Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be okay with the Redskins moving their stadium to NoVA?
Yes 21 33.33%
No 35 55.56%
It depends 4 6.35%
I'm not Sure, Need More Information 3 4.76%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 09:28 AM

210 posts, read 418,162 times

Advertisements

I don't accept the notion that DC/Maryland fans will stop going to the games if the stadium is built in VA. Virginia is home to the majority of Redskins season ticket holders and they've been making the trek to Maryland for games going on 20 years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 09:34 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,537,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAEER View Post
I don't accept the notion that DC/Maryland fans will stop going to the games if the stadium is built in VA. Virginia is home to the majority of Redskins season ticket holders and they've been making the trek to Maryland for games going on 20 years now.
Virginia is one thing. Loudoun is a whole nother. Putting a stadium in Loudoun for MD surbanites would be the equivalent of making Northern Virginians drive to Baltimore for the games (~50 miles).

Old 04-14-2015, 10:07 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,573,275 times
This will never happen (in Loudoun), for several of the reasons already mentioned, plus a few more. For instance, public transportation. Where are you going to put a gigantic football stadium in Loudoun County that a WMATA rail station could even remotely service? The only site I can think of would be the large parcel next to the Greenway and next to what will ultimately become the final station on the Silverline. But, there's not enough retail and or life/safety support or availability of space to construct around it. Plus, Who really thinks the Broadlands won't blow a gasket over having a stadium in their back yard? Not to mention, all of the huge land investment plays out there already from the area's top home builders. If you think your home will appreciate because of this, think again.

But, the other issue is the Greenway itself. True, the owners of the Greenway would probably flip with joy over charging 100,000 $12 to come to a game every other weekend, but those who'd come out would probably not enjoy this hidden gem of Loudoun. What, route them down 7 instead? Yeah, that sounds like fun.

The logistics of this idea for Loudoun just don't fly. Heck, they (Redskins) already have a facility out there that they abandoned for Richmond instead, even though several of the players live in Loudoun anyway.

If this were to actually happen in Loudoun, I sure hope someone from the DOJ audits the process extensively, as I'm sure it would be ripe with political BS.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:47 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,007,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
This will never happen (in Loudoun), for several of the reasons already mentioned, plus a few more. For instance, public transportation. Where are you going to put a gigantic football stadium in Loudoun County that a WMATA rail station could even remotely service? The only site I can think of would be the large parcel next to the Greenway and next to what will ultimately become the final station on the Silverline. But, there's not enough retail and or life/safety support or availability of space to construct around it. Plus, Who really thinks the Broadlands won't blow a gasket over having a stadium in their back yard? Not to mention, all of the huge land investment plays out there already from the area's top home builders. If you think your home will appreciate because of this, think again.

But, the other issue is the Greenway itself. True, the owners of the Greenway would probably flip with joy over charging 100,000 $12 to come to a game every other weekend, but those who'd come out would probably not enjoy this hidden gem of Loudoun. What, route them down 7 instead? Yeah, that sounds like fun.

The logistics of this idea for Loudoun just don't fly. Heck, they (Redskins) already have a facility out there that they abandoned for Richmond instead, even though several of the players live in Loudoun anyway.

If this were to actually happen in Loudoun, I sure hope someone from the DOJ audits the process extensively, as I'm sure it would be ripe with political BS.
I think you are mistaken here. The Redskins are still in Ashburn. This is where the team practices and has their front office operations at throughout the season. They only have the facility in Richmond for training camp, which last a couple of weeks towards the end of summer.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:50 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,007,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wycoff View Post
There aren't enough Redskins fans in Northern Virginia to support it. You see more Steelers, Cowboys, Ravens, Patriots, Seahawks, etc. gear around here than you see Redskins. Snyder should move the team to Richmond. Plus, there's no way in the world that Northern Virginians will agree to pay for a stadium.
There may not be as concerned an amount of Redskin fans in NoVA but there are a lot in Virginia as a whole. For instance you have a huge fan base in the Hampton Roads region where they annually hold events down there for their fans. Then you also have to consider that the die hard fans will still likely travel regardless of where the team is in the region.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:12 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,499,959 times
To address any article on a potential new Redskins stadium I have to assume there is some politics involved. Even if the organization knows exactly where they want the stadium I think it has no problem with playing all potential suitors against one another until they get exactly what they like.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:13 PM

3,260 posts, read 2,351,862 times
Where are the NY Jets located? Isn't it in New Jersey? Loudoun County would be perfect for the new 'Skins stadium. The team headquarters is in Loudoun County and it's where they practice. Most of the Redskins live in Loudoun.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Where are the NY Jets located? Isn't it in New Jersey? Loudoun County would be perfect for the new 'Skins stadium. The team headquarters is in Loudoun County and it's where they practice. Most of the Redskins live in Loudoun.
I do not think this is a good comparison. Loudon County is farther from DC than the Meadowlands is from NYC.

DC to Loudon county is about 46 miles and the distance from Times Square to the Meadowlands is about 9 miles.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:09 AM

6,751 posts, read 6,760,745 times
8x a year, mostly on weekends, and also less dependent on the Beltway. The current location in PG is also just a few miles from the edge of Ravens territory. Seems like a lot more fans in Fairfax, Loudoun, and the rest of Virginia could do a lot less driving.

Also, as long as Snyder owns the team, you also don't have to worry about them hosting any playoff games.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
8x a year, mostly on weekends, and also less dependent on the Beltway.
Less dependent on the Beltway and Metro for sure. But what would it be dependent on Rt. 7? 28?

I am not sure the Loudon alternatives are better are all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia