Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 06:30 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,033,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Besides the top of your head what's your point? No one said crime does not happen but we certainly are not in a crime ridden neighborhood. Unless of course you consider the many hit and runs committed here on C-D.
Finally someone that gets this thread. People are coming in here posting or talking about crime that has happened and yet I never said crime does not happen in NoVA. I don't know if people don't read or they just want to change the conversation, but no one is trying to suggest that crime doesn't happen here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 07:43 AM

15,473 posts, read 25,936,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Finally someone that gets this thread. People are coming in here posting or talking about crime that has happened and yet I never said crime does not happen in NoVA. I don't know if people don't read or they just want to change the conversation, but no one is trying to suggest that crime doesn't happen here.
I still don't get the use of "spoiled" in your title. Crime spoils, lack of crime doesn't.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I still don't get the use of "spoiled" in your title. Crime spoils, lack of crime doesn't.
Why don't you think lack of crime spoils? People don't appreciate how low their crime rate actually is. They equate it to places where there is high crime, thus diminishing the value of having a lower crime rate.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:50 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,547,926 times
Having lived in the deep south for so many years, people here definitely take it for granted.

If a lot of the sheltered people in Fairfax County lived in Durham, NC or Columbia, SC, they would spend thousands of dollars for security alarms, a fence, etc.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:21 PM

15,473 posts, read 25,936,777 times
Quote:
Why don't you think lack of crime spoils? People don't appreciate how low their crime rate actually is. They equate it to places where there is high crime, thus diminishing the value of having a lower crime rate.
If we had a higher crime rate, this place would suck. A lower crime rate means it doesn't.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:00 AM

274 posts, read 240,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post

My take on his term spoiled is he means Hypersensitive given that it is infrequent and generally property crimes and Domestic Violence.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:01 AM

274 posts, read 240,590 times
Quote:
It certainly is a blessing to live in a region where, for the most part, you do not have to worry about your life every time you walk out the door. But since my time moving to VA, I have noticed just an almost arrogant attitude when it comes to crime that actually happens. Prime example, yesterday, there was a robbery attempt at the Walmart in Woodbridge near Potomac Mills.

Almost all the comments are talking about Hoodbridge, Hoodbridge, Hoodbridge or how bad this area has gotten. I have noticed a similar attitude with Fairfax County as well. Okay let me just say, I am not in anyway advocating that we should be okay with crime, because we shouldn't, but if they worst thing that happens in your area is a man hitting a hammer on a jewelry case, or kids tagging a stop sign, or a bunch of kids having a food fight in a cafeteria is it really THAT bad?

I mean I think a lot of the people making these comments just lack perspective. This is a densely populated area. Any place that has a lot of people living in it, is bound to see some type of crime, but from what I have seen most of the crime here, has been very rarely serious. I just moved from a county a couple of years ago that had 96 murders the year I moved. Now Prince William County has 4 murders this year and I am supposed to believe, that I live in the 'hood'? People who have actually grown up in bad areas are more than likely sitting back and laughing at the nonsense people say and the ridiculous overreaction that happens every time something minor happens in Northern VA.

This is a prime example of why people should never ask someone how safe a place is. Safety is honestly in the eye of the beholder. Your perspective of safe is going to be largely influenced by where you have previously lived. Thoughts?
I live in Dale City [22193] which is a Woodbridge Postal Address. When I first moved to VA back in 1999 I lived in Oakton, VA about a block from the NRA Headquarters. How much safer could it get? I moved to VA from Broward County Florida [Think Fort Lauderdale Area]. I remember even back in 1999 people in Fairfax said the "hood" is Dale City. Never go to Dale City it is very sketchy. I agree Dale City is a little rough in some parts. Not what I would term "the Hood" though.

You want to experience the Hood next time you go to Florida visit Broward County Particularly the neighborhoods just a block or two east or west of I-95. Check out Lauderhill, East Sunrise, East Holywood, Miramar, Deerfield Beach, Pompano Beach, North Lauderdale, Eastern part of Davie or Oakland Park. There is a good reason other than the Weather Cops filmed the most episodes in Broward County FL than any other U.S. City. There are good reasons the TV show the First 48 Films allot in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami Metro Area. We have Police Woman of Broward County, Unleashed: K-9 Broward County etc. Youtube Search Broward County Hoods. According to City Data Fairfax, VA had an overall crime rating of 99.2 in 2012 Fort Lauderdale had a crime index of 495 in 2012.

I am certain many member who moved to NoVA from Detroit, LA, NYC, Chicago etc. etc. etc. Could make similar comparisons. So Yes I live in Dale City Va and I can say with a straight face this place is not Paradise but fortunately it is nowhere near "the Wild West" of most Metropolitan Areas. The Schools are 1000% better than Florida Public Schools.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:27 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,514,640 times
Quote:
lack
lak/
noun
noun: lack; plural noun: lacks
  1. 1.
    the state of being without or not having enough of something.

verb

1. be without or deficient in.

From the title it could mean totally without or not enough of.

Do you think there is not enough crime? You think NOVA needs more crime? Do you think the world needs more crime? Are you dismayed by woman and children not getting raped enough?

The thread title is very trolling. Crime is not something that people should be spoiled by not having, crime is something people should expect not to have.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:21 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,302,104 times
Seriously?

Old 12-31-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
lack
lak/
noun
noun: lack; plural noun: lacks
  1. 1.
    the state of being without or not having enough of something.

verb

1. be without or deficient in.

From the title it could mean totally without or not enough of.

Do you think there is not enough crime? You think NOVA needs more crime? Do you think the world needs more crime? Are you dismayed by woman and children not getting raped enough?

The thread title is very trolling. Crime is not something that people should be spoiled by not having, crime is something people should expect not to have.
Bored?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia