Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 04:22 PM

4 posts, read 8,045 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are trying to figure out the best places to look for a home. I work in Centreville and she works in Rockville. We want to find a 3 bedroom place that is affordable (350k or less) and where our commutes would be comparable. Right now we live in Sterling and my commute is about 30 minutes and hers is about an hour. We have looked at Leesburg (where she would likely be taking the ferry or point of rocks bridge) and Lovettsville, as well as the Frederick area. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? We are both pretty tied to jobs in Centreville and Rockville so changing jobs would not be simple.

Edit: We also both have to be at work by 8 am
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 07:26 PM

4,892 posts, read 7,387,635 times
Obviously, there is no easy answer. My question would be who is willing to make the longer commute? If you wife does, then Ashburn. If you do, then Leesburg. The only other idea I would offer is Poolesville. You'd have to take the ferry but houses are relatively affordable there. Of course, if either of you are depending on the ferry, you have to know it does occasionally close -- ice, debris, heavy flooding, mechanical problems. It's a long way around without it. Best of luck.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:40 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,505,207 times
If you want a commute that wont make you homicidal, I would look in the Merrifield, Annandale, or Falls Church area. Probably would have to get a townhouse.

No way I would ever rely on that rinky dink ferry, but each to their own.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I think I would be more willing to commute farther so maybe Leesburg then?

Old 10-28-2014, 10:27 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,346,738 times
Tysons area, close to 495 or what gomason said.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:55 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,647,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz Mandar View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I think I would be more willing to commute farther so maybe Leesburg then?
I can't see how a Leesburg to Rockville commute is reasonable. i do an Ashburn to Rockville commute, but it's only temporary. Why would you want to put your wife through that on a more permanent basis? Living closer to the Beltway would make way more sense as a halfway point.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I can't see how a Leesburg to Rockville commute is reasonable. i do an Ashburn to Rockville commute, but it's only temporary. Why would you want to put your wife through that on a more permanent basis? Living closer to the Beltway would make way more sense as a halfway point.
I guess the issue for us would be finances. Not sure what would be affordable at 350k near the beltway from some of the research I have done. I would be willing to have the longer commute, would somewhere in MD be more reasonable? We just want to have a decent place for that price range.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:14 PM

4,892 posts, read 7,387,635 times
When you say 3 bedrooms, no more than $350k, are you talking single family, townhouse or are you open to condo/apt?

Also, depending on your family size and your income, you may want to look into the Moderately Priced Dwelling Units (MPDU) in Montgomery County. There are tons of restrictions but there is a small group of them in Potomac in the Avenel neighborhood.

Anywhere close to the Beltway in McLean and Bethesda/Potomac will be out of your price range. You'd have to go pretty far out in Maryland which would make your commute painful.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
When you say 3 bedrooms, no more than $350k, are you talking single family, townhouse or are you open to condo/apt?

Also, depending on your family size and your income, you may want to look into the Moderately Priced Dwelling Units (MPDU) in Montgomery County. There are tons of restrictions but there is a small group of them in Potomac in the Avenel neighborhood.

Anywhere close to the Beltway in McLean and Bethesda/Potomac will be out of your price range. You'd have to go pretty far out in Maryland which would make your commute painful.
We would prefer a townhouse or SFH rather than a condo. Our income is a combined 100k and we are both in our 20s. We also want to live in an area that is not super crowded if that makes sense

Old 10-30-2014, 12:42 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,647,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz Mandar View Post
We would prefer a townhouse or SFH rather than a condo. Our income is a combined 100k and we are both in our 20s. We also want to live in an area that is not super crowded if that makes sense
100k will eliminate any chance of MPDU's being an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia