Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 07:43 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I would be a lot more worried if it was random and not a drug-related. People getting shot at their front door by a crazy guy in Alexandria is a lot more worrying to me.

I agree.
The random stuff is what freaks me out: just going about your business and being robbed/mugged/or worse by strangers just for opportunity.

This "school-aged" gun violence any more always seems to come back to drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 04:51 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I would be a lot more worried if it was random and not a drug-related. People getting shot at their front door by a crazy guy in Alexandria is a lot more worrying to me.
I don't think that was random. All three victims were fairly high-profile.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...ffd_story.html

Old 11-17-2014, 04:53 PM

32 posts, read 53,359 times
Man killed, teen injured in Woodbridge shooting - The Washington Post

Old 11-17-2014, 06:27 PM

684 posts, read 815,944 times
Thats why people need to enjoy being able to own a gun and carrying for your own safety and defense.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:18 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,026,912 times
Ok we will continue to have crime. This area isn't immune to crime. We can post these articles forever, but at the same time even with that incident, this area isn't quite the cesspool that people make it out to be. I don't have an issue when people just feel like they can't put up with incidents like that and would rather move, but to act like a) moving somewhere else is going to help you avoid crime completely is delusional and b) comparing the area based on every incident like this to a crime ridden urban area is just wrong.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:51 PM

6,588 posts, read 8,462,389 times
I follow Prince William County Police's FB page and read their daily incident reports. It appears that a lot of the violent crime that occurs is between individuals who are known to one another.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:11 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I follow Prince William County Police's FB page and read their daily incident reports. It appears that a lot of the violent crime that occurs is between individuals who are known to one another.
I agree. I don't hear much about random stuff, although I'm sure it's there. But that can be said for other areas. My god, that thing that happened in McLean was pretty bad with the lawyers, huh?

Of course, if that happened inWoodbridge (and yes, we do have lawyers in Woodbridge) we'd be hearing more ghetto references.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:33 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,292,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I can attest after 30 plus years with PWCPD most of the violent crime is indeed committed by someone the victim knows.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:34 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,026,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I agree. I don't hear much about random stuff, although I'm sure it's there. But that can be said for other areas. My god, that thing that happened in McLean was pretty bad with the lawyers, huh?

Of course, if that happened inWoodbridge (and yes, we do have lawyers in Woodbridge) we'd be hearing more ghetto references.
Yeah people aren't really talking about that situation at all. It was as bizarre as it gets and quite honestly probably should have been considered attempted murder. I don't hear people saying how dangerous McLean is now.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:01 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,115,714 times
Of course, the fact that several individuals who apparently also live in Woodbridge have been arrested in connection with the murder of the Woodbridge teenager, and that it was apparently drug-related, tends to differentiate that situation from a situation involving a work-related assault of a McLean couple by two individuals who lived in Springfield, one of whom worked with the male victim at an Arlington law firm.

Drug-related violence is perceived as more common than work-related violence, and the assailants did not live in McLean. People are going to worry more about their kids getting caught up in drug-related violence than the possibility that a workplace dispute will lead to a home invasion by a disgruntled lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia