Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2014, 09:29 PM

5 posts, read 20,606 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I am from the Lake Ridge area of Woodbridge and grew up here my whole life! My parents still live in Lake Ridge, and while my husband LOVES Lake Ridge, I prefer the newer homes in the Queensdale part of Dale City (5429 Quinn Ln Woodbridge 22193 for example). I am fine not having an HOA/pool because we can always use my parents and friends pools which would only be a 10 minute drive. Plus, if you're not spending money on HOA it's really no problem to go to a rec center like the Chinn Center. Also, we will probably be living in this house for the next 20-30 years. If we were going to rent it out in the near future, I might be more concerned about schools and HOA because it would be more likely to rent. But that probably isn't the case. My husband works close to Lake Ridge and close to this particular area of Dale City, so commuting won't be a problem.

We're not too worried about the schools because we'll be sending our kids to private Catholic schools. Dale City is further away from Holy Family Catholic School and Our Lady of Angels but not by much. I think it's worth the sacrifice. Is anyone familiar with these schools by the way?

My husband is leaning more toward Lake Ridge, I absolutely love Queensdale and the newer homes. Would anyone be worried about living in Queensdale? If you'd rather live in Lake ridge, why? Also does anyone know if Sonnie Penn Elementary, Beville Middle, and Osbourne Park high school are good schools?

I'd truly appreciate any help. We're expecting a baby next year and hope to have a big family. Just want to make the right decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 12:42 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,269,024 times
When I retired in 09 from PWCPD the Queensdale area was quiet and a nice area compared to the opposite end of Dale City. I still live fairly close to the area and don't hear anything negative in the media or from my friends still working for the PD about the area. Like any area, including Lake Ridge, there will be the lousy neighbors and the quality of life crime issues once in a while but I doubt this section of Dale City will slide downhill to a crime ridden area.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:35 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,118,607 times
The lake ridge HOA fees for SFHs are about $50/month and that includes garbage and recycle pickup twice a week. You already know about the pools, etc but garbage pickup alone is at least half that cost. If all things are equal, guessing you won't be going to Lake Ridge.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:59 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,688,846 times
It's an okay area (Queensdale). I considered buying there back in 1994 when it was brand new but ended up not doing so because that part of Dale City is just too far from I95 access. The only negative side I can think of is that it's just a tad close to some of the more negative areas there. Not that there's a lot of crime, etc., but some of those neighborhoods have really become eyesores and this is where an HOA only helps you. Dale City is an example of what happens when there is no control. I fear for you that way on down the road when your pristine Queensdale neighborhood is totally aged out, you will have resale problems due to things not be standardized and kept up. Drive through the older neighborhoods and you will see what I mean. It will happen there also.

Both of my kids attended the Catholic schools in Woodbridge. One started out at Holy Family but we moved her to Aquinas later. They are fine schools. I can't say that academically they are superior to some of the good public schools in PWC, because in many aspects they are not, but you will get ZERO trouble in those schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia