Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 08:11 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,428,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrice View Post
One week till the public school registration, and we're still trying to decide whether to put our son in Kindergarten or 1st grade in the Fall! He's attending private kindergarten now because he missed the cutoff date for public kindergarten by 2.5 months (December birthday). Anyone has kids in similar situation (now or in the past)? What did you decide and are you happy with your decision? On one hand we're worried that if he repeats kindergarten next year, he'd be bored the entire time. Plus we're in Loudoun County so it's only half-day. On the other hand, we're worried about potential bullying issue later on due to his age/size, and of course academic/emotional/social readiness. His teacher seems to think that he is doing OK and should be ready for the 1st grade. But still, I wonder if it's the best thing for the kid. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!
Put him in Kindergarten. There is no rush to education. Boys do better socially & academically when 'later starters' and there have been MANY studies done on this. I'd rather see him excel and taking AP courses down the road than floundering and not able to read in the 8th grade. It happens...a LOT...esp IF you are not involved in the schools and homework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 3,128 times
Thank you again for the helpful feedback.

We contacted the principal and got a reply yesterday. The principal said they can definitely help evaluate if we have doubt about placement, but suggested that in the mean time, we register for kindergarten. This way my son has a spot if that's where he ends up going. I think at this point, after gathering everyone's feedback and considering our son's maturity level, we feel more comfortable putting him in kindergarten rather than first grade. I feel more at ease now after making this decision. Thanks again!

Old 03-12-2015, 11:01 AM

531 posts, read 1,430,108 times
Put him in K. He won't learn much academically in Loudoun's K. But academics is not the only thing young kids learn in school. Social interactions, leadership are also important. Being younger than others will put him in the lower half, if not at the bottom, for many of the soft skills.

My son entered K with enough reading/math skills for 1st grade. But he's socially immature being the younger one in his class. Actually, most boys are behind most girls socially at this age. I can't imagine putting him in the 1st grade.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:28 AM

52 posts, read 92,521 times
Put him in 1st grade. If it turns out to be a mistake, you can always hold him back later. You can't the same thing if you put him in Kindergarten and that turns out to be a mistake.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:45 AM

9,884 posts, read 14,154,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doetwin View Post
Put him in 1st grade. If it turns out to be a mistake, you can always hold him back later. You can't the same thing if you put him in Kindergarten and that turns out to be a mistake.
That's not true. I know many children that ended up skipping a grade. And the general views associated with skipping a grade involves "smart, focused, gifted"; while the stigma involved with being held back is the opposite.

(I am not saying that is true about everyone who is held back; just pointing out the stigma associated.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: