Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2007, 05:38 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,190,856 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am wondering if anyone has any opinions about the above two apartments. I am looking at one bedrooms in each building. My impressions overall are as follows:

I love the floor plan of the apt in Carlyle Mill, and while its not a highrise it has a bit of highrise feel, with a pub, resident gatherings, fitness center, and pool on site.

Meridian at Carlyle on the other hand seems to me to be better located. They aren't far apart, but old town for example seems like an easier walk from Meridian than from Carlyle Mill. Meridian is also a "true" highrise, with a concierge, etc.

The Carlyle Mill apt was bigger but not significantly so. The parking is easier at Carlyle Mill, particularly visitor parking. My friends in this area are mostly suburbanites, so if they are to come visit me they will have to drive. There is no free visitor parking at Meridian which is a big negative.

Prices seemed similar, but Carlyle Mill's price is "straight" while Meridian's is brought down by 2mos free rent, which may or may not be available again when it comes time to renew - so the price could shoot up big time after a year.

I like the decor of Carlyle Mill better - it seemed more modern, while Meridian looked like fairly standard "apartment white/beige."

So - does anyone have any thoughts on these two places, or others I should check out? I have applied for a job with the USPTO and if I get it I will take it. I would like to live somewhere where I can walk, without too much difficulty, to work, Old Town, and Metro. My price range is 1400ish (both the Carlyle Mill apt and the Meridian one, with the special, were just below that, around 1350-1375).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 07:48 PM

43 posts, read 241,045 times
http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...t-Carlyle.html

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...lyle-Mill.html

If you're going to be a federal employee (as opposed to a contractor), you may wish to check for government discounts. Personally, I cannot speak for the interior or management of either place. I would think that Meridian would be a slightly easier walk (two blocks) from the PTO. Not a huge difference, but might be worthwhile if you will be working a support (on-call) position, and/or in bad weather. Also, Meridian is closer to Old Town. They are both probably equal distance to Metro stations (Meridian - King Street, Mill - Eisenhower). At Mill, you run the chance of getting an apartment exposed to the beltway, which is prone to traffic and construction noises. Good luck!

Old 01-01-2008, 01:53 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,341,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahutch View Post
Hey all,

I am wondering if anyone has any opinions about the above two apartments. I am looking at one bedrooms in each building. My impressions overall are as follows:

I love the floor plan of the apt in Carlyle Mill, and while its not a highrise it has a bit of highrise feel, with a pub, resident gatherings, fitness center, and pool on site.

Meridian at Carlyle on the other hand seems to me to be better located. They aren't far apart, but old town for example seems like an easier walk from Meridian than from Carlyle Mill. Meridian is also a "true" highrise, with a concierge, etc.

The Carlyle Mill apt was bigger but not significantly so. The parking is easier at Carlyle Mill, particularly visitor parking. My friends in this area are mostly suburbanites, so if they are to come visit me they will have to drive. There is no free visitor parking at Meridian which is a big negative.

Prices seemed similar, but Carlyle Mill's price is "straight" while Meridian's is brought down by 2mos free rent, which may or may not be available again when it comes time to renew - so the price could shoot up big time after a year.

I like the decor of Carlyle Mill better - it seemed more modern, while Meridian looked like fairly standard "apartment white/beige."

So - does anyone have any thoughts on these two places, or others I should check out? I have applied for a job with the USPTO and if I get it I will take it. I would like to live somewhere where I can walk, without too much difficulty, to work, Old Town, and Metro. My price range is 1400ish (both the Carlyle Mill apt and the Meridian one, with the special, were just below that, around 1350-1375).

Thanks!
They are both close walks to PTO, though Meridian is closer.

As for visitor parking, it isn't hard to find street parking after hours within a short walk of Meridian. On the weekend during the day, it is more difficult, but I've still always found a spot somewhere in Carlyle. During the workday, parking is very tight, but I don't know if you'd have visitors then anyway.

Carlyle Mill is next to a jail. I don't know if that matters to you, but just an FYI. I know a woman who was considering living there who decided not to for that reason.

Location-wise, I like Meridian more. You're closer to work, closer to Old Town, closer to the grocery store (Whole Foods on Duke), and closer to the better Metro station (King St has Yellow and Blue lines, Eisenhower only has Yellow).

All that said, Carlyle Mill seems like the better long-term value. Those "2 months rent free" at Meridian are just to entice you to move in, and they won't be there next year, unless they're really hurting for tenants. Your rent at Meridian would be going up bigtime next year.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who lives in either building, so I can't help you on anything other than the location issues. From my viewpoint, it's a tough call between the two, just depends on your priorities and how long you plan on living there, I guess.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:56 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,341,017 times
One other suggestion is to check the condos near PTO. I know owners of the 1 bedrooms at Carlyle Towers sometimes post their condos for rent on Craigslist or washingtonpost.com.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:06 AM

1,152 posts, read 3,190,856 times
Great, thanks for the info.

I think next time I am visiting the area, I am going to walk from the Mill to the USPTO and to King Street, just to see how long it takes. The Carlyle Mill looks like it is in a location that will start to "fill in" with stuff very soon - just across Eisenhower this is already happening.

That aside.. does anyone have any other suggestions (besides the private owner option, which I will look into more once I know if I actually have the job)? I am not wed to the Carlyle area - anywhere around the King Street Metro would be great.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:52 PM

42 posts, read 279,930 times
I've lived at the Meridan Carlyle for about 18 months and would definitely recommend it. Location is excellent, building has nice amenities and quiet tenants. Management has been friendly although I haven't really asked anything of them yet. Visitors have never had much trouble finding a parking spot in the area.

I wonder what the deal is with the rent specials--they certainly weren't offering any when I moved in (IIRC there were only two vacancies coming up that month). Maybe it's just the slow season. Sounds like a pretty good deal for you though.

FWIW, my rent went up about 5% when I renewed my lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia