walkable access to outdoors (biking, running), fun shops and well-equipped gym
a commute to Fairfax County (495 & 66 crossing) that is under 20-30 minutes
sensible parking options when my family/ladyfriend wants to visit me at my place and not get towed!
abundance of trees, grass, sunlight
don't care about "good schools" right now, since having kids is years away

I'm also open to any suggestions for other cities (in the US/world) that might fit my profile better. Thank you so much.
You didn't say exactly where in Fairfax, but I think Carlyle Apartments/Meridian or one of the nearby newer places in Old Town (the new part of OT) Alexandria might work for you. The drive is a bit of a stretch, but I've done and it wasn't too bad. Worth it to live in OT.

I think Reston Town Center might be a bit old for you, although that could change now that metro is almost there. Ballston/Clarendon would be good, but I'm not sure about that commute.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:38 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I was thinking the same thing based on the OP's work location.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:40 PM

313 posts, read 551,855 times
OP,

I'd second the Mosaic district and also throw in a vote for Clarendon or Old Town. The sensible parking options for your significant other are pretty much non existent, but this is trumped by the access you'll have to downtown DC and the like. Congrats on all the hard work, glad you're getting paid.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:13 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Reston Town Center? I hated living there in my early-20s, but a lot of the singles there are in their 30s. The Washington & Old Dominion Trail runs right through the town...errr..."census designated place"...and there are numerous gyms (I liked Fitness First when I lived there). Although I'm a gay male from what I could tell there were a lot of attractive females there---as a caveat, though, Grindr and Tinder weren't around yet, so I don't know what you'll find there now. There is an extensive winding trail network through the woods of the community, too, which aren't useful for getting from Point A to Point B but make for a nice leisurely jog or stroll. Reston isn't "urban" (don't listen to the people on here who tell you it is because it's marginally more "urban" than Broadlands, South Riding, or wherever else they have to live), but it offers proximity to your job in Fairfax and isn't a bad drive into Arlington/DC during off-peak hours (not to mention the new Silver Line runs right to East Falls Church, if I'm not mistaken, where you'd transfer to the Orange Line into Arlington/DC).

Rent at a tower in Reston Town Center, save a bit on rent, and use the excess to truly enjoy the area. I think I truly would have enjoyed living in the region more if I wasn't poor when I lived there. It's a horrible place to live if you're struggling financially.
SCR you are out of touch with the Reston of today and are giving bad advice. The Silver line goes directly from Reston to Largo Maryland thru downtown DC.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:02 PM

137 posts, read 277,689 times
I would give Arlington a try. It's not that far from the beltway so I can't imagine the commute will be too long, though I'm sure slow moving. I live in Maryland and like Arlington enough to visit. It's basically Bethesda except more things to do and more young professionals. I'm in the same boat...single, 30s...there's good "scenery" in Arlington. That would be my first vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia