U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2008, 09:58 PM
 
8 posts, read 21,386 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be relocating from CA to Sterling,VA because of new job. I am seeking suggestions on the best places to live in and around my work place "Sally Ride Drive, Sterling, VA 20164". My expectations are safe and decent apartments to rent and schools and stores near by. Dont prefer commuting far between work and home.

Thanks in advance,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2008, 06:20 AM
 
Location: Home is where the heart is
15,400 posts, read 27,706,981 times
Reputation: 19077
I would recommend renting in 20165 part of Sterling. You will have to drive 5-10 minutes to work during rush hour, but the neighborhood is much better. 20164 isn't horrible, but the apartments in that neighborhood often have petty crime and noise problems.

Also, be careful to drive the speed limit along Sterling Blvd. near the "astronaut" streets (which includes Sally Ride). It's easy to get a ticket right there.

Are you coming from southern California? If so, I could probably give you comparisons to towns you know near LA. I lived in LA for almost 20 years, and know the west side of town pretty well.

Welcome to Virginia! It may take you a little while to acclimate, but once you do a lot of people from California seem to like it here. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to give you the perspective of someone who has lived in both places.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 10:57 AM
 
8 posts, read 21,386 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you "Normie" for the response.

Yes, I am relocating from Zip 91773 ,CA to Sterling, VA.
I will be moving with my wife and 2+ yr daughter.
All I look for is my home should be
1. Close to work place
2. good schools around and stores near by.
3. Apartments got to be safe and decent. (I will be renting an apartment)
4. Fun places around to take the family out on weekends.

What is your feedback on Ashburn and driving to work, Is it going to be too far and time consuming in peak hours?

Any inputs on this from you is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Richmond, VA
2,309 posts, read 1,939,842 times
Reputation: 973
Ashburn is nice...we are renting there. (moving into our home next week) and my husband commutes to Tysons and it really isn't all that bad. Sterling is just "down the road." Check out Archstone apartments. Archstone Stoneridge is what we are in. (go to Archstone.com and then go to Ashburn and Stoneridge will be the choice) What I like about it is it is clean, safe, and right off of Rt 7, AND it is on the Sterling side of Ashburn, so the commute should be about 10-15 minutes. (I think...not sure of Sally Ride)
And the schools are good here in Ashburn and the apartment complex offers a gym and a rec room with pool table and a swimming pool. We rent a 2 bedroom, 2 bath with one car garage and pay $1400...
Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Loudoun County, VA
1,148 posts, read 3,584,379 times
Reputation: 408
We live in Ashburn and my husband commutes to Sterling every day. Driving on Waxpool/Ashburn Farm PKWY (that road has many names..) stinks and is very backed up. Some mornings it takes him 30+min to go down 4 miles. But we're from CA too so it's still not as bad as the SF Bay Area for example.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 01:05 PM
 
8 posts, read 21,386 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
Ashburn is nice...we are renting there. (moving into our home next week) and my husband commutes to Tysons and it really isn't all that bad. Sterling is just "down the road." Check out Archstone apartments. Archstone Stoneridge is what we are in. (go to Archstone.com and then go to Ashburn and Stoneridge will be the choice) What I like about it is it is clean, safe, and right off of Rt 7, AND it is on the Sterling side of Ashburn, so the commute should be about 10-15 minutes. (I think...not sure of Sally Ride)
And the schools are good here in Ashburn and the apartment complex offers a gym and a rec room with pool table and a swimming pool. We rent a 2 bedroom, 2 bath with one car garage and pay $1400...
Good luck!
Thanks "twinma". Infact when I looked online at apartments in Ashburn, my search stopped at Stoneridge. My only concerns are, my kid is 2+yr old and I plan to put her to day care and I should be doing drop-off /pickup of my kid to/from school. How convinient is this Stoneridge to day cares/montessori. When I did a google map of this Stoneridge, it looked isolated from rest of the places. Is it really isolated? Or do you still feel in town?

What is your feedback on Saddle Ridge apartments in Ashburn?

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 01:12 PM
 
8 posts, read 21,386 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
We live in Ashburn and my husband commutes to Sterling every day. Driving on Waxpool/Ashburn Farm PKWY (that road has many names..) stinks and is very backed up. Some mornings it takes him 30+min to go down 4 miles. But we're from CA too so it's still not as bad as the SF Bay Area for example.
Do you live in rented apartments? Whats the name? I didnt know drive on Waxpool is time consuming. Thanks for the inputs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Richmond, VA
2,309 posts, read 1,939,842 times
Reputation: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion78 View Post
Thanks "twinma". Infact when I looked online at apartments in Ashburn, my search stopped at Stoneridge. My only concerns are, my kid is 2+yr old and I plan to put her to day care and I should be doing drop-off /pickup of my kid to/from school. How convinient is this Stoneridge to day cares/montessori. When I did a google map of this Stoneridge, it looked isolated from rest of the places. Is it really isolated? Or do you still feel in town?

What is your feedback on Saddle Ridge apartments in Ashburn?

Thanks in advance.
don't get confused between Stoneridge the AREA and Stoneridge apartments by Archstone. This is right off of rt 7...and there are lots of daycares around...matter of fact there are 2 in this complex... (about a mile away. I think one is a Goddard and the others is a Little Learners or something like that,
Leesburg Apartments at ArchstoneApartments.com
I have twins a little younger than yours and I really like it here...I mean, as much as one can like apartment living when used to a single family.

the link SAYS leesburg, but it takes you to the Ashburn Archstone Stoneridge apartments.

Last edited by ShannonMilligan; 01-17-2008 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: more info
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Richmond, VA
2,309 posts, read 1,939,842 times
Reputation: 973
one more thing...i just picked any date for availability, so if you change the date different floor plans will be available.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2008, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Home is where the heart is
15,400 posts, read 27,706,981 times
Reputation: 19077
Ashburn is good. Cascades is also good, and I believe the apartments near Dulles Town Center are pretty good (I don't personally know anyone who lives there, though, so this is hearsay).

Almost every town is pretty nice, with the one exception of 20164 zip code. And like I said, that area isn't horrible... it just has some petty crime issues.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top