Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 05:23 PM

336 posts, read 591,589 times

Advertisements

I am preparing to rent out my townhouse in Sterling (20165). I have been thinking about using a real estate service company instead of doing it myself. Would anyone have a recommendation on such company? And how much do these companies typically charge? I have heard 10% of rent. Is that correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 07:33 PM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panu16 View Post
I am preparing to rent out my townhouse in Sterling (20165). I have been thinking about using a real estate service company instead of doing it myself. Would anyone have a recommendation on such company? And how much do these companies typically charge? I have heard 10% of rent. Is that correct?
Are you referring to a Property Management company to manage the property during the term of the lease or a service just to find a renter? We use McGrath Real Estate for both services. We pay 9% (I think - it's my husband's bill to pay) for the month to month management and one month's rent for the finding and processing of a new tenant.

We are very happy with our service and think the value is well worth the cost.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:51 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
I've always thought one months rent was steep for finding a renter, especially when you're talking about a townhouse or house in the $2500+ range. A relative of mine is a realtor and charges that to place renters. All that entails is posting an ad online and then running background checks, and having them sign a rental agreement right? The 9% seems very reasonable for management.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:22 PM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
All that entails is posting an ad online and then running background checks, and having them sign a rental agreement right? The 9% seems very reasonable for management.
It entails the time spent touring people though the house. You could have 20 differnt people tour the house and five or so separate applications.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:18 AM

531 posts, read 1,428,214 times
You can do it yourself.

If you have a lot of properties, maybe it's worth hiring a property management company. Otherwise, economically, it won't be worth it. Also, who will have the best interest in finding you a great tenant? Yourself.

I checked out a property management company based on the recommendations obtained in this forum a few years ago. The person I talked with clearly had no interest talking with me. If he's not even interested in selling his business, I wonder how much more devoted he'd be in finding a good tenant for me.

I used Craigslist just like my realtor friend did with her own rental properties. She uses Craig's List all the time to save the one month rent she has to pay to the renter's agent if going through MLS. I received a few applications and found a great tenant. For house touring, I scheduled the applicants in groups in one single afternoon with 30 minutes between each family. You can check a person's credit score/background using specialized website and contact the tenant's previous landlord or employer yourself.

There are rental agreement templates you can buy or download for free to draw up the contract.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:24 PM

247 posts, read 510,773 times
Do not, under any circumstances, use Weichert Property Management (esp. the one in Fairfax). Their operation is an utter trainwreck!

Old 03-12-2015, 01:56 PM

336 posts, read 591,589 times
Thanks for the replies. I have already posted my house to rent online. One prospective renter said that she prefers renting through a property management company. She was talking about a two year lease so it could be worth it if I can negotiate with the company to forego the one month rent since I found the renter. I have four people coming to see the (empty) house this weekend. Will see how all of this workout.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:05 PM

601 posts, read 592,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panu16 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have already posted my house to rent online. One prospective renter said that she prefers renting through a property management company. She was talking about a two year lease so it could be worth it if I can negotiate with the company to forego the one month rent since I found the renter. I have four people coming to see the (empty) house this weekend. Will see how all of this workout.
That prospective renter sounds difficult already, and hasn't even signed a lease.

Personally, I've had not great experiences with a handful of my landlords - property management companies were no exception. They dragged their feet fixing things just as much as individual landlords did. I had ONE good experience with a property management company that bought houses, and rented them out.

I once rented from a guy who lived overseas, and used a property management company to deal with finding tenants/repairs/anything else. That was a nightmare, as they had to run everything by him and he was rarely available.

I'm happily paying a mortgage now, and just knowing that I won't have a landlord who will drag their feet when the water heater breaks beyond repair (yes, I've had this happen) is worth a lot to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: