Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 05:24 PM

601 posts, read 594,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplingif View Post
Any idea how long the airport to Metro Center would be?
With stop, after stop, after stop, it will probably feel like a pretty long trip. But at least you won't have to transfer train lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 06:08 PM

294 posts, read 373,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
With stop, after stop, after stop, it will probably feel like a pretty long trip. But at least you won't have to transfer train lines.
Trip Planner says it is 41 minutes from Wiehle-Reston to Metro Center. I've no idea how much further it would be to the airport.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:36 AM

989 posts, read 2,860,745 times
I used to have to go to NE DC from Ashburn for work every so often. When the metro opened I seriously considered taking it from Wiehle to NoMa but the trip on the metro, without taking into consideration driving to the metro, parking, walking to the train, waiting for the train, was 56 minutes. I can drive to that area in about 50 minutes from Ashburn if I time it right. It was such a tremendously bad decision not to build an express line into the plans. No one I know is going to waste so much extra time each day to bother with it.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:49 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,326,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
No one I know is going to waste so much extra time each day to bother with it.
Thousands of people do. It's just that for your particular trip it didnt make sense; and that's ok. Metro can't serve every one, if it did, it would be 50 times more expensive, and people would still complain. Express trains are great, but SV could only have expressed to EFC. After that, it would be stuck on the same 2 tracks that the rest of the metro has, and the extra cost would have added nearly 2 billion dollars to the project just for the stations between EFC and Dulles. I don't recall a lot of people stepping up and saying, lets spend an extra 2 billion dollars; in fact I remember a lot of people pennywise poundfoolishly cutting even basic elements like tunneling in Tysons, and an airport terminal station without exterior exit.

BTW, if you can make it from Ashburn to NE DC in 50 minutes, more power to you, you must be getting up at 3am because last I heard people complain and complain and complain that it can take upwards of 45 minutes just from Ashburn to Tysons... and I sure as heck can't get to NOMA from Tysons in 5 minutes even if I had a jetpack.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:19 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,540,764 times
Quote:
Any idea how long the airport to Metro Center would be?
It would be about 50 minutes. In the outer suburbs, Metro trains go up to 65/70 MPH because the stations are so far apart which means its roughly a minute a mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Thousands of people do. It's just that for your particular trip it didnt make sense; and that's ok. Metro can't serve every one, if it did, it would be 50 times more expensive, and people would still complain. Express trains are great, but SV could only have expressed to EFC. After that, it would be stuck on the same 2 tracks that the rest of the metro has, and the extra cost would have added nearly 2 billion dollars to the project just for the stations between EFC and Dulles. I don't recall a lot of people stepping up and saying, lets spend an extra 2 billion dollars; in fact I remember a lot of people pennywise poundfoolishly cutting even basic elements like tunneling in Tysons, and an airport terminal station without exterior exit.
I wonder how many more people would drive instead of take the Silver Line if the Dulles Toll Road weren't a toll road. It just struck me the other day about how people in Reston are in a unique situation because obviously 66 and 395 aren't toll roads and people in Vienna and Springfield, for example, don't have that same decision to make. I'm sure it's in the hundreds if not thousands.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:37 AM

15,448 posts, read 25,894,788 times
I'm used to long Metro rides, having lived in Gaithersburg for 7 years, and using the Red Line from Shady Grove to various stops. One in particular was Shady Grove to Noma area. To drive took fro 35 minutes on the best day, to 2+ hours on the worst days. Average was about 100 minutes during commute times. Taking a bus to Metro always took exactly 90 minutes (including bus and walking time) It was the same every time. I have no doubt that, when it finally opens to Ashburn, that the story will be similar, just with longer times. I quite preferred the consistency of Metro over driving. It's not for everyone, as another poster said.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:24 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,661,627 times
Quote:
Trip Planner says it is 41 minutes from Wiehle-Reston to Metro Center. I've no idea how much further it would be to the airport.
It also says 21 minutes from Wiehle-Reston to East Falls Church. Mileage and number of stops between Wiehle and Dulles will be comparable to but perhaps a little less than that, so it will likely be in the neighborhood of 35 minutes from Dulles to Tysons and just about an hour from Dulles to Metro Center.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:38 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,661,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
I used to have to go to NE DC from Ashburn for work every so often. When the metro opened I seriously considered taking it from Wiehle to NoMa but the trip on the metro, without taking into consideration driving to the metro, parking, walking to the train, waiting for the train, was 56 minutes. I can drive to that area in about 50 minutes from Ashburn if I time it right. It was such a tremendously bad decision not to build an express line into the plans. No one I know is going to waste so much extra time each day to bother with it.
From what I've experienced, Ashburn is way outside the line that sensible people draw and refuse to live beyond if they have to go into the District on any sort of regular basis during the week. Living in Ashburn and working a 9-5 job in DC are things that are currently incompatible with each other, and they will be still even after Phase-2 is opened. No person valuing his or her sanity should try to do both.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:50 AM

66 posts, read 100,970 times
Silver Line phase 2: now arriving in 2020

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...iving-in-2020/

As my neighbors said, don't expect it until 2030...

Old 11-04-2015, 01:24 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,524,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
From what I've experienced, Ashburn is way outside the line that sensible people draw and refuse to live beyond if they have to go into the District on any sort of regular basis during the week. Living in Ashburn and working a 9-5 job in DC are things that are currently incompatible with each other, and they will be still even after Phase-2 is opened. No person valuing his or her sanity should try to do both.
It's doable if you work off hours or have a SAH wife who can accept that you'll be commuting a long distance. Even then, most wives who like their husbands will eventually raise a complaint.

EDIT: seems you pointed out that off hours works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia