U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2008, 04:05 PM

10 posts, read 22,063 times

Advertisements

What are the pros and cons about living in Fredericksburg as a renter with a family?

Are there family activities to do in Fred?

Is there also a night life for my husband and I?

Are there different chruches to choose from (that are welcoming).

Are the people friendly?

What is the best hospital or medical center that a nurse can work at?

Sorry for so many questions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 05:40 PM

4 posts, read 18,579 times
Default All the right questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnabanurse View Post
What are the pros and cons about living in Fredericksburg as a renter with a family?

Are the people friendly?

These are all valid questions to ask about your possible future new home. These are my answers:

1. Renting affords you the time to find the 'right' neighborhood for you and your family without committing to the area for a long time. There are a number of renters in the area. Some are military families that come into the area, rent for 3-4 years and leave. The con is that if you do find that you want to settle in that area and even home, then you've lost some valuable equity and tax saving which you would have otherwise gained. The area does not look 'down' upon renters.

2. Fred is very family-friendly. There are activities organized by the local government or churches. www.visitfred.com has a list of what is going on every month in Stafford, Spotsy and the city. Obviously there's is a lot more in the Summer. The area is rich in history, so there are always educational and fun activities.

3. Nightlife in the city is almost non-existing. There is a restaurant downtown that in the evenings converts into a bar. They have good music and the cover was $5. There are a couple of other restaurants/bars in the area called Central Park www.centralparktoday.com . This area is very family friendly so don't expect it to have a very vibrant nightlife. A number of people go into DC or Richmond to go clubbing.

4. There are a lot of churches in the area. Pick a denomination, visit it and see if it's a fit for you and your family.

5. Fred is part of the South and the people here are friendly. I have not encountered any one rude while living here.

6. Mary Washington Hospital under MediCorp Health System www.medicorp.org is one of best and largest in the area. I used to volunteer at MWH and it was great, of course there were always the people who complain. But they treat their employees well. Outside the area to is Prince William Health System www.pwhs.org and Inova in Fairfax www.inova.com. Richmond also has its own hospital www.virginiahospitalcenter.com

I would suggest that you take a trip here before you decide to move here and experience it for yourself. Perhaps going a little further south with lower taxes or being a little closer to DC with more nightlife would suit you and your family. But in Fredericksburg you are in the middle of it all.

I hope this answers your questions. And don't hesitate to keep asking.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:52 PM

10 posts, read 22,063 times
Thank you so much for your response. We dont go clubbing often, at the most once a year if that but we do like to go out to plays and things of that nature. I appreciate your response and we will be visiting Fred real soon.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:00 PM

4 posts, read 18,579 times
Default No problem

Glad to help. If you do decide to move here, or anywhere else in NoVA, I would be happy to help as your agent. If you'd like, PM me offline.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:38 AM

555 posts, read 2,521,429 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for your response. We dont go clubbing often, at the most once a year if that but we do like to go out to plays and things of that nature. I appreciate your response and we will be visiting Fred real soon.
We LOVED living in Fredericksburg. We used to live right across for the Fredericksburg Christian School off of 17 south (great school if your kids are school age by the way). Downtown is great! They have great festivals and it's a real good family area. Traffic kinda stinks, but that's about everywhere in the DC area.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:03 AM

47 posts, read 296,415 times
I moved from the Woodbridge /Dale City area to Fredericksburg about 1.5 years ago and havent regretted it since. Some people will tell you that the traffic is bad, but in relation to the northern neighboring county (I live in Stafford County) you could not go to the store to "just pick something up" and be back at home in less than an hour. Or in other terms...... dont leave home at half time of the big game while living in Prince William COunty.... you will surely miss the remainder of the game!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:15 PM

7 posts, read 15,181 times
Have you decided to move to Fredericksburg yet? Well, we moved here from Nashville, Tn 3 years ago June 2008 and it has been a HUGE adjustment for us! I read all the replies above and haven't had as good as of an experience here like the other people. We now have our house for sale because we are true southerners and this is not the south! It use to be but, now there are so many foreigners (people from all over). If you are from somewhere besides the south you will love this place. We rented for 1 1/2 years and then bought right down the street in the same neighborhood (Leeland Station). Don't get me wrong this is a great place if you are use to the fast pace, lots of traffic and lots of people from all over the world poured into a small town. We have found the people to not be so friendly. I keep looking. I think we are just use to the south where everybody speaks to everybody and neighbors are truly your friends and are interested in you not just being nosy. It has been a culture shock here. Our neighborhood is very nice and the right family would love our big house. We wished we liked it here better because their are so many opportunities here for us to retire and stay here. All or neighbors love it here so it must be us!!! The schools have been fine in Stafford county so far. A church was hard to find. Downtown is really neat. History is really big here and easy to get involved in around here. It is hard to run to the store here since the traffic is heavy most of the time. It is 7 miles to the main shopping area and it takes at least 25-30 minutes most of the time to get there. Locally owned restaurants are hard to find that have good food and good customer service except the chain restaurants. The VRE is in walking distance to our neighborhood and Conway Elem. The VRE can be good when it is on time and when the summer heat doesn't slow the trains down on the tracks. My husband carpools most of the time and says he likes that better. It takes him about 1 hour and 15 mins. to get to Arlington on a light traffic day.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:32 PM

741 posts, read 3,663,825 times
Quote:

Are the people friendly?

1. Now is a great time to buy OR rent. The slow housing market has lowered prices a LOT, but also has opened a lot of rental opportunities. Since people can't sell their house for what they want (or need to break even), a lot are looking to rent, just to break even on the bills. You'll have a good amount of options if you want to rent a house in the area.

2. There are a ton of activities. The movie theaters have free kids movies in the summer, there's concerts, there's Kings Dominion close by (amusement park with a big water park), and all kinds of other things to do.

3. You mentioned that you don't go clubbing much... but if you like theater, there's a dinner theater off exit 133 (Riverside dinner theater). Also local theater groups and high schools give good performances each year. There are several local bands (rappahanock pops, Fredericksburg big band), and their concerts are always fun. There are also a lot of chain restaurants that also have bars...

4. There are a ton of churches to pick from... several of almost every denomination. You'll just have to try them all out to see which is the best fit for you. As for them being welcoming... they all have to be. There has been so much growth, and people moving into and out of the area... it's not like it's been the same group of people forever.

5. I personally think the people are friendly. The previous poster is right in that some people are from other countries, and might not speak english well... and so they might not say 'hi' because of the language barrier... but most people I have seen are friendly. Some people who are new to the area kind of clam-up though... since they don't know people. There really are all kinds of people, since the area has like tripled in population over the last 20-30 years... there isn't really a 'norm' so to speak. People in Fredericksburg are from all over the place.

6. Mary Washington Hospital is in downtown Fredericksburg, and is really nice. they are well on their way in constructing a smaller hospital in Stafford (To the north). Soon they will be building an emergency room near Massaponax (To the South). Another full hospital is being built south of Fredericksburg, off the 126 exit, south. It'll be behind the new SuperTarget down there, East of I-95 (There'll be a bridge from Rt. 1, and an entrence off of Rt. 17) Besides that, all other hospitals are in Richmond, or up north past the Quantico Marine base.

7. That's not too many questions at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia