U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 02:16 PM

9 posts, read 25,871 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I currently live in Alexandria (22312-FFX county) right next to 395. I love that I am very close to downtown and I would love to stay in Alexandria, but it appears that a lot of the public schools are not doing as well as the rest of the county schools. Hubby and I are thinking about moving deeper into the suburbs (W. Springfield, Burke), but we both work in DC and it would suck to increase our commute. We have a new baby, she wont be entering the school system until 2019, but the school in our neighborhood has a higher percentage of kids who receive free/reduce lunch. I'm not trying to be a snob; I actually am a social worker and I went to not such a great HS (Falls Church), but It seems that all the FCPS schools that are in Alexandria have low test scores even though it is expensive to live here and the population medium income is rather high- so is everyone who putting their kids in private school?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 02:44 PM

5,746 posts, read 9,443,432 times
Yes--at least for Alexandria City (e.g., Old Town, Rosemont, Beverly Hills, Del Ray, etc.). Others are finding ways to weasel their kids into a better school they're otherwise not zoned for. More often, they move to N. Arlington, Falls Church City, or Springfield when the kids reach school age.

Fairfax County is a different story--and one I know less about. (Most schools there are considered better than those in Alex. City.)

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 09-29-2014 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: Misread original post to mean Alex. City

Old 09-29-2014, 03:50 PM

5,103 posts, read 9,019,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle.sosa09 View Post
Hey,

I currently live in Alexandria (22312-FFX county) right next to 395. I love that I am very close to downtown and I would love to stay in Alexandria, but it appears that a lot of the public schools are not doing as well as the rest of the county schools. Hubby and I are thinking about moving deeper into the suburbs (W. Springfield, Burke), but we both work in DC and it would suck to increase our commute. We have a new baby, she wont be entering the school system until 2019, but the school in our neighborhood has a higher percentage of kids who receive free/reduce lunch. I'm not trying to be a snob; I actually am a social worker and I went to not such a great HS (Falls Church), but It seems that all the FCPS schools that are in Alexandria have low test scores even though it is expensive to live here and the population medium income is rather high- so is everyone who putting their kids in private school?
It may be expensive, in absolute terms, to live in 22312, but it's one of the more affordable parts of Fairfax County, so it follows that the schools - most kids in that zip code near 395 are zoned for either Annandale or Edison - will tend to have lower average test scores than schools in many other parts of the county.

But that does not mean that "everyone is putting their kids in private school." There may be one or two elementary schools in the area that have reached a tipping point where people who can afford to do so tend to go private. But I think most of the schools are decent options, particularly for kids who have parental support, and that you'd find the percentage of residents sending their kids to the public schools to be higher than in the City of Alexandria, which has more private schools and more parents historically have gone private.

Maybe the gut check is to ask yourself whether you feel like you were deprived of opportunities by going to Falls Church HS rather than, say, Madison, McLean or Woodson HS. If the answer is "yes," you may have misgivings down the road if you're looking at Annandale or Edison for your kid(s). If the answer is "no" or "not really," you'd probably be fine with the schools for which you are currently zoned. Of course, you still have five years to monitor the test scores, talk to neighbors, visit the schools, check out other neighborhoods, etc.

Finally, for what it's worth, all the schools in that general area (Bren Mar Park, Columbia, Parklawn and Weyanoke ES, Holmes and Twain MS, and Annandale and Edison HS) are fully accredited based on the latest SOL results.

Last edited by JD984; 09-29-2014 at 05:00 PM..

Old 09-29-2014, 05:09 PM

24,897 posts, read 35,553,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle.sosa09 View Post
Hey,

I finished my education out in the City of Alexandria school system (2 yrs at TC Williams). Alexandria City has a high percentage of private school kids, but for the Alexandria part of Fairfax County, most of my friends parents who lived there decided to stick with the public schools, like Hayfield, Lee, W Potomac, Edison, etc. All of them have pretty favorable opinions of the quality of education they received throughout their K-12 careers. I'd recommend you move not for the schools, I just have never liked the Bren Mar/Lincolnia area personally. But otherwise I think you'd find the schools I that area are up to task and provide a solid education.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:41 PM

2,717 posts, read 4,804,323 times
One thing to remember is that many households inside the beltway do not have school age children in them.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:35 PM

4,711 posts, read 11,367,726 times
"is everybody putting their kids in private school?"

I don't think so.

Have you priced private schools? They can hit $20K+ per year.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:28 AM

5,350 posts, read 6,438,939 times
No. Public schools in Fairfax County's "Alexandria" have plenty of middle class students and are not predominantly struggling or disadvantaged.

And in Alexandria proper (ACPS), while there are many who do send their kids to private, it is not the case that only the disadvantaged go to public. I know many white collar professionals with 6 figure incomes sending their kids to public. This shift away from the attitude that in Alexandria you move out when your kid reaches school age or else you go private began at least 9 years ago, with more and more "buy-in" from middle and upper middle class parents who are strong school supporters.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:28 AM

8,146 posts, read 18,755,102 times
Many kids who live in the unincorporated Alexandria section in Fairfax County would eventually end up at West Potomac, perhaps the most socioeconomically diverse high school in the county. Some elementary schools are more well-regarded than others but, generally speaking, schools east of Route 1/Richmond Highway will have the highest % of middle-class+ households.

I'm not so familiar with the assignment of Alexandria kids who live closer to Kingstowne, Rose Hill, etc.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:07 AM

5,103 posts, read 9,019,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Many kids who live in the unincorporated Alexandria section in Fairfax County would eventually end up at West Potomac, perhaps the most socioeconomically diverse high school in the county. Some elementary schools are more well-regarded than others but, generally speaking, schools east of Route 1/Richmond Highway will have the highest % of middle-class+ households.

I'm not so familiar with the assignment of Alexandria kids who live closer to Kingstowne, Rose Hill, etc.
Kids who live closer to Kingstowne or Rose Hill near Telegraph Road are zoned for Edison and Hayfield. The OP is off 395 in the 22312 zip code, and that area is zoned for Annandale and Edison. The areas zoned for West Potomac are further southeast - mostly in the 22303, 22306, 22307 and 22308 zip codes, but WestPo (an AP school) also gets some other Alexandria students who are pupil placing from Mount Vernon and other IB schools.

Last edited by JD984; 09-30-2014 at 11:00 AM..

Old 09-30-2014, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,691 times
I lived in Alexandria and a lot of the people I know went to Madeira, Foxcroft, Georgetown Prep, Woodberry, Episcopal,etc. and I go to Emma Willard. Some people I know go to PVI or Bishop O'Connell but those are basically public schools with a bit of Jesus in there. I know a few people who go to TJ and McLean as well.
I guess a lot of people do but it might just be people I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or