Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 03:06 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Iv'e re-read all the posts and can't figure why noone has mentioned Fairfax Corner. Go there this Friday night and have a cocktail at Coastal Flats. The area is remarkable and is the very demographic you seek. There's even a Wegman's, and that in itself is a major benefit.
If I was your age and wanted everything you describe, I'd be there in a heartbeat.
I lived in that area for many years, and while I really liked it, I don't think it meets the OP's needs as stated.

However, I hardly think Fairfax County is as undesirable as the OP said he has been led to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 03:12 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
I'm wondering why "very eligible" was added to the standard "single guy" (which is really all that's needed)

Old 09-03-2014, 03:15 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
This guy states he'll be working near Merrifield, so why would you suggest he needs a horrible commute?
Merrifield has Mosaic($$$), and all that's going on by the Dunn Loring Metro. It's right behind Tysons Corner and all the energy that offers. Traffic here is the worst in the Nation, so I'd live as near my job as I could afford.
Nothing is a horrible commute from deep inside the Beltway. I know; I've done Arlington to Rockville and Arlington to Belvoir. Neither was bad. (I did turn down a job at Quantico, partly because there's only one way to get there--395--and if it's backed up, you're screwed.) Clarendon to, say, Inova Fairfax would be a piece of cake. 66 for reverse commute is non-HOV. Or he could take 50.

I don't think Mosaic would be a bad choice for him, but he seems to be more likely to drive to work. And as others have said, it may not be as exciting nor full of young single ladies.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:09 AM

109 posts, read 122,348 times
Dear Crunchy

Thanks for posting, I am also possibly working in Farifax and glad i read your post because i am in same boat with what i want and the age group, albeit i am female. I lived in DC (upper georgetown) which I adored and this is why i want to move back to area, but dont like driving and love the outdoors, metro life. I want to meet somone and be around fun things/active-outdoor opportunities with needing to commute especially drive too much

Currently living in sw florida which i have tried for climate and lifestyle reasons but honestly dont like it despite having good social group in ft myers for 30s. Naples is all rich and poor no middle class or 30s age group, and i spend more time in car than i did living in northern NJ. DC for me is ideal lifestyle and town, just got to find right fit with commute and livability. I am not as well off as you but hoping one day to make 6 figures or more

Go Get Some Trees and Oxygen, good luck with your search

SG

Old 09-04-2014, 04:19 AM

1,110 posts, read 895,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I'm wondering why "very eligible" was added to the standard "single guy" (which is really all that's needed)
He means that he has many qualities that are desirable to single females who are looking to date a decent fellow... he is not just interested in bar hopping and skirt chasing..

Old 09-04-2014, 05:50 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
SCR you are out of touch with the Reston of today and are giving bad advice. The Silver line goes directly from Reston to Largo Maryland thru downtown DC.
Stop shamelessly over-promoting your town to inflate your real estate value. The arrival of the Silver Line and accompanying construction of a few more high-rises since I moved away in 2010 still doesn't make Reston "urban".

Old 09-04-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Yes, Reston is different now. Rent at the center is pretty expensive, actually, and property values there have gone up quite a bit recently. A lot of previously rented condos are now being sold.
Rent was always expensive at Reston Town Center, but it remains less expensive than living in Clarendon, Court House, or NW DC.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:51 AM

104 posts, read 153,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Mosaic District? It's trendy...
I don't understand the allure here -- it's an outdoor shopping mall. Outside the ground it's self storage, warehouse stores, strip malls, and a garden center...

Old 09-04-2014, 06:53 AM

104 posts, read 153,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Reston Town Center?

blah blah
blah blah
The original poster wants "a commute to Fairfax County (495 & 66 crossing) that is under 20-30 minutes". That's not possible from Reston Town Center unless he's leaving/returning at God awful hours.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoiadilucania View Post
I don't understand the allure here -- it's an outdoor shopping mall. Outside the ground it's self storage, warehouse stores, strip malls, and a garden center...
Sounds like most of Northern Virginia, actually. Insert a cul-de-sac or two and a fast-food place for good measure. The reason why it takes a half-hour to go two miles all the time is due to this haphazard history of urban planning, and the only way you all are going to find any relief is to be willing to stomach tax increases to dramatically transform the area into one that is better-planned with less stupid loopy cul-de-sacs and windy feeder roads (to "add character" or "prestige") and more grids to provide more efficient ways to get from Point A to Point B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia