Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 03:56 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times

Advertisements

I recall VHC Arlington came up in a recent thread. We've had several bad experiences there, unlike some other forum members.

And then this came out in ArlNow this evening:

ACFD: Va. Hospital Center Refused to Admit Suspected Ebola Patient | ARLnow.com

We're all lucky it turned out she didn't have ebola--because if she did, we could all have been put at risk. (Even if they weren't ready to treat ebola, despite having previously claimed they were, they could at least have quarantined her till she could be tested.)

Read the Yelp reviews; VHC is a backwater, disorganized hospital, with a lot of incompetent and uncaring staff members peppered among the good ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 04:30 PM

99 posts, read 190,612 times
Reckless

Old 10-20-2014, 07:02 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,790,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Read the Yelp reviews; VHC is a backwater, disorganized hospital, with a lot of incompetent and uncaring staff members peppered among the good ones.
Well, my wife happens to be a nurse at VHC. I won't comment one way or the other regarding what I think about the hospital because my opinion would obviously be biased. However, I would just keep in mind that hospitals are very large organizations with a lot of moving pieces. To characterize an entire hospital this way based on this incident, a couple personal experiences, or Yelp reviews is, in my opinion, very unfair. If you've had bad experiences there and wouldn't recommend the hospital to others based upon those experiences, fine. But, that really does not qualify you to make this sort of judgment about the entire hospital - anymore than I am qualified being the husband of a nurse that works there.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:35 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
Well, my wife happens to be a nurse at VHC. I won't comment one way or the other regarding what I think about the hospital because my opinion would obviously be biased. However, I would just keep in mind that hospitals are very large organizations with a lot of moving pieces. To characterize an entire hospital this way based on this incident, a couple personal experiences, or Yelp reviews is, in my opinion, very unfair. If you've had bad experiences there and wouldn't recommend the hospital to others based upon those experiences, fine. But, that really does not qualify you to make this sort of judgment about the entire hospital - anymore than I am qualified being the husband of a nurse that works there.
We've seen some good nurses there, and I did acknowledge that there are good people working there with the bad. But we've had experienced some real sloppiness and just lack of giving a s--t. I think this recent incident says a lot about the hospital administration.

And I do think firsthand patient reviews--whether on Yelp or elsewhere--are relevant. If numerous people say they experience similar problems, that indicates a pattern of uneven care. Just because some patients luck into getting the better doctors, nurses, and assistants and don't experience those problems doesn't mean other patients don't.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 10-20-2014 at 08:05 PM..

Old 10-20-2014, 07:57 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,435,440 times
If a hospital is not able to care for a patient the care is transferred to another hospital. This happens all the time, like someone with an aortic dissection showing up at Fair Oaks and being transferred to a higher hospital (like Fairfax or Hospital Center). VHC never actually admitted the patient, but the idea is the same.

What happened here is that someone (dispatch/ER) thought VHC could handle the patient and said to bring them over...obvious someone higher up the food chain heard of it in the meantime and put the kabosh on it, lest they become the next hospital like Dallas. So really this whole situation could have been avoided if the higher ups made it clear that VHC was 'ready to put out a press release, but not really ready to actually accept a patient' to the every day workers that accept new patients from EMS.

The Ebola fear mongering will only get worse with flu season coming. It's going to be an "abundance of caution" fall.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:03 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,790,419 times
I'll leave it to others to judge the validity of VHC's statement regarding why they turned away the potential ebola patient, but here is the story from WTOP including the statement:

Va. Hospital Center Issues Statement About Ebola Incident - WTOP.com

Old 10-22-2014, 11:45 AM

178 posts, read 233,238 times
I'm surprised they aren't getting slapped with an EMTALA violation for not doing a medical screening exam (unless the ED doc went out to the ambulance to do the MSE).

Old 10-24-2014, 01:59 PM

52 posts, read 83,377 times
I was a patient at VHC in 2013 and had a great experience. Great in terms of hospitals, but there was nothing negative except the food. Oh dear baby Jeezus the food was soul-crushingly awful.
As someone with a science background and having worked in labs (BSLs), if what VHC reported was true I personally feel they did everyone involved a great service. But I would admit any hospital accepting a reported Ebola patient is putting themselves at risk of losing business and risking a PR rollercoaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: