Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 02:20 PM

6 posts, read 73,061 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to the Herndon area and are looking at both townhomes and single family homes. Some of the places we look list the average utility costs at arounds $100 per month. This seems awful low to me. Is that realistic? My bill in SW VA in an old, large home can hit $800/ month in the winter, which is a lot, but still! My average is only $300 a month. Can anyone give me a more realistic idea of what to expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 04:04 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,711,921 times
It all depends on your habits of using electricity/water/gas, etc but I would say 100 is a tad low. Maybe 150 or so to 200 sounds more accurate for this area. I am also from SW VA and one thing I noticed about the DC area is that it definitely is not as cold as it was back in the mountains. Of course, the saved utility bill is replaced by the price for gas...but that's another story

Old 01-11-2008, 10:54 AM

Thanks! It still seems strange to be that low....I figure the summers are hotter and the winters are colder (I'm east of the mountains, pretty warm in the wintr here for the most part!) so I thought those numbers had to be way off! I guess not. I can definately deal with cutting my utility bill in half, makes up for a few of the higher living expenses.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:17 PM

504 posts, read 1,206,471 times
Good windows, doors and insulation can help as well. Take that into consideration when you do house hunting.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:15 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,824,667 times
Also, if your townhouse has a unit on either side and behind it, your bills will be lower because there is less exposure. (But, adjoining walls can be a problem if you have noisy neighbors.)

My worst bill in the winter is usually about $250. It went up to $320 a few years back when we had really cold days and a lot of snow. I live in a mid-sized McMansion, but it was built with an energy efficient design and newer materials.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:19 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,824,667 times
I forgot to note: avoid tall foyers if you want lower utility bills. Those dramatic two-story rooms will run up your totals. A southern exposure can make a real difference.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:28 AM

Yeah, I know about those tall ceilings. Our current house has 10 foot ceilings, and no insulation. We only heat our bedrooms at night, (good electric radiators!) and let the rest of the house drop to 62 degrees to keep out bills lower. Those automatic thermostats make a huge difference as well, dropping the temp when no one is home during the day. With all that and new, really good windows, we still have really high bills.

Needless to say, the granduer of a historic home is lost in the reality! I will never be stupid enough to buy a home like this again, believe me! This home was built in 1917, radiator heat, etc. I can't wait to have realistic heat bills!

Old 01-12-2008, 10:53 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,592,980 times
My elec/gas bill ranges from $150 to over $300 total each month. I keep it cool in the summer and even cooler in the winter (low 60s!) I have a year old 3800 sq ft home. I've relied more on my gas fireplace and a space heater this year.

Make a note of what direction the main living area faces for sunlight. I still say it's cheaper to cool a house down in the summer than to heat it up in the winter. Both of my last houses have faced north, with the main living areas getting south & west sun.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:34 AM

I agree about the sunlight! Our home gets full sun all afternoon in the back by our living areas - makes it hell in the summer, but really helps in the winter! Definately something to pay attention to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia