Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 05:15 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,699,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
But an extra lane IS added capacity. That's why there was no problem with this from a Federal standpoint. If this were ONLY tolling existing lanes, it wouldn't fly. Pennsylvania tried that with I-80 and it was a non-starter.

I don't see what the basis of any lawsuit would be.
There are areas where a full lane does not appear to be added (it's 100% dark when I travel so not sure) and there are areas where it appears that full lengths of lane were added however they seem to be there for the sole purpose of exit/entry onto one of the new exits.

And, for arguments sake, lets say a full lane was added to the old lanes, you still have two lanes that were paid for by taxpayers that have been used for at least 20 years outside of the HOV hours by anyone who wanted to use them. How does adding one new lane to existing HOV lanes allow the state to turn our roads over to Transurban? A legal loophole, I'm guessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 06:50 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,541,167 times
It's amazing that the 495 HOT lanes are only 1 year old and we've already put them on 95 and now apparently they're coming to 66 inside and outside the beltway: Virginia to study HOT lanes inside the Beltway - The Washington Post. Doesn't seem like much time to study their effectiveness.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:21 AM

359 posts, read 477,915 times
Its working for the politicians that get kickbacks from the private companies!

Old 12-15-2014, 01:58 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,756,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
But an extra lane IS added capacity. That's why there was no problem with this from a Federal standpoint. If this were ONLY tolling existing lanes, it wouldn't fly. Pennsylvania tried that with I-80 and it was a non-starter.

I don't see what the basis of any lawsuit would be.
I see what you are saying but there can be an argument made that some capacity was taken away. Lanes that were free & available outside of rush hour can no longer be used.

Although the lanes were extended to Stafford & widened above the Prince William parkway, nothing was done to the section from the parkway to 234. That could be an argument used.

I guess we will have to wait & see what happens..

Old 12-16-2014, 09:25 AM

2,268 posts, read 3,731,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
The only reason I really care at all is its one more project they're wrapping up on 95/395 so hopefully there will be some relief from construction traffic.

And yes, it's not hard to see that there's going to be mass confusion. The average person is a moron and they'll be clueless what to do at Edsall Road. And you can just look at what happened on 495 Hot Lanes day 1.
Yeah, but part of that can be blamed on idiot drivers. Ignoring the lanes for a moment, backing up on a major highway is a bad idea no matter what the reason. Too bad people didn't lose their licenses for that, if you're dumb enough to do it, you've got no business driving (my opinion, of course).

Old 12-16-2014, 09:27 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,505,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekchampion04 View Post
Its working for the politicians that get kickbacks from the private companies!
Exactly. This is a great scheme. This is a transfer of wealth that seems to have no oversight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia