Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 07:01 AM

407 posts, read 966,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I don't disagree with any of the rest of your post, but I disagree with this part. "Hispanic" is a linguistic heritage, not a race. Thus police reports and demographic surveys usually categorize it separately from black/white/Asian. I have worked with Hispanics who were of paler complexion than mine--and I am one pasty SOB. I'm pretty sure my skin tone is offered in a Benjamin Moore ceiling paint. (And there are of course black people--usually Dominicans--with Spanish names. Like Sammy Sosa. Oh, wait--he's white now.)
SNIP......

LOL, this is the last place I thought I'd find something really funny this morning...but you went and did it with your Sammy Sosa comment. And I also agree on the "hispanic", it means language, so there are white, light, and dark Hispanics from different areas all over the world. I have a good friend who happens to be Nigerian. When people call him African/American he gets very upset and tells them he is not....because he is Nigerian...but he does say "I am black". I am white and grew up in a black neighborhood in NYC (some would say ghetto but it wasn't), I still call black people "black" because I can't know where they come from just because of the color of their skin. Some Caribbean people also don't like being called African/American. I also know lots of Portuguese people with "Spanish" names, they speak Pourteguese, not Spanish. Thanks for the unexpected laugh this morning.

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-22-2015 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: fixed quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 08:10 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzmatrix View Post
In July I will be moving to a job in the Manassas/Woodbridge area from Cary, North Carolina? (One office is in Manassas, another in Woodbridge)

I am a 30-year old male. I am Hispanic (culturally I am more white than Hispanic).
If you know anything about Cary, NC, it is mostly filled with upper class white folk and middle-class executives. I am looking for the same in Northern Virginia. I have heard good things of Bristow and Gainesville. I heard rumors that traffic won't be too bad as long as I drive the opposite direction from DC.
Money wise? I'll be banking upper $70k. I am not sure whether I would want to move permanently to VA so I'll probably rent for the time being.

So folks, where should I look into moving? You get extra brownies points the more specific you are?
(city, neighborhood, address, apartment complex, etc.)
I get what you mean by culturally more White, you don't want to be shoved into the same box as low-income Salvadorans. Using the word "ghetto" is a little loaded though.

With that said, the upper class in Northern VA *will* include Blacks, Asians of all sorts, Hispanics, etc.), but it might be 70/30 White/other in western PWC, 50/50 or 60/40 in Western Fairfax, 75/25 in Vienna, and then 85/15 in the really ritzy parts of North Arlington/Falls Church. With that said, they aren't going to be arguing at all hours, playing loud music, drinking in public, and other behaviors stereotypically associated with a low-class sort of area. They might be a little standoffish at worst (and that's everyone).

If you're not sure where you want to live, you ought to be able to get a 1BR place for $1200-$1500 or so, while you sort your options and save your $$$; income of $75k gets you rent of $1875 a month (is dividing income by 40 a valid rule?) which puts you well in play for a 1BR place in Haymarket or Bristow. But you're not gonna be rolling like a bigshot on 75K even in Haymarket certainly not in a big SFH.

Lake Ridge in eastern PWC is nice too, you might even be able to break into the TH rental market on your income.

Now you COULD try living in Manassas City but some parts of there aren't all that nice, or even Front Royal or Warrenton where you'd save even more $$$ (1 BR for under a grand) but give some of it back at the pump (and even that depends on when they want you at Woodbridge, FroRo-Manassas is very doable, but not so much FroRo/Woodbridge.)

If you have student debt, a huge motorcycle you've absolutely got to have with you, or two 50 pound pit bulls, then Front Royal or Warrenton becomes more of a necessity since you will need a yard/shed/the money to pay your student loans.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:51 PM

5 posts, read 15,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
What's your housing budget? At upper $70k, you're probably not going to be able to afford to live in the upper class neighborhoods.

I live in proximity to the Springwoods at Lake Ridge apartment complex. It appears to be a decent complex in a nice area of Lake Ridge - 22192. From my observations, it is socioeconomically, racially, & culturally diverse so that might not fit your ideal. However, it is in a nice area of Woodbridge, relatively low crime, close to shopping and restaurants, and a convenient commute to Manassas.

The Dominion Lake Ridge apartments might be worth taking a peak at as well.

Housing budget? $800 - $1500 monthly.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:05 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,244 times
Quote:
I didn't bother or care to read any of the other posters remarks (beyond a brisk glance at baseball player references, cultural indifferences, breakdowns of linguistic heritages, etc.)

Under $1,500.00 a month in rent, there are roughly seventy rentals in PWC with a minimum of one bedroom.

Practically anywhere in PWC will get you to either of your office locations in a reasonable timeframe, as you should not have to hit either of the major highways to accomplish this.

If you are concerned about certain neighborhoods/streets in regards to crime etc, you can call the county and give the street address and get 'some' results. If sex offender status is a concern, no shortage of websites should help to provide results for that.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:56 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:
Since you'll be bouncing between Woodbridge and Manassas, suggest west of I95. There are loads of rentals along Minnieville in the zip code of 22192. You could also push to the area where Old Bridge rd intersects with Prince William pwky. Lots of townhouse complexes there with both agency and private owners that rent in that range. Your commute in either direction to Manassas and Woodbridge would be easy. Are you working at both those locations? Original post was somewhat unclear on with location(s).

Old 05-11-2015, 10:31 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Where is the OP? Why keep wasting time on this if he hasn't responded in 3 weeks time?

Old 05-11-2015, 10:55 AM

810 posts, read 1,024,927 times
Look 3 posts up...

Old 05-11-2015, 04:14 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,093,945 times
Quote:
In that case (and at the top of your budget) welcome to the world of heterogeneous garden apartments with contractor vans and taxis parked on the streets. Nothing wrong with that, I've lived in such an area for three years with no problems, just will not meet your Caryesque expectations by a long shot. I don't know what a "culturally white" Hispanic is, but I am sure there are plenty of them around here too.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:33 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongyang View Post
Look 3 posts up...
Thanks I can't see clearly.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:22 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
I would aim for the 22192 zip code. We do have cultural diversity but we do not have a ghetto vibe at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia