Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 08:56 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,438,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 314Pie View Post
and why would a buyer's agent do this?
it's a hot market out there right now, no?
It is a niche service of sorts. 6% agent fees are really a relic of the past considering the amount of time that can be saved with the internet and buyers doing their own research. However, the problem still remains that realtors don't get paid until they close. This means they make $0 on anyone they show homes to that doesn't buy. I'm sure for some realtors the "tire kickers" are a huge pain in their side.

So some realtors remove them from the equation by requiring buyers to find their own places and get preapproval. In return, they offer a rebate of their fees. While it is still possible that person may not buy something quickly, people that are preapproved are a lot further along in the process and should have no issues securing their mortgage loan. They don't waste time showing homes their buyers may not even like.

There are also realtors that may offer a rebate with no restrictions as a way of getting more business or clients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 08:32 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,880,679 times
I don't think these places are selective and a lot of inexperienced agents and part-timers use them.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:17 PM

271 posts, read 448,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
I don't think these places are selective and a lot of inexperienced agents and part-timers use them.
This was not true at all for us using I-Agent. Our Agent "Wade" was great with all the tangible experience necessary on top of being certified distressed property expert etc. etc. In fact we still keep in touch through social media, Christmas cards and the like.

Best of all, the 2% certified check that we received post closing.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:12 PM

318 posts, read 369,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_In_NOVA View Post
This was not true at all for us using I-Agent. Our Agent "Wade" was great with all the tangible experience necessary on top of being certified distressed property expert etc. etc. In fact we still keep in touch through social media, Christmas cards and the like.

Best of all, the 2% certified check that we received post closing.
I have also used wade with a very positive experience. I believe he is an IT graduate and his tech saviness throughout the process really assisted us with counter offers, docusign etc... . The 2% back at the end was the icing on the cake.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:49 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,907,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
in the case of the office mentioned throughout this thread, it doesn't seem to be the case.. Small roster, but can't confirm part time/full time status

*Disclaimer.. I do not work for the company mentioned in this thread, just trying to provide info.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:00 AM

7 posts, read 7,170 times
You can just put in an offer that is 3% below the price without using a realtor. That should result in the same net profit to the seller, unless they have in their listing clause that the listing broker keeps the 3% if there is no listing agent.

If you really like the house, offer the listing agent $1,000 to write your offer. Some will do this and it's basically equal to them selling the house for $33k more. Also, they'll push the buyer to accept your offer because there's more in it for them. They're not supposed to do this, but I know people who have employed this tactic to win bidding wars without being the highest bidder.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:40 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,157,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knock View Post
You can just put in an offer that is 3% below the price without using a realtor. That should result in the same net profit to the seller, unless they have in their listing clause that the listing broker keeps the 3% if there is no listing agent.

If you really like the house, offer the listing agent $1,000 to write your offer. Some will do this and it's basically equal to them selling the house for $33k more. Also, they'll push the buyer to accept your offer because there's more in it for them. They're not supposed to do this, but I know people who have employed this tactic to win bidding wars without being the highest bidder.
There are some holes in that plan. First is disclosure to the sellers (legally) that indicates the agent is now working both parties. Second is the "3% less". Nobody knows what the exact market price is that will be accepted then know where that 3% will bring the eventually agreed price. Finally, during the inspection, repairs, title concerns, insurance, etc is where agents also earn their money. Once a contract is accepted, the the real effort begins.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:08 PM

7 posts, read 7,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
There are some holes in that plan. First is disclosure to the sellers (legally) that indicates the agent is now working both parties. Second is the "3% less". Nobody knows what the exact market price is that will be accepted then know where that 3% will bring the eventually agreed price. Finally, during the inspection, repairs, title concerns, insurance, etc is where agents also earn their money. Once a contract is accepted, the the real effort begins.
re: disclosure: That one is easy. And if the seller is getting their asking price anyway the agent will simply show them the math that it doesn't matter.

re: 3%: That's generally enough wiggle room to get people together to make the deal

re: inspection, repairs, title concerns, insurance: Real estate agents don't do any of this work. Other companies do. Real estate agents may even recommend bad companies for which they receive kickbacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia