Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 09:49 PM

15 posts, read 18,889 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My family of four is currently living (renting) in Woodbridge and have been wanting to buy in Loudoun County for a few years. We like the older homes and towns, the landscape to the west, the farms and pumpkin patches for the kids, etc. (We are originally from small-town New England.) We'd been focusing our search on Purcellville (mainly due to the great schools) and old town Leesburg, which seems to have a combination of good and OK schools--that's sort of a concern, esp the very mixed reviews for Tuscarora High--but lots to do for adults and kids--and we love the old part of town. Then, when house hunting, we looked at this old home in Aldie. Beautiful property. Charming home. We were all smitten. The schools are well rated but...is there anything for kids to do in Aldie? I gather there's a newer part, where the upper level schools are, that has a bit of everything. What we would like in particular are teams and scout troops. Leesburg seems to have it all in that department. But we can't get the house out of our minds. It's perfect for us. Any info you may have on life in Aldie with kids, please share! Our kids would both be at Aldie elementary next year and then one would rise to Mercer the following year. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 03:50 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
The house you are looking at doesn't happen to be the blue two story one in the village, does it? If so, just go for it; that house and property are fantastic.

As for the kids and activities, why don't you call the school, and see what is offered?

Old 04-22-2015, 04:31 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,186 times
Aldie has scouts, soccer, etc. You'll have to drive farther for stores, etc., than you would if you chose Leesburg, but Dulles Landing is supposed to be opening some stores in June, I believe.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:33 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
I have a friend with kids who lives in Aldie - she is very happy there. It's a bit far out, but if you're not having to regularly drive in for anything, it seems like a nice place to live.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:35 AM

15 posts, read 18,889 times
spencgr, you are correct. I so appreciate your replies. We are at the "tossing and turning" stage of looking for homes. I have a terrible tendency to get swept up in the romance of old properties without being realistic about day-to-day life there. I'm trying to temper my idealism with some cold, hard facts. My daughter is on the cusp of middle school so I'm thinking in particular of her ability to make friends--she's going to be at an age soon where her world revolves around them! Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:21 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris12342004 View Post
spencgr, you are correct. I so appreciate your replies. We are at the "tossing and turning" stage of looking for homes. I have a terrible tendency to get swept up in the romance of old properties without being realistic about day-to-day life there. I'm trying to temper my idealism with some cold, hard facts. My daughter is on the cusp of middle school so I'm thinking in particular of her ability to make friends--she's going to be at an age soon where her world revolves around them! Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.
First of all, I'd buy the house for the view alone! What a great back yard! (My husband and I look at open houses of old homes for fun, and this was the first one to prompt him to ask if we would really consider moving.) When others are referring to Aldie, they are thinking of the newer developments going in further down 50. Being in the village will be quite different. I live down the road in Middleburg. I do know that those who live and work in the Aldie village are a tight community. What I don't know is how many children are there (I don't have any). My guess is that you likely be driving 10-20 minutes for everything you need. This includes shopping, activities, and dining. It becomes part of your lifestyle. I'm totally used to it now. In my mind, anything within 20 minutes is "right down the road".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: