Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 01:15 PM

11 posts, read 17,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Does it have a direct method of egress to the outside?
Yes, it has a direct access to outside of the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 01:19 PM

9,894 posts, read 14,184,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pichalite View Post
Yes, it has a direct access to outside of the house.

You are renting a room in someone's house. that is perfectly legal in Loudoun as long as the room meets the criteria of being a bedroom, which is described in a previous post.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Why do you think the LL is lying?
I explained the situation in another reply.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I think the only thing that may save you is if you did not sign a lease for the second room.
I did not sign lease for the second room. It was only a confirmation through SMS text.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Are there any perhaps unpermitted additions and finishes to the basement, such as a kitchen?
I don't think so. The kitchen is like a wet bar. There is no fixed stove or anything as such.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
It is legal to rent out basement bedrooms, as long as they have proper egress to outside.

Are there any perhaps unpermitted additions and finishes to the basement, such as a kitchen?
The second bedroom I asked for has no direct outside access. It has no window or ventilation. There are two doors to it. One connects to hall and another connects to Bathroom. There is second door in the bathroom that connects to same hall.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:45 PM

9,894 posts, read 14,184,219 times
Quote:
The second bedroom I asked for has no direct outside access. It has no window or ventilation. There are two doors to it. One connects to hall and another connects to Bathroom. There is second door in the bathroom that connects to same hall.
Well, then I would say you have a pretty good case for not paying anything for the 2nd room that you never occupied.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Well, then I would say you have a pretty good case for not paying anything for the 2nd room that you never occupied.
My room also doesn't have a egress window. There is a window for ventilation near ceiling but one cannot exit through that window in case of emergency. So, can I ask my landlord to keep my deposit for last month rent instead of paying him anything as I will be leaving end of April. The place is kept extremely clean with no damages at all. From all this, I understand that both rooms are illegal for landlord to rent as bedrooms and I also found that it is illegal for tenant to stay in that kind of room - http://www.loudoun.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/897

So I believe he has no strong case against me. In fact, I have a good case against him. But I'm not a jerk to file a case against him unless he troubles me.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:45 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,504,476 times
Quote:
My room also doesn't have a egress window. There is a window for ventilation near ceiling but one cannot exit through that window in case of emergency. So, can I ask my landlord to keep my deposit for last month rent instead of paying him anything as I will be leaving end of April. The place is kept extremely clean with no damages at all. From all this, I understand that both rooms are illegal for landlord to rent as bedrooms and I also found that it is illegal for tenant to stay in that kind of room - http://www.loudoun.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/897

So I believe he has no strong case against me. In fact, I have a good case against him. But I'm not a jerk to file a case against him unless he troubles me.
I do not think you have a case against him for the code violations as you do not enforce codes.

You may also run into some problems complaining about the egress now on a room you have lived in for a while. I think I would mention it to him and just try to pay the full rent for the room you are in and see if you can get out of the rent for the other room.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I do not think you have a case against him for the code violations as you do not enforce codes.

You may also run into some problems complaining about the egress now on a room you have lived in for a while. I think I would mention it to him and just try to pay the full rent for the room you are in and see if you can get out of the rent for the other room.
Yes, I will pay him the rent for my room provided he pays me back security deposit. Thank you all for suggestions. I will post back what happens at the end of month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia