Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 02:31 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,886 times

Advertisements

im talking about housing, commute times, traffic, schools, pay. I would think by now our entire area would have a stigma like that of NYC and LA. traffic sucks, housing is expensive. those are things everyone knows about LA and NYC yet here in the dc metro area...no. granted our entire region consists of suburbs of VA and MD and a small dinky (and in my opinion a crappy city) District.

its like a friend of mine who wants a upper west side housing in NY for a harlem priced complex, but have a commute of 15 mins via car(not train) into the financial district. im pretty sure most who are moving to NYC would know that theres no way in blue or red hell that is possible. Same can be said about L.A so why is it that our region is so...beh?

I guess im just a tad bitter at these folks who want/plan to move here and expect to get a 4 acre plot with 7 bedroom witin a 30 min commute into the city, Crystal city, Arlington or Rockville for under $200k and then become shocked/bitter when folks tell them there's no way they'll find a house like that.

how is it that we cant already have shouted to the world "HEY, this isn't middle of no where Wisconsin and this isn't LA or NYC crazy, but theres enough of the latter than the former so tough luck!"

and its not just families. lately I've noticed a trend of single folks who think making 20k a year is enough and balk at the concept of roommates because no way they'll find a $600 apartment (even though that what they paid back home )

for all the bad and good, im a born and raised VA/NOVA/DC metro guy and im just getting irked at the lack of basic knowledge about our area. I mean this area makes a top 10 list for worst of something yearly lol.

cant we get that tramp stamp on our lower back already America? we are more alike to NYC and LA than Memphis, Atlanta or middle of no where Wisconsin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 04:54 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,450,197 times
You forgot that the $200k house must also be in a top school district.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:22 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,247,500 times
You really believe people don't complain in NYC/LA?

Old 03-23-2015, 06:02 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
You really believe people don't complain in NYC/LA?
I don't think s/he's saying there's a difference in complaint levels. I think s/he's making a good point that so many people who have reason to know something about our COL etc., do not, but that it is widely known that NYC is expensive, etc.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:06 AM

754 posts, read 1,739,716 times
As someone who was born and raised in Brooklyn, there are ALOT of people who complain about NYC and many want and do move (matter of fact about half of my family has moved out and is living in FL now). In my personal opinion, I feel like aside from employment opportunities, most transients/transplants would not live in this area because it is like the worst of a large city (congestion, traffic, prices) and the worst of a suburb (lack of walkability, general charm, sprawl). NYC has ALOT to offer, is VERY walkable even in the burroughs, we had one car when we lived there, and yea we were all raised in apartments/brownstones but we spent way more time outdoors at parks than the kids in my neighborhood do here.

I also think that NYC and LA are globally known cities. D.C. is globally known but NoVA isn't. I lived in VA Beach for a few years before I moved here knew NOTHING about NoVA before moving here. I think most people imagine that if they aren't living *in* D.C. then the they expect "Virginia" prices, well.....big shock when you think $500K is a healthy budget and you can barely get a townhome in the best areas around here.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:24 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,498 times
Further to AnalyzeThis's point, I have wondered if it is because of the "Virginia" part. Seems like people just do not fully realize that whether you're in DC, the MD suburbs, or the VA suburbs, you are in the DC Metro. You don't magically cross the Potomac and enter the sunbelt. Of course, I don't think people in the NY area make this mistake with the NJ or CT suburbs. I think it may be, in part, because people currently associate southern states with affordability, and VA has traditionally been considered a solidly southern state despite the northern part no longer exhibiting those "southern" characteristics (as has been discussed elsewhere on his board).

Also, I think you have a lot of military and government transplants to this area who are coming from lower cost areas and have never even considered living in a city like LA or NY. They are often transferred to this area not so much by choice and just have never really thought that the cost of living could be what it is. Then, when they start loooking at housing, they are just completely shocked that so much money only buys so little compared to what they're used to in the more affordable parts of the country from where they've come.

I also agree with Bigfoot - complaints about housing, traffic, affordability, etc. is not exactly unique to the DC area. It's pretty much common in all large, metropolitan areas to one degree or another.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:54 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,429 times
Curious to know why you think DC is a crappy city?

Old 03-23-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Curious to know why you think DC is a crappy city?

aside from how terrible the layout of the city is? its like the French got the the final laugh at the US when they designed it. street A becomes street C and then street E before it returns to street A while passing a roundabout. its annoying.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:35 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
aside from how terrible the layout of the city is? its like the French got the the final laugh at the US when they designed it. street A becomes street C and then street E before it returns to street A while passing a roundabout. its annoying.

Sure, aside from that - since that kinda is what it is now

Old 03-23-2015, 01:38 PM

also, the Nova side of the dc metro has nothing to hoods like other cities one might come from. I cant talk about MD since I never lived there, but given the choices it seems most md folks moved to va to avoid traffic and higher taxes.

DC is quite small compared to L.A. and NYC. not only that, unless you're working for literally congress or something similar, most of the contract agencies are based out in VA or MD. Hell the Dulles corridor has been in the news for a decade+ about how its the new hot bed for IT since 2000. Loudon county is now growing for housing Tech firms and yet...blip of anything.

you could move google to dulles and hardly anyone would know what loudon county/nova is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: