Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 04:44 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy View Post
I know Arlington and DC have the highest concentration of fun things to do and also eligible single women, but I have no idea what the traffic would be like commuting by car to Fairfax from those places.
It would be a reverse commute, since most people are heading into DC rather than away in the morning and the reverse in the evening. Probably still some significant traffic, but not bumper-to-bumper. I think Clarendon/Virginia Square (Arlington) are tailor made for you. Also take a look at places near the East Falls Church Metro, which is right at I-66 (in Arlington)--and right on a major bike path (W&OD Trail). There are condos there, but surely some are for rent.

Also consider buildings on Route 50, which is a quick shot to that same area. E.g., The Chatham and Arlington Oaks, both at George Mason Dr./Route 50. Both are condos but may have units for rent. A major bike path (Four Mile Run Trail) goes near there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 07:04 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,751 times
DC itself will be the best option for you socially.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:11 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Iv'e re-read all the posts and can't figure why noone has mentioned Fairfax Corner. Go there this Friday night and have a cocktail at Coastal Flats. The area is remarkable and is the very demographic you seek. There's even a Wegman's, and that in itself is a major benefit.
If I was your age and wanted everything you describe, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:15 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
DC itself will be the best option for you socially.
If he has to commute daily to the city of Fairfax, that will be an ugly commute. IMHO Arlington is as far east as he would want to consider. I think the Mosaic would be a good option, though he could live in Arl and go into DC some evenings.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:26 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
Fairfax Corner is a stretch of a commute. It's a nice area but the congestion along 66 and Fair Oaks just aren't worth it for me. Also probably has the least young people of all the places that have been suggested.

Old Town is nice especially around Carlyle but the nightlife really isn't that great and there really aren't as many young people there as other parts. Also stretch of a commute.

Mosaic isn't bad, but it's much smaller than Reston and Arlington, and the nightlife isn't great. Also not nearly as walkable.

I would recommend either Reston Town Center or Wilson Boulevard corridor. Both have tons of trails and are walkable. Both have good nightlife with lots of young people with more along Wilson Boulevard. Parking in Arlington is actually a lot easier than people realize, and definitely better than DC. Arlington would also be the easiest commute.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:28 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoiadilucania View Post
You should move to Ballston or Clarendon, as both offer:
1/Access to lots of running trails
2/Access to lots of gyms
3/Access to lots of single chicks
4/Easy commute to Tysons
This guy states he'll be working near Merrifield, so why would you suggest he needs a horrible commute?
Merrifield has Mosaic($$$), and all that's going on by the Dunn Loring Metro. It's right behind Tysons Corner and all the energy that offers. Traffic here is the worst in the Nation, so I'd live as near my job as I could afford.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:24 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
This guy states he'll be working near Merrifield, so why would you suggest he needs a horrible commute?
It's not a horrible commute if he lives in north Arlington, particularly Ballston or along Lee Hwy. I commuted from there to Falls Church for one job, and from Arlington to Merrifield near the post office for another. Was not aggravating - and I'm the type who'd hate to be stuck on 495 or 66.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:57 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,751 times
Quote:
Merrifield has Mosaic($$$), and all that's going on by the Dunn Loring Metro. It's right behind Tysons Corner and all the energy that offers. Traffic here is the worst in the Nation, so I'd live as near my job as I could afford.

Yes, Tysons offers all the same energy that Arlington and DC do.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:45 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
Quote:
Tysons is lame and while Mosaic District is up and coming, it's not there yet. Wilson Boulevard corridor is much, much more walkable and is actually a neighborhood. A lot of the people who hang out at Mosaic drive there and don't live there.

Arlington is not as far as you're making it out to be either.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:46 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
SCR you are out of touch with the Reston of today and are giving bad advice. The Silver line goes directly from Reston to Largo Maryland thru downtown DC.
Yes, Reston is different now. Rent at the center is pretty expensive, actually, and property values there have gone up quite a bit recently. A lot of previously rented condos are now being sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia