Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 12:38 PM

210 posts, read 419,153 times

Advertisements

Washington-area population increase slowing down, census figures indicate - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 02:28 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,416,680 times
These kinds of articles come out every 2 or 3 years. Insidenova just ran an article that the region is expected to grow by 1.6 million by 2040. Which is it?

Old 04-20-2015, 02:43 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,326,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
These kinds of articles come out every 2 or 3 years. Insidenova just ran an article that the region is expected to grow by 1.6 million by 2040. Which is it?
Can't it be both? The article said population growth is slowing, not that the population is decreasing. Maybe there won't be 1.6 million increase by 2040, who knows. But there will be a lot more people here in 2040, I know that. And honestly, it's probably a good thing for area residents if growth does slow down. And it was bound to happen anyways with all the gov't budget cuts.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:59 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,416,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Can't it be both? The article said population growth is slowing, not that the population is decreasing. Maybe there won't be 1.6 million increase by 2040, who knows. But there will be a lot more people here in 2040, I know that. And honestly, it's probably a good thing for area residents if growth does slow down. And it was bound to happen anyways with all the gov't budget cuts.
I definitely agree. At this point it wouldn't hurt the area to lose some of its population but the article made it seem like the area is losing more people faster than they're coming in and I don't know if that's actually true but either way I don't see it as necessarily a bad thing considering how overpopulated the area is currently.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:58 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,327,734 times
Beware Stalling Growth in Northern Virginia | Bacon's Rebellion

Old 04-20-2015, 06:11 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,790,278 times
I think the article is saying that net migration for Fairfax County, Arlington County, and Alexandria City was negative last year. So, yes, more people were leaving than coming, but you also have to account for births before you determine population growth/decline, and once you factor that in, you still have a small growth in population. The other DC area counties are still seeing net positive migration.

It's an interesting article. I think you can make a lot or a little out of it. One year does not make a trend, but I also think we'd be fooling ourselves to think that the negatives complained about often on this board like cost of living and congestion are not taking its toll on the region. Of course, if people can't find jobs elsewhere, they'll put up with some of that, but if they can, many will leave.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:37 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,870,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
I think the article is saying that net migration for Fairfax County, Arlington County, and Alexandria City was negative last year. So, yes, more people were leaving than coming, but you also have to account for births before you determine population growth/decline, and once you factor that in, you still have a small growth in population. The other DC area counties are still seeing net positive migration.

It's an interesting article. I think you can make a lot or a little out of it. One year does not make a trend, but I also think we'd be fooling ourselves to think that the negatives complained about often on this board like cost of living and congestion are not taking its toll on the region. Of course, if people can't find jobs elsewhere, they'll put up with some of that, but if they can, many will leave.
I think if the economy ever really picks up steam and other affordable places like Charlotte and Atlanta start to add jobs at a good clip, the migration out will be much more visible. Having said that, no, traffic won't improve here.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:35 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,448,020 times
Good, about ****ing time.
Hopefully those stupid McMansions, shanty town homes, and greedy developers can get the hell out soon before they ruin anymore of Nova.
Don't let the door hit ys.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:45 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,544,568 times
Probably a short blip.

A Republican controlled Senate and House is going to spend more on Defense which will be good for NOVA (and a corresponding increase in domestic spending demanded by Democrats).

Old 04-21-2015, 07:44 AM

540 posts, read 793,167 times
It is really pretty simple. There are no more large areas of land to develop in the inner-ring suburbs, so you aren't getting huge growth just from additional housing. The job situation has leveled out here while it is slowly improving throughout the country, meaning that less people are forced to move here to find work. And, most importantly, it is obscenely expensive here and people are deciding that they can afford to live somewhere else on a lower salary.

Really, this is just an indication that we are getting more to a balanced situation rather than rapid growth. I don't think that is a problem at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia