Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 06:26 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,327,882 times

Advertisements

What

Users guide to new express lanes on 95
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 07:31 AM

349 posts, read 1,434,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
All the hot lanes did was move the south bound evening bottle neck down to the Garrisonville exit!
Yes, but this will help the northern part of S/B I-95 around Lorton and Woodbridge since the bottleneck is 10 miles further south now.

I believe there's a phase 2 plan to extend the lanes past Fredericksburg, but no build timeline.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:00 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,435,440 times
These are the same lanes that used to be completely free during off hours like the weekends right? So you can't take the HOV down to like Potomac Mills without paying some sort of toll.

Seems like it may actually increase congestion on the main highway. It's not like more people will start using lanes now that they cost money vs. when they were free.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:11 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
These are the same lanes that used to be completely free during off hours like the weekends right? So you can't take the HOV down to like Potomac Mills without paying some sort of toll.

Seems like it may actually increase congestion on the main highway. It's not like more people will start using lanes now that they cost money vs. when they were free.
This is how I feel too.

Yesterday I was bored and thinking too much about the HOT lanes and I couldn't help but feel a little testy about it.

Now, I may have my facts wrong; but, these HOV lanes (at least down to Woodbridge) that we've had for YEARS, which were paid for with tax payer money in some form have been taken over by a private company and now I've got to pay to ride them. That just sort of pisses me off.

I understood the HOT lanes project on the beltway. We got 4 new brand spankin' new lanes and it was decided that a private company would front that bill and the roads would be paid for with tolls.

On much of I-95, those lanes were there, have been there, and were paid for over the years. Now, they are no longer free. Up through Dumfries, we are losing the use of 2 lanes of traffic outside regular HOV hours. I can't imagine how this is going to better for anyone but those with lots of money to throw away.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:48 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekchampion04 View Post
If you read my post, I also said that the HOV rules will remain in place, but there will be no tolls (free). Easier to put "free" in the title than that explanation.
Ah but people like to see free and disregard everything else. Look for state police pulling dozens over in the next couple weeks during hov hours. We already see many more solo drivers thinking either the tolls have already started or they have an excuse if they get pulled over.

How many people will mount their EZ pass incorrectly?https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...YGZliFV00cr3IA

Old 12-14-2014, 12:52 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,757,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
This is how I feel too.

Yesterday I was bored and thinking too much about the HOT lanes and I couldn't help but feel a little testy about it.

Now, I may have my facts wrong; but, these HOV lanes (at least down to Woodbridge) that we've had for YEARS, which were paid for with tax payer money in some form have been taken over by a private company and now I've got to pay to ride them. That just sort of pisses me off.

I understood the HOT lanes project on the beltway. We got 4 new brand spankin' new lanes and it was decided that a private company would front that bill and the roads would be paid for with tolls.

On much of I-95, those lanes were there, have been there, and were paid for over the years. Now, they are no longer free. Up through Dumfries, we are losing the use of 2 lanes of traffic outside regular HOV hours. I can't imagine how this is going to better for anyone but those with lots of money to throw away.

I honestly think sometime in the future when we see the real impact of "taking away" the 2 lanes that there will be a lawsuit. I was reading about the US Dept of Transportation tipping their hats off to HOT lanes projects but only if states were adding to capacity, like the 495 lanes. This is not the case for the 95 lanes other than a nine mile extension & one extra lane in fairfax county.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:01 PM

588 posts, read 1,442,997 times
I haven't read the articles, AND I rarely take 95 anywhere, so this might be a stupid question, but there will still be regular, free lanes on 95, correct?

It won't be like 66 inside the Beltway, where the entire road is HOV during rush hour, will it?

Old 12-14-2014, 06:12 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,145,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
I haven't read the articles, AND I rarely take 95 anywhere, so this might be a stupid question, but there will still be regular, free lanes on 95, correct?

It won't be like 66 inside the Beltway, where the entire road is HOV during rush hour, will it?
Regular I95 will remain free. This whole thread is only related to the lanes in the middle separated by Jersey barriers.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:41 PM

588 posts, read 1,442,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Regular I95 will remain free. This whole thread is only related to the lanes in the middle separated by Jersey barriers.
Thanks! Just wanted to verify. I suppose I COULD read the articles.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:27 PM

3,308 posts, read 9,404,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I honestly think sometime in the future when we see the real impact of "taking away" the 2 lanes that there will be a lawsuit. I was reading about the US Dept of Transportation tipping their hats off to HOT lanes projects but only if states were adding to capacity, like the 495 lanes. This is not the case for the 95 lanes other than a nine mile extension & one extra lane in fairfax county.
But an extra lane IS added capacity. That's why there was no problem with this from a Federal standpoint. If this were ONLY tolling existing lanes, it wouldn't fly. Pennsylvania tried that with I-80 and it was a non-starter.

I don't see what the basis of any lawsuit would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia