Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be okay with the Redskins moving their stadium to NoVA?
Yes 21 33.33%
No 35 55.56%
It depends 4 6.35%
I'm not Sure, Need More Information 3 4.76%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:46 AM

159 posts, read 277,966 times
To answer the OP's question... No, I am not ok with the 'skins moving to Loudon Co.

As a long time 'skins fan, the political jockeying has begun and I look forward to the high-stakes soap drama for the next decade. The 'skins do win off the field. However, the fan stadium experience would not improve (disappointing/terrible on-field performance, traffic, high-cost of travel to the proposed stadium). A major failure of Fedex Field is the lack public transportation. The proposed stadium would be at/near the end of the new SILVER line, that will do little to ease local traffic issues. Traffic overflow for 8 NFL regular season games (do you really expect the Snyder led 'skins to be a perennial playoff team?) would further clog Fairfax Co so I am a bigger opponent there.

I can see the owners of the Greenway and the Airport Authority licking their chops at this future revenue stream. Will it benefit NVa? Add in summer concerts, US men/women's National Team soccer games, Olympic qualifiers, a 2nd winter Super Bowl??? Maybe but I see more time spent in traffic for the local peasants.

As others have mentioned, the location relative to Washington does not matter. IMHO, the old RFK site continues to be the most ideal location in the Metro area. Here is the chance to return the 'skins to the District. I think Snyder needs to mutate his organization into a perennial playoff team for that to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 09:05 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
RFK is where it needs to go. It's the "Washington" team. Washington is famous for it's landmarks. Football with the Monument in the skyline. Football with the Capitol in the skyline. That's the Redskins.

Seriously, a blimp shot of the stadium in Loudoun, it might as well be in Ohio. No backdrop to signify the "Washington" aspect of the team. I can hear Bradshaw right now "humdinger, that Costco parking lot sure looks purdy all light up and stuff, what a beautiful shot." or "now that's what I call a Mall!"

If they can fit a stadium into the skyline of Chicago, then they can fit one into DC. RFK is the proper spot for this to occur. Not to mention, a new soccer stadium has found a home downtown as well. Considering the huge fan-base for soccer on the international stage, which dwarfs the fan base of US football, and how international this city really is...

Nascar goes in the country. Not football. Just look at Kansas City Chief's and the KC Nascar track, which attracts nearly 16x's more fans on an annual basis than the Chief's do.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:55 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Another vote for RFK, or the site of RFK. If not there, then leave them where they are.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:49 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAEER View Post
If the 49ers can build their new stadium in Santa Clara the Redskins can build their new stadium in Loudoun.
Santa Clara is right outside San Jose, another large city in the Bay Area. Not really equivalent to Loudoun, other than the naming issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Could potentially be a great boon for toll revenue on the Dulles Toll Road too which could hopefully mean reduced toll increases over the long term.
Ha, you're kidding yourself.

Plus, there are about 100 million transactions on the Dulles Toll Road every year.
Even if you say 2 transaction points and going round-trip - that means only 25 million cars taking it; compare that to football traffic:
I'd say a generous estimate would be 50,000 round trip cars, 8 times a year*. So an extra 400K. Less than 2% increase - not moving the needle that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelborne_22033 View Post

I can see the owners of the Greenway and the Airport Authority licking their chops at this future revenue stream.
See above.

* "What’s that? Ah — Playoffs? Don’t talk about — playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game! Another game."

Old 04-17-2015, 01:55 PM

159 posts, read 277,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
Santa Clara is right outside San Jose, another large city in the Bay Area. Not really equivalent to Loudoun, other than the naming issue.

Ha, you're kidding yourself.

Plus, there are about 100 million transactions on the Dulles Toll Road every year.
Even if you say 2 transaction points and going round-trip - that means only 25 million cars taking it; compare that to football traffic:
I'd say a generous estimate would be 50,000 round trip cars, 8 times a year*. So an extra 400K. Less than 2% increase - not moving the needle that much.
2% increase... Nothing to sneeze about esp for roads like the 495/95 HOT lanes because the tolls get progressively higher when there is more traffic. You also did not include summer concerts and when the local peasants who normally don't use these lanes but get frustrated being stuck in traffic. A new stadium in Loudon Co could relieve some traffic heading to Jiffy Lube Live on I66 during concert season. I've been stuck in that crap many times.

Monday and Thursday nights NFL games? More nightmares.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:16 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,309,590 times
I'm not a fan (ha!) of this idea. Maybe if it were near the 606 Metro station instead of the Ashburn Metro station, but even then I feel like we Loudoun residents may suffer more than benefit from this. Our county already pays the Redskins organization to keep their HQ here, and then they moved training camp to Richmond anyway. (See Should Loudoun County still be paying the Redskins $500,000 per year? from the Washington Post, 2/28/2014.)

Old 05-23-2022, 02:56 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,538,769 times
Rumor's that the Commanders have an agreement to purchase the Horner Road / Telegraph Road commuter parking lots, at I-95 and Prince William Parkway north of Potomac Mills, for a stadium complex.

(Putting this in this thread since the newer ones have thread titles specific to Loudoun.)

Old 05-23-2022, 03:27 PM

197 posts, read 165,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Rumor's that the Commanders have an agreement to purchase the Horner Road / Telegraph Road commuter parking lots, at I-95 and Prince William Parkway north of Potomac Mills, for a stadium complex.

(Putting this in this thread since the newer ones have thread titles specific to Loudoun.)
thank god.. its not loudoun

Like it or not... pwc is cool with being a gambling and sports hub. Rosies in dumfries.. an larger one off 234 coming soon... and now the stadium to potomac shores.

the traffic ... and foot traffic.. and all that goes with it will be a glorious scene to behold..

no more quick wegmans trips on sundays... i feel for my old neighbors who didn't sell during this latest mini bubble.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:00 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallystoppedlurking View Post
thank god.. its not loudoun

Like it or not... pwc is cool with being a gambling and sports hub. Rosies in dumfries.. an larger one off 234 coming soon... and now the stadium to potomac shores.

the traffic ... and foot traffic.. and all that goes with it will be a glorious scene to behold..

no more quick wegmans trips on sundays... i feel for my old neighbors who didn't sell during this latest mini bubble.
I don't think the decision is made. Yes they bought 200 acres but I heard on some analysis last night that something like that is often done to amp up the decisions and bids. They can easily change their mind and probably will.

Getting to Woodbridge/PWC would be a logistical nightmare for fans. Just no good way for it unless you have a private helicopter.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:21 PM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Snyder wants them in DC. He wants out of Maryland, never wanted the team there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia