Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 08:51 AM

134 posts, read 177,770 times

Advertisements

I am a CT teacher (ESL and reading), need to get out of CT for a fresh start. I lived in DC for most of the 90s and early 2000s and would love to return to the area. I know things have gotten crazy expensive, but is there anyplace in NOVA that is reasonably inexpensive yet not in farm country? I'm applying to most districts in NOVA. Probably can't afford anything inside the beltway, but I also don't want to be super far from civilization! I already have a long commute in CT, and trust me, I-95 in the NYC area will make you cry as much as the beltway. Ideally, I would like to be in a place where I could walk to a grocery store or CVS...I hate always having to drive to the store. I would be renting, can't afford to buy. My limit would be $1800. See, told you I was crazy! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 09:01 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,234,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tf2014 View Post
I am a CT teacher (ESL and reading), need to get out of CT for a fresh start. I lived in DC for most of the 90s and early 2000s and would love to return to the area. I know things have gotten crazy expensive, but is there anyplace in NOVA that is reasonably inexpensive yet not in farm country? I'm applying to most districts in NOVA. Probably can't afford anything inside the beltway, but I also don't want to be super far from civilization! I already have a long commute in CT, and trust me, I-95 in the NYC area will make you cry as much as the beltway. Ideally, I would like to be in a place where I could walk to a grocery store or CVS...I hate always having to drive to the store. I would be renting, can't afford to buy. My limit would be $1800. See, told you I was crazy! Thanks in advance!
$1800 is not an awful budget. Find a job, and then find a place to live close to it to minimize commuting costs.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:12 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,549,022 times
For a 1 bedroom?

$1800 for a 1 bedroom in DC is a pretty healthy budget. You can afford to live almost anywhere in NOVA, even an apartment off of Wilson Boulevard and be able to walk everywhere.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:13 AM

2,683 posts, read 2,193,436 times
You can pick up an "Apartments for Rent" book (or similar title) from newspaper boxes at many metro stations, as well as look in the usual internet sites. $1800 is enough for a place inside the beltway in VA. if you don't need to be in a top drawer luxury building. Try looking around the Braddock Road Metro area in Alexandria -- walking distance to Old Town, the subway, and all the things you are looking for.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:20 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,251,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
$1800 is not an awful budget. Find a job, and then find a place to live close to it to minimize commuting costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
For a 1 bedroom?

$1800 for a 1 bedroom in DC is a pretty healthy budget. You can afford to live almost anywhere in NOVA, even an apartment off of Wilson Boulevard and be able to walk everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
You can pick up an "Apartments for Rent" book (or similar title) from newspaper boxes at many metro stations, as well as look in the usual internet sites. $1800 is enough for a place inside the beltway in VA. if you don't need to be in a top drawer luxury building. Try looking around the Braddock Road Metro area in Alexandria -- walking distance to Old Town, the subway, and all the things you are looking for.
Music to my ears, as I'm guessing it is for the OP, too. I'm willing to go a little bit higher, and out of paranoia have budgeted $2,000, but if $1,800 is a reasonable expectation for what the OP has described, woo-hoo!

Old 03-17-2015, 11:47 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,363,580 times
Well find a job first and go from there. Also, maybe living in DC is an option? Your budget is good enough or do you want to live in the suburbs strictly?

Old 03-17-2015, 04:17 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,375,372 times
Definitely get the job (shouldn't be too tough with ESL and reading certifications) and then the place to live.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: