U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:35 AM

96 posts, read 409,956 times

Advertisements

Hi-as some who have seen my postings before already know...I am trying to decide on where to reside...Maryland or Virgina...

My husband just started a new job in DC at DOJ office. We need to move by end of summer (from Philadelphia suburbs). I will be giving up my job and we therefore will be on 1 income of approx 125,000. We need to rent initally.

I want to find a place that we can AFFORD with excellent schools...I hear Howard County, Montgomery County-MD -AND-Fairfax County, VA are great schools...so then it comes down to affordablity and commute..

Can you guys help give me info about these 2 states....how to do houses, taxes, car insurances, etc compare between the 2.
THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 11:52 AM

1,261 posts, read 5,667,835 times
Interestingly enough, the Washington Post had an article today about taxes in the metro area: "A new comparison of tax burdens in the D.C. area reveals that the stereotype of tax-loving District bureaucrats hoovering up residents' riches is true for the lowest income level. A $25,000-a-year family, indeed, faces a greater burden in Washington than in suburban Maryland or Virginia. But at the $50,000 income level, the District turns out to have the lowest tax burden of the three jurisdictions, and for the next three higher brackets in the survey-- families with annual incomes of $75,000, $100,000 or $150,000 -- the District lands pretty much in the middle, ranking third among six area jurisdictions. "

Old 01-15-2008, 12:02 PM

Thanks..can you send me a link of that article...can't find it to save my life...

Old 01-15-2008, 12:31 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,667,835 times
Hope this works: washingtonpost.com

If it doesn't, the article is: Do the Math: District's Taxes aren't the worst

Old 01-15-2008, 12:38 PM

18 posts, read 99,956 times
Pa

I also recently relocated to Dc for work if hubby doesnt mind commuting MD has a train system that goes from Perryville Md to Dc see Maryland Transit Administration Home Page
I live in Cecil County Md and take the train from Perryville alot of people do and it is a lot cheaper and (do some research) less crime. We bought a 7.5 acre farmette for 300k

Old 01-15-2008, 01:00 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,352,797 times
Northern Virginia - particularly Fairfax County - is the job engine of the Washington metro, which itself is arguably the hottest job market in the country. Fairfax and Loudoun counties joust back and forth annually for the title of the country's highest average household income. (Fairfax won the "gold" in 2007 versus Loudoun's "silver".)

Although you are looking to rent, you may want to know this in the long run: in my observation, to buy an "average" home in NOVA will be $300K for a 1B condo, $500K for a townhome or rambler, and $700K for a single family home. For anything cheaper, you will have to commute more than 30 miles/60 minutes from DC, face a lot of home improvements or live in an unpopular area. Areas that you may find most attractive - e.g. Reston, Vienna, Falls Church, McLean, anywhere within a mile of Metrorail - are likely to cost much more.

In short, all the above has conspired to make Northern Virginia more expensive than the MD suburbs. That's not to say that Montgomery and Howard counties are bargains. You would probably benefit from chatting with people on the Maryland forum about specifics there.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman68 View Post
Pa

I also recently relocated to Dc for work if hubby doesnt mind commuting MD has a train system that goes from Perryville Md to Dc see Maryland Transit Administration Home Page
I live in Cecil County Md and take the train from Perryville alot of people do and it is a lot cheaper and (do some research) less crime. We bought a 7.5 acre farmette for 300k
Perryville is probably at about the midpoint between Philly and DC. In fact, by some definitions, Cecil County is an exurb of the Philadelphia metro. Unless the OP's husband can do some of his work on the MARC train, he many not be very happy making that three-hour-plus daily commute.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:46 PM

Thanks-
I am aware of the MARC system in MD and how expensive Montgomery County, MD is.-that is why Howard County, MD seems to be more desirable. I had focused my search mainly on MD simply on the fact that people said there were not many JEWS in Fairfax county and they are not off on Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur....BUT, people at my husband's work said to look in VA...the commute would be better....Perhaps, they are not looking at the full picture..house, kid, schools....Sounds like my assessment may be right that MD is more affordable PLUS while fairfax schools are great...I am learning that so are Howard county schools...Any of these schools will probably be a step up from my son's current school.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:02 PM

11 posts, read 54,568 times
Commuting to DC from VA might be easier compared to commuting from Howard County.

However, traffic in general is much worse in Northern VA than it is in Howard County. It might be different now, but back in the early-mid '90s, I was rarely in a traffic jam. Compare that to VA, where traffic jams are guaranteed to happen on the beltway, every weekday from 6:00 AM - 10:00 AM (sometimes 11).

Old 01-15-2008, 02:37 PM

My ladyfriend is a teacher in Fairfax County Public Schools and I don't recall her school closing for the Jewish holidays. Beyond that, Fairfax is one of the most diverse counties anywhere. While I haven't personally seen any synagogues in my two years here, I'm sure there have got to be some around. Try googling "Fairfax County synagogues".

Beyond Montgomery County cities like Bethesda, Chevy Chase and especially up Rockville, the MD 'burbs are relatively inexpensive, "relatively" being the operative word. While I'd defer to the MD forum, I'd imagine that Howard County schools are fine as a whole. Since your husband will be working in the District and not in job magnet Northern VA, his commute won't be quite as horrendous. I still think the 30 miles = 60 minutes rule would still be in effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or